• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Herky Jerky With Overlays

apcipriano

Question

Hi All. I shot a wedding last week using a Panasonic DVX100B and Sony FX-1000, all in DV mode and then transferred the files to my desktop, an Alienware Aurora which has 6 gigs of memory, quad core precessor with a clock speed 3.33 ghz and using a 64 bit operating system with Windows 7 Home Premium. When I try to mix the AVI files together in a production, either in adding panel next to panel or an overlay, the video added jutters and won't run smoothly. If a file is overlaid with another, it also judders and won't run smoothly either. They just get stuck! If I remove the "offending" file, the panel that was overlain will run fine again. What's going on? Did I make a mistake in originally capturing all video in an AVI format versus MPEG2? Just as a test, I re-captured one tape in MPEG2 and I have the same problem if it's overlaid over an AVI and, just putting it in the time line by itself, it gets stuck and runs jaggedly. I certainly have enough "horsepower" computer-wise, so what seems to be the problem?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

Anthony

8 answers to this question

Don't think it is the AVI files. What video card do you have? Creator 2010 is designed to use the GPU on the graphics card.

Can't find the spec sheet on this computer. Anyplace on the CPU that would reveal this? I can't cut other AVI files into the one I'm editing. Wierd as I've been a Roxio user since 2003 (Creator 7.5)

Cheers!

Giyomy....do you have any thoughts on this problem now that I've explained the hardware of my computer. There are some "rough" portions of the main video that require an overlay of a second can's panels. The first cam was a Sony FX-1000 and the second was a Panny DVX-100B, both shot in DV mode. Thanks for responding or anyone else who might have an answer!

Not clear as to if this is taking place only on your PC or is it also on your burned DVD???

If you haven't burned one, try it on a DVD RW to confirm.

Has this happened with all editing on this PC?

Of course double check that you have the latest & greatest drivers/software from Nvidia…

Try switching to Tools – Options – Render, Software.

In your cards software you should find a setting for Hardware Acceleration. Turn it off or at least try a lower setting.

Not clear as to if this is taking place only on your PC or is it also on your burned DVD???

If you haven't burned one, try it on a DVD RW to confirm.

Has this happened with all editing on this PC?

Of course double check that you have the latest & greatest drivers/software from Nvidia…

Try switching to Tools – Options – Render, Software.

In your cards software you should find a setting for Hardware Acceleration. Turn it off or at least try a lower setting.

This issue takes place in Videowave when layering video clip onto over another one in Timeline. I can burn a dvd in MyDVD from here though I'm having some issued encoding when I add chapters to the production. I haven't tried lowering the speed of the video card yet. The Alienware Aurora is a gaming computer, I understand with fast video effects. Thought this would make editing that much faster as well!

As I noted above, I'm editing using video from two different cams: a Panasonic DVX100B which tapes in DV mode and a Sony FX-1000 which also taped in DV mode to equate with the Panny. When I remove the "offending" panel off of the Timeline, the main video runs smoothly. This shouldn't happen as this program allows for overlayering!

I'll look into that Video card issue though I'm not facile with toying around a computer's hardware settings. Thanks for the tip though.