Sign in to follow this  
ronin

Possible To Create Image In Creator 2011 Standard?

Question

I want to know (from someone who actually knows 2011's intended feature set) if it is supposed to be able to create an image file of a data cd and/or audio cd which is already burned? (gi file format is fine).

I can certainly grab the image an audio cd copy creates from the temp directory before it automatically deletes it - but I have looked all through the menus and cannot find a method to perform this basic function in the standard Creator 2011 software. UPDATE: As it turns out it doesn't create an image file without some obscurity afterall - it creates a temp file instead.

Product help indicates an image may be created during the process of burning a Music Project but it "leaves out" how to create such an image from a cd which is already burned.

Additionally, help indicates that I should be able to go to the data-copy project type from the home menu and then see an option to copy-disc-to-image, however no such option is actually available.

I also see that while burning a data CD I have the option to create an image file too. But again, this is for a disc which I'm burning - not a disc which is already burned.

From a software design perspective the question I have is, why make such a basic function so hard to do?

Edited by ronin

12 answers to this question

Copy disc to image is under the data tab but it only gives you an ISO image. No such options exists? What happens when you select it?

Perhaps reading the manual that you claim doesn't exist will be of some help.

Why don't you just rip the disc back to your computer using Windows or Creator?

Perhaps if you posted just what you are trying to do, we could help more. It sounds like you have used someone elses software before and are trying to use the same techniques.

BTW, are these what you can't find out how to do?

post-58-066190500 1287264011.jpg

post-58-002810200 1287264024.jpg

Edited by sknis

Copy disc to image is under the data tab but it only gives you an ISO image. No such options exists? What happens when you select it?

Perhaps reading the manual that you claim doesn't exist will be of some help.

Why don't you just rip the disc back to your computer using Windows or Creator?

Perhaps if you posted just what you are trying to do, we could help more. It sounds like you have used someone elses software before and are trying to use the same techniques.

BTW, are these what you can't find out how to do?

sknis -

As I stated, I'm trying to create a disc image of a disc which is already burned (or equivalently, create a disc image of a manufactured disc) (ref. first sentence in original post).

Additionally, I see from the graphics you show that you are demonstrating things in Creator 2011 Pro. This is very differnt from the Standard version. As I clearly stated in the title of this thread I am attempting to do this with

Creator 2011 Standard <- apparently choosing this software version was a mistake.

When I select Data Copy the attached picture shows the window that pops up which doesn't allow for a destination other than a burnable disc.

I do not understand what your second sentence - it is nonsense - and doesn't appear to be related to anything I said.

Ripping files and reburning is not anything like what I am attempting to do.

The only software I've used before is Creator 2008 Pro. I expected this functionality to be similar - which appears to be my mistake.

I guess this solves my question - to make an image file with Creator you have to spend more money and purchase the Pro version. Buyer beware.

-- UPDATE: As it turns out I found a way to do it afterall with Standard version - its not obvious but if you go to the Start menu and Start Roxio Burn (under Roxio 2011->Applications) insert the disc in the drive - click once only on the roxio cd icon on the desktop to read the disc and when it is finished click on the bottom bar of the icon and a pop-up menu appears with a selection to create a disc image.

This allows you to create an image from a disc which is already made.

post-88123-043557900 1287273606.png

Edited by ronin

sknis -

As I stated, I'm trying to create a disc image of a disc which is already burned (or equivalently, create a disc image of a manufactured disc) (ref. first sentence in original post).

Additionally, I see from the graphics you show that you are demonstrating things in Creator 2011 Pro. This is very differnt from the Standard version. As I clearly stated in the title of this thread I am attempting to do this with

Creator 2011 Standard <- apparently choosing this software version was a mistake.

When I select Data Copy the attached picture shows the window that pops up which doesn't allow for a destination other than a burnable disc.

I do not understand what your second sentence - it is nonsense - and doesn't appear to be related to anything I said.

Ripping files and reburning is not anything like what I am attempting to do.

The only software I've used before is Creator 2008 Pro. I expected this functionality to be similar - which appears to be my mistake.

I guess this solves my question - to make an image file with Creator you have to spend more money and purchase the Pro version. Buyer beware.

-- UPDATE: As it turns out I found a way to do it afterall with Standard version - its not obvious but if you go to the Start menu and Start Roxio Burn (under Roxio 2011->Applications) insert the disc in the drive - click once only on the roxio cd icon on the desktop to read the disc and when it is finished click on the bottom bar of the icon and a pop-up menu appears with a selection to create a disc image.

This allows you to create an image from a disc which is already made.

You never said that you were trying to use the Roxio Burn Application. We had a failure to communicate !

For the images I posted, the Pro version and the standard version are the same! IF you don;t have those options, then you have a bad install. You asked how to do it; I gave you options for 2 types of disc. What are you trying to do that you are reluctant to talk about?

The information about the manual was from the other post. Remember this?

Edited by sknis

The statement that there is some big difference between the Regular Creator 2010 and 2010 Pro is completely false!!! :o

There are differences as outlined HERE (click on any product to see), but nothing as sinister are ronin is claiming… ;)

You never said that you were trying to use the Roxio Burn Application. We had a failure to communicate !

For the images I posted, the Pro version and the standard version are the same! IF you don;t have those options, then you have a bad install. You asked how to do it; I gave you options for 2 types of disc. What are you trying to do that you are reluctant to talk about?

I wasn't originally attempting to use the Roxio Burn Application. The post was later edited (see the bottom) to reflect that I did find a way to do it through the Roxio Burn Application. However, I still am unable to get the windows you presented in your post. In Standard, when I click on the Data-Copy project a new window comes up with Creator Classic (completely different in style from what you show) And further the windows you present and the windows that I get in Standard version (although different) do not reflect the ability to do what I want, which is enumerated below:

1) Insert Manufactured CD into computer (for example, a windows install disk, or roxio creator install disc or other) or a data or audio disc I just finished burning (any of the above). It is different in that it does not allow in any way to select ISO image for creating an ISO file for a group of data in the project.

