Backontrack 3. How To Use It?

Lynn Lynn

Question

The CHM files give me no help.

I see in this forum that someone found that Disaster Recovery worked for him, but he had other issues. I have thus far been unable to learn how to create a DVD, or perhaps it could be a CD, that could be placed into an optical drive, and the computer would boot therefrom. "Bootable " in the CHM file for C2010 mentions bootable disc, but mentions a disc image that is already on a hard drive. It does not explain how user should have created an ISO file, that when burned to an optical disc will result in a disaster recovery disk. Probably the whole process is explained somewhere, but not in any one place that I have been able to find.

I see a BackOnTrack folder in the Roxio folder in Program Files (x86). In that folder, I see File Backup and Disaster Recovery. Attempting to open some of the EXE files seems to do nothing, for good or ill. Starting haphazard EXE fles from Windows Explorer listings is not usually a good idea, and I shall not do more trial and error of that kind.

I tried the KB. I select C2010 as the product, and search on Disaster Recovery, and the four hits are 100% unrelated to C2010.

The downloadable c2010_userguide_enu.pdf was, obviously, written for some "legacy" product many versions ago, and not rewritten for this particular product. Searching for "disaster" in this PDF file mentions WinPE and nothing that seems relevant. Rather than go through all possible search terms, I just want to learn of a relevant kb or forum thread that starts from the beginning and goes to the end of the process of making a disaster recovery disk.

6 answers to this question

The CHM files give me no help.

I see in this forum that someone found that Disaster Recovery worked for him, but he had other issues. I have thus far been unable to learn how to create a DVD, or perhaps it could be a CD, that could be placed into an optical drive, and the computer would boot therefrom. "Bootable " in the CHM file for C2010 mentions bootable disc, but mentions a disc image that is already on a hard drive. It does not explain how user should have created an ISO file, that when burned to an optical disc will result in a disaster recovery disk. Probably the whole process is explained somewhere, but not in any one place that I have been able to find.

There is nothing in the PDF user manual which will help you with Back on Track, the only information available is in the Help files [press F1 to access them]

The Help files seem to have been written 'by a geek for other geeks' rather than for first-time users, so they take some trawling to get the information you're wanting. Here's what I've been able to work out as a sort of quick summary.

There are two types of backups you can make: Disaster Recovery Sets or Individual Volume Backups. In Disaster Recovery you backup a whole disk, and the other way you back up an individual "volume" - a part of a disk which has a drive letter assigned to it.

When you choose to make a Disaster Recovery Set, the first disc Back on Track makes is always a "Recovery Disc" that you can start your system with. After that comes C: and then any other volumes [D:, E: etc] on that drive. Since the Recovery Disc is always the same, you can skip making one if you still have one from last time.

To restore from your recovery set you restore from within Back on Track if it's working. If the system is damaged and won't boot, you start with the Recovery Disc and follow the prompts it gives you to restore the system. Be aware that there may be places when starting the process where the system seems to sit still for a minute or so until the next thing happens.

I hope this will get you moving. Sorry it took so long, but I had to do it all successfully myself before I could pass it on to you.

Couple of things.

Remember that the Disaster Recovery Disc that you can make only boots up to Roxio's BOT Recovery.All you can do with that disc is a full system recovery from a backup image you made previously.

Also you don't have to make that disc every time you make a backup.The disc you make the first time will be good at any time to start your computer into BOT's recovery mode.

The other bootable disc you've read about is a disc you can make with Creator Classic that will boot your system but you have to have files on your computer that you can burn to the disc that will make it bootable.It might boot you into another app or even to a C prompt.It all depends on the files you put on the disc.The main thing is the files you put on it have to be bootable in the first place.

Searching the CHM files with the term "backontrack" returns "No hits found."

Based upon the wording in the PDF manual I have come to the conclusion that it not so much a matter of geekiness on the part of the writer or his presumed readership that is the sole impediment to good understanding. One problem is that practically nothing in the manual was changed but the cover page, and the contents refer to some obsolete legacy version (which one I do not know), one that used the term Creator Classic. The wording of the menus is similar to 2010 but certainly not the same. If the user, in Burn Data Disc (There does not exist the Data-Copy Project tab referred to, and the term "Creator Classic" gives me no information.) clicks on Projects, because that is a term used in the manual,it does seem not lead to where the user needs to go. By trial and error, we try the gray circle with a blue arrowhead on the left side. Now the only relevant choice seems to be to burn a bootable image which is on the hard drive, by which I presume is meant an ISO file. If that is the case, and I only guess so, how was the ISO file created? Obviously, to me at least, there are several steps missing in the manual. The CHM file, searched with the term "bootable", is more current than the PDF, but still it seems to imply that there is a disc image file somewhere on the HD, without telling the user how this file was created.

Because you have gone through the process yourself, you have discovered the undocumented steps, by what efforts I can only guess, but can appreciate.

To create a disaster recovery disc, which I thought was one of the promises of C2010, (and also of C2011, according to the solicitations for me to "upgrade", with the ad copy explicitly calling out BackonTrack 4), I will need to learn the steps so far hidden to me.

BTW, after I had taught mathematics for three years, I became a computer programmer for a computer manufacturer. I documented systems utilities and apps that I had written, for the beginning users (and in those days, all users were beginners), in a teacherly fashion such that anyone who could read could know how to use my utilities and applications. Years later I wrote utilities for scientific programmers (think Apollo Program), and documented them appropriately for the intended readership. Most programmers that I knew would much prefer to get on with programming their next project than having to write good documentation.

If you have made notes of the successful steps you have taken, you can help not only me, but everyone else who needs to know, learn the hidden steps.

Bootable Disc.pdf

Lynn Lynn,

I'm not sure that your polemic style of writing is helping you to get the assistance you want. I am certainly finding it difficult going through your messages to see exactly what it is you want.

You say the PDF manual refers to "some obsolete legacy version, one that used the term Creator Classic". That's HERE in Creator 2010, under the menu item "Burn Data Disc Advanced". Perhaps you haven't found it yet, but I assure you that it does exist, and it is in Creator 2010, and the PDF manual is referring to Creator 2010. It just contains precious little reference to BackOnTrack.

post-208-082887300 1287975365.jpg

Now I think you are still wanting to know how to create a disaster recovery disc so that in the case of a complete disaster and unbootable Windows you can boot on this disc and then restore from a system backup.

I thought I covered that in my paragraph starting "When you choose to make a recovery disc. . . " by mentioning it's automatically made when you make a Disaster Recovery set, but it seems you haven't done that, so I'll go over it step by step. Here goes.

[1] Run BackOnTrack by going from the Creator 2010 home menu > Data/Copy > Backup and Restore

[2] Click on the Disaster Recovery icon

[3] Select and click on Backup Drive. Make sure 'Disaster Recovery Set (C,x)' is showing in the pull-down.

post-208-021532900 1287975392.jpg

[4] Click the orange button at the bottom right corner, and you'll see this box open with your burner selected

post-208-064947700 1287975415.jpg

[5] Insert a disc, CD-R recommended, and click on Create. BackOnTrack will then create the required recovery disc.

[6] After the recovery disc is completed and ejected you are invited to start inserting discs for your recovery data set. If you aren't wanting to backup your system disk, click on Cancel.

This is also covered in the on-line Help system, accessed by clicking on F1 while you're in disaster recovery.

post-208-024303400 1287975436.jpg

I hope this has done the trick. Can I clarify anything else for you?

Regards,

Brendon