Length of Back Up

vhick@frontiernet.net

Question

5 answers to this question

I just did a test of a disk to disk backup. Backed up my C drive to my E drive. Both internal.

Files - 45,002

Total size 7.49gb

Backup time 00:19:35

Set Archive time 00:00:35

Total time 00:20:10

Unless there is some kind of contention, I don't know why it would take so long on your backup. I did leave my AV running as normal while I did this, although I was not running anything else.

One thing I thought of, is are you doing a compare of what was backed up? If so, that will take as long or longer to do than the physical backup.

I ran one recently to see what would happen:

1.6ghz P4 with 22.5gb of HD used (40gb HD). Backed up to an external HD via Firewire.

Took over 15 hours to pack and save.

Have no idea why it would take that long. I back up the 15gb doing a disaster recovery backup in less than an hour to multiple DVD's. I also use Ghost and it's backups (I backup 2 drives), takes slightly less time.

I'm at 10 hr 21 min -- did my first full system backup w/ BUMP to a new WD external hard drive -- processed 37.71 GB -- it shows that is marking files as archived -- any idea how long this process takes the first time? Anyone have history on reliability of restore on this quantity? Thanks.

I can't say it has ever taken longer than about a minute to set the archive indicator backing up about 15GB and 180,000+ files. Are you sure it has the authority to update the archive indicator? That is one thing that might mess it up. If you are backing up under a restricted account.

I'm at 10 hr 21 min -- did my first full system backup w/ BUMP to a new WD external hard drive -- processed 37.71 GB -- it shows that is marking files as archived -- any idea how long this process takes the first time? Anyone have history on reliability of restore on this quantity? Thanks.

If you are at that long of a time, I can't imagine what it is doing. I cetainly would not use it again.

I have never used this program in the suite. I always use my Norton Ghost, and it has saved me more than one time. It only takes about 6 or 7 minutes to back up the partition that I Ghost.

I ran one recently to see what would happen:

1.6ghz P4 with 22.5gb of HD used (40gb HD). Backed up to an external HD via Firewire.

Took over 15 hours to pack and save.

I bet that you wouldn't be foolish enough to do that again. hehehehehe :)

Archived