2) Create an ISO or GI file from the disc and store the file to the computer (for archiving or making other copies tomorrow when disc gets broke or any other reason I find).

(not reluctant to describe what I'm trying to do . . . . . just no further details are relevant)

Although I have solution to the problem I originally posed (through the Roxio Burn App) I would like to investigate bad install or other problem that is suggested by us having different windows. If it is a bad install, then I need a resolution on how to install correctly because this is at least the third attempt at install. Here is the help instructions which I'm trying to follow and the subsequent menu options (which don't match). I can find NO WAY to select a destination of ISO image file or GI file for content.

post-88123-097747700 1287625823.png

post-88123-034481100 1287625841.png

post-88123-064158100 1287626228.png

Edited by ronin

The statement that there is some big difference between the Regular Creator 2010 and 2010 Pro is completely false!!! :o

There are differences as outlined HERE (click on any product to see), but nothing as sinister are ronin is claiming… ;)

Well I do feel a little less angst now that I found it is possible to make an ISO image file. But still - for the fidelity of your statement - Ok - show me how to make an ISO image file from the Creator Classic Window that I show you comes up when I go to Data-Copy Project in Standard. As I have continually reported with honesty - I cannot find a way to do it from there.

(And as far as the product comparisons you point out, I also could not find any specific mention of ISO image and any statements reguarding copying/burning discs are not specific).

Ok - but I never said it didn't exist - that was the original poster's comment - I merely commented that one should exist - and looks like you found one! - good! - (although I personaly have not verified by clicking your link b/c I don't need one). Let's just assume I trust it is there. I suggest we just drop it since it is off topic.

Edited by ronin

Well I do feel a little less angst now that I found it is possible to make an ISO image file. But still - for the fidelity of your statement - Ok - show me how to make an ISO image file from the Creator Classic Window that I show you comes up when I go to Data-Copy Project in Standard. As I have continually reported with honesty - I cannot find a way to do it from there.

(And as far as the product comparisons you point out, I also could not find any specific mention of ISO image and any statements reguarding copying/burning discs are not specific).

The difference is you failed to follow the instructions!!! :o

You cannot possibly expect instructions to work when you don't follow them ;)

If you followed them, they work just fine:post-39730-025956500 1287662439.jpg

post-39730-000471800 1287662434.jpg

post-39730-038541200 1287662435.jpg

But that for a Disc and is not what you really wanted to do… You have Files & Folders you want to make an Image of!

There are 2 ways to do that.

The simple Burn Data disc:

post-39730-061655100 1287662427.jpg

And you change the Destination:

post-39730-061016200 1287662429.jpg

And in Creator Classic, you Click Burn then the choice to make an Image is available:

post-39730-029719400 1287662432.jpg

Give it a try. You should be able to get a better understanding of the Suite.

The difference is you failed to follow the instructions!!! :o

You cannot possibly expect instructions to work when you don't follow them ;)

If you followed them, they work just fine:post-39730-025956500 1287662439.jpg

post-39730-000471800 1287662434.jpg

post-39730-038541200 1287662435.jpg

But that for a Disc and is not what you really wanted to do… You have Files & Folders you want to make an Image of!

There are 2 ways to do that.

The simple Burn Data disc:

post-39730-061655100 1287662427.jpg

And you change the Destination:

post-39730-061016200 1287662429.jpg

And in Creator Classic, you Click Burn then the choice to make an Image is available:

post-39730-029719400 1287662432.jpg

Give it a try. You should be able to get a better understanding of the Suite.

Jim - you are not reading my posts very closely. Please compare you're data-copy screen to mine in my posting above. You have two things wrong.

1) Compare you pick of your Data-Copy screen in PRO to mine in Standard. The necessary option is not available in mine. The option you show doesn't exist in my version of Creator Data-Copy screen - see my pic. The option to "Copy Disc to Image" is not available in my disc-copy screen. This is what I've been trying to point out. That was the whole point of my posting that screen so you could see that.

- As I've been saying - in the windows I have shown (data-copy project, creator classic etc.) there is absolutely NO WAY to to make an image of a pre-existing disc.

2) Your wrong on the account of what I want to do. I have wanted to do that "Copy Disc to Image" from the start - reread my posts from the beginning - its why I brought up the "Copy Disc to Image" instructions - and I'm trying to follow those instructions - and am failing to see that option in my "Standard" data-copy screen.

Edited by ronin

Your install is faulty...

From your orignal posting about problems with Win7, you are running in bandaid mode :lol: , and are way overdue for a format of your HDD!

I do not have the regular version but NOTHING indicates those items are not included! Likewise they have been there in 2009, 2010 too.

Your install is faulty...

From your orignal posting about problems with Win7, you are running in bandaid mode :lol: , and are way overdue for a format of your HDD!

I do not have the regular version but NOTHING indicates those items are not included! Likewise they have been there in 2009, 2010 too.

ok - now I think we're on the a similar page - but "format of HDD"??? - please explain specifically what your meaning - I just installed Win7 a couple weeks ago - actually probably the day before I originally installed Roxio at the beginning of the month.

If you're implying the standard "refresh of Windows" - which I'm used to doing in XP - I certainly hope we're not there already.

And by the way - I completely redownloaded Roxio Creator and reinstalled it and I still am having no success.

Actually with some of the other treads you are running, I think you would be best served by inviting some one with a little computer experience over and letting them go through it with you…

It follows the 2 Heads Better concept :lol:

I throw in the towel at this point but wish you the best of luck. :)