• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jhammers

Removing Single Black Frames

Question

I have converted an old VHS-C collection to digital using Roxio Creator 2011 "Capture Video". Now I am trying to clean them up and producing DVD versions using "Video Wave". In each converted file there are these black frames - just 1 every few seconds. I want to remove them or replace them with either the preceding frame or the next frame. This will make the movies cleaner without the flashing I am seeing now. However I can't see how to do it either automatically (preferably) or manually if necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by jhammers

9 answers to this question

I have converted an old VHS-C collection to digital using Roxio Creator 2011 "Capture Video". Now I am trying to clean them up and producing DVD versions using "Video Wave". In each converted file there are these black frames - just 1 every few seconds. I want to remove them or replace them with either the preceding frame or the next frame. This will make the movies cleaner without the flashing I am seeing now. However I can't see how to do it either automatically (preferably) or manually if necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There might be an easy way. Follow this to create scenes. If that black frame is long enough, it will be detected as a scene. Just don't use those senes.

Otherwise, you will have to do it manually. Spread out the time line to be able to see the black frames.

I'm not sure why you are getting the black frames. Did you try to recapture? If they are as frequent as you say, you have a major task ahead of you. Do you see drop outs when you view the video on the VHS player?

It is a 'movie' now, one continuous flow from start to finish...

You will have to split at the beginning and end of each black area, then select the area and delete.

2 different approaches ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

There might be an easy way. Follow this to create scenes. If that black frame is long enough, it will be detected as a scene. Just don't use those senes.

Otherwise, you will have to do it manually. Spread out the time line to be able to see the black frames.

I'm not sure why you are getting the black frames. Did you try to recapture? If they are as frequent as you say, you have a major task ahead of you. Do you see drop outs when you view the video on the VHS player?

The trouble is these black frames are only one frame long and so are too small for scene detection. Yes I see them as dropouts on the VHS player.

It is a 'movie' now, one continuous flow from start to finish...

You will have to split at the beginning and end of each black area, then select the area and delete.

2 different approaches ;)

It won't let me do this either. Videowave won't let me do a split either side of one frame. There must be a limit on the minimum number of frames in single Panel...

It won't let me do this either. Videowave won't let me do a split either side of one frame. There must be a limit on the minimum number of frames in single Panel...

Split before a black frame the use Trim to remove the black frames from the right segment.

Split before a black frame the use Trim to remove the black frames from the right segment.

Ah yes. That works. Thanks. It is a horribly manual process though. I might just give up and keep the black frames (dropouts) in the production. It will take me hours to sift them out this way.

Ah yes. That works. Thanks. It is a horribly manual process though. I might just give up and keep the black frames (dropouts) in the production. It will take me hours to sift them out this way.

Yes there is an 11 frame limit with the split & delete approach, so Trim is the ONLY alternative.

Yes Hours is about right when fixing problems in Video... I did one 45 minute production and poured 40+ hours into editing...

The Source material makes all the difference!

Thanks. 40+ hours would be worth it if the originals were better quality or the content was really special but these home movies from the late 80s and early 90s that I am transferring to digital are never going to look real good anyway.

Mine was a project of home movies from the 60's (Super 8). And trying to correct color losses from 50 years was a daunting process...

But it is worth it in the end.