• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Is C2011 More Stable Than C2010?

Lynn Lynn

Question

I have logs of many VW12 hangs and crashes. Lots of WER files and DMP files. My trouble is that I lack the knowledge to learn from these dumps and log files to learn more than the fact that it "stopped working" and I see, for example,:

VideoWave12.exe Stopped working 9/6/2010 3:46:28 PM Lynn 0xc0000005 0x0000cf44 sonic765h264dec.dll 7.6.0.46181 C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio 2010\VideoUI 12\VideoWave12.exe 40,132 C:\Users\Lynn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_VideoWave12.exe_6564f4a4ea94298ca39ff492c6efee6476336bcd_03369861\Report.wer

If there is good reason to believe that C2011 is more stable, then it is certainly worth the "upgrade" cost. If the only perceivable difference is a "3-D" gimmick, and the coding of the components within C2010 has not been reworked to any extent, then why bother?

Are there known hard facts about the relative stabilities of C2010 and C2011?

5 answers to this question

I have logs of many VW12 hangs and crashes. Lots of WER files and DMP files. My trouble is that I lack the knowledge to learn from these dumps and log files to learn more than the fact that it "stopped working" and I see, for example,:

VideoWave12.exe Stopped working 9/6/2010 3:46:28 PM Lynn 0xc0000005 0x0000cf44 sonic765h264dec.dll 7.6.0.46181 C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio 2010\VideoUI 12\VideoWave12.exe 40,132 C:\Users\Lynn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_VideoWave12.exe_6564f4a4ea94298ca39ff492c6efee6476336bcd_03369861\Report.wer

If there is good reason to believe that C2011 is more stable, then it is certainly worth the "upgrade" cost. If the only perceivable difference is a "3-D" gimmick, and the coding of the components within C2010 has not been reworked to any extent, then why bother?

Are there known hard facts about the relative stabilities of C2010 and C2011?

If you are having issues with the stability of Creator 2010; then 2011 will not be any better. If you give us some information on what you are using for your computer, what Operating System, what anti-virus, if you are using a registry cleaner, if you have tried the repair function in Windows add remove programs with the anti-virus off, the status of your hard drive, and what you are trying to do when Video Wave crashes, then perhaps we can save you some time and energy.

I bet you installed Creator 2010 when your anti-virus was active. Many of them prevent some items being written to your registry and you end up with.dll problems.

If you are having issues with the stability of Creator 2010; then 2011 will not be any better. If you give us some information on what you are using for your computer, what Operating System, what anti-virus, if you are using a registry cleaner, if you have tried the repair function in Windows add remove programs with the anti-virus off, the status of your hard drive, and what you are trying to do when Video Wave crashes, then perhaps we can save you some time and energy.

I bet you installed Creator 2010 when your anti-virus was active. Many of them prevent some items being written to your registry and you end up with.dll problems.

Operating System: MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, OEM from Dell

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

RAM: 9.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz 7-7-7-20

Motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1)

Graphics: Dell 2209WA(Digital) on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

Hard Drives: 640GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 (IDE)

300GB Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (1394)

Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N

PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS

HP Virtual CD 4607 USB Device

Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Norton 360 Antivirus.

I do not remember if I explicitly turned of the Norton 360 when I installed and the several times I did a Repair/Install of C2010 Pro from the original installation CD. I have used the CCleaner to do registry cleaning, but I thought that I had examined each entry carefully before allowing the delete. But because I am reading that registry cleaners can in some cases cause problems, I am willing to stop the practice.

The VW hangs can come at several different points in the processing.

I shall follow advice. What I propose to do next is to do a normal uninstall of C2010. I shall not do a radical "clean uninstall" as the steps in the Roxio kb indicate that they will wipe out all Sonic programs, and I want to keep version 10 as a backup. Then I shall disable Norton 360, and install C2010 from the CD, and get any updates.

I am not sure what you mean by "the repair function in Windows." Because I do not know, I need more information.

Will you comment on what I propose to do, before I attempt to do any of those steps?

Repair:

Option 1 Put the install disk back into your computer and when the dialog box shows up, select to Repair.

Option 2 If you have the download version, go to Windows then Programs and Features scroll down to Creator 2011 and click on it. You should get an options to repair. You may have to point the repair to the extracted download.

Make sure that McAfee is turned OFF not just paused. You can use CCleaner but not the registry cleaner part of it.

If the above doesn't work, instead of trying to do the complete uninstall as per the Roxio Kb article, download and run Revo Uninstaller (free) in the Moderate Mode. Read the prompts thoroughly because there may be some overlap between Creator 2011 and other Roxio and Sonic products. It will do some safe registry editing but 99% of the people say it works well. Do not use the advanced mode; that may be too strong. Reinstall. Add the SP for Creator only if there is something you need in them.

Easy Media Creator 10 (if that is what you have) is NOT supported in W7. I don't think it will screw you up; but it might.

Edited by sknis

I have bought and used, somewhat ineptly, maybe half a dozen versions over the years. The other one on my Win7 computer is Creator Premier, Version 10.3. It is not EMC 10, of course.

I have done the Repair from the C2010 disk a couple of times, but I don't think that I disabled Norton during the repair. After the previous Repairs, I did update right away. I have C2010 Pro SP2, according to the Help/About.

Any reason not to get latest updates after Moderate Revo Uninstall?

I shall follow your advice. Many people turn to me for advice on other areas of expertise; PhD, etc. But Roxio is not one of them.

I have bought and used, somewhat ineptly, maybe half a dozen versions over the years. The other one on my Win7 computer is Creator Premier, Version 10.3. It is not EMC 10, of course.

I have done the Repair from the C2010 disk a couple of times, but I don't think that I disabled Norton during the repair. After the previous Repairs, I did update right away. I have C2010 Pro SP2, according to the Help/About.

Any reason not to get latest updates after Moderate Revo Uninstall?

I shall follow your advice. Many people turn to me for advice on other areas of expertise; PhD, etc. But Roxio is not one of them.

If you look at some of the threads, you'll see that some people (not me) have had issues after updating to SP2. Try running the program wihtout the updates. If you still run into issues with the items that the update is supposed to fix, then go ahead and update.