• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Video Signal And Audio Choppy

duanebooth

Question

I have just installed Roxio Easy VHS to DVD onto my computer running xp sp3. I am getting no video signal either with my VHS player, DVD player or camcorder. Audio comes through but is choppy. I am using standard RCA connectors (yellow, red and white) from my devices straight to the connectors on the Roxio usb capture device. The usb device shows up for both audio and video in Device Manager. I even tried the S-video cable with no luck. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. All my devices are within 4 years old. The usb capture device is plugged in the rear directly to the board. I have tried with and without the pigtail.

System info:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2gb ram

320gb Western Digital hd

nVidia GeForce 6600 with 128mb ram pci-e

Easy VHS to DVD build 201B23A ENU

Thanks.

Edited by duanebooth

6 answers to this question

With XP and Vista especially, it is vital not to let the OS install any drivers!!!!

With the device UNplugged, open the Device Manager and expand Sound and Audio devices.

Plug in the device, there should be 2 entries that appear… Delete Both and unplug the device.

Reboot and run the Repair option for the software – Add/Remove Programs.

No insert the device but cancel any offering from XP to do anything about the device.

Should work now…

With XP and Vista especially, it is vital not to let the OS install any drivers!!!!

With the device UNplugged, open the Device Manager and expand Sound and Audio devices.

Plug in the device, there should be 2 entries that appear… Delete Both and unplug the device.

Reboot and run the Repair option for the software – Add/Remove Programs.

No insert the device but cancel any offering from XP to do anything about the device.

Should work now…

I unplugged the device, opened Device Manager, expanded Sound and Audio Devices, plugged in the device and found the entries. I presume by "Delete" you

meant uninstall so I uninstalled both and unplugged the device. I rebooted, ran the Repair option in Add/Remove Programs, and the system asked for a

restart, to which I granted. The system rebooted. When I inserted the device, the system recognized the video portion and installed drivers without asking

me first. After recognizing the audio portion I was asked to install drivers to which I just cancelled. I opened EVHS2DVD and had no video or audio. I

actually did all this twice with the same results. Not sure why I wasn't prompted about video driver installation. Upon the second attempt of this process I

opened EVHS2DVD before inserting the device hoping the software would take over driver installation to no avail. I'm stumped.

You are correct, it is 'Uninstall' in the Device Manager and not delete.

I have some other things we can test this with…

To be clear, exactly what is telling you that you do not have Video? There is not error message like that in V2D???

The Red 'Record' button will remain grayed out unless there is a video signal coming to the device and the device is plugged in.

I would like to confirm the names of the 2 entries in your Device Manager. These are the proper Win98 XP entries:

post-39730-052182200 1287314380.jpg

As luck would have it, Win98 XP was the last version of Windows that allows you to capture with Windows Movie Maker from a USB device!

For testing, try Windows Movie Maker selecting the Roxio Video Capture USB for input and see what happens.

Edit: fixed entries that should have been 'XP' - not a clue why Win98 was on my mind... age :P

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I'm running xp, not 98. In EV2D it just reads "No video signal" on the screen where the video is supposed to be. Like you said, the record button is grayed

out. I did try Windows Movie Maker and I do get a video signal but no audio. Under the Audio Device it shows the usb 2861 but under the Audio Source Input

it reads Line. That is the only option I have in the drop down box under Audio Source Input. This is all very strange. The devices in Device Manager read

exactly like you posted.

If WMM can't capture properly, I really do not know what to tell you, other than you will have to talk to Roxio Support for this.

The strange thing is I decided just for grins to record with WMM even though I had no audio coming through and when I played it back I had both video and

audio. I guess it just doesn't let you hear audio while it's recording. I made sure the speakers weren't muted. I will probably discuss this with Roxio just

because I want the software they provided to work as it is intended to work. But, at least for now, I can record into my computer. Thanks for all your help.