jeffreyg_NJ

Blu-Ray Disc With Toast 10 Pro Won't Play

Question

I am hoping to find some help here as everything else I have tried has been unsuccessful. I am fairly new to Toast 10, but I have been able to use many of the functions without difficulty. However, the one function that I have not been able to successfully complete is creating a hi def DVD playable on my set top blu-ray player. Here are details of what I am doing (I'll try to be brief) so if anyone with experience sees an immediate glaring error it can be pointed out.

The video was taken on my Canon HG10 camcorder in AVCHD format. I edited the clips in iMovie and created a project. The final format of that project is Quicktime (.mov) format. (That project plays perfectly in Quicktime.) In order to burn the project to watch on my TV, I imported the file into Toast 10 Pro, selected Blu-ray Video (in the video menu) and burned the project to a single layer DVD +R. The project burned and the bell rang when it completed, but when I put the disc in my Blu-ray player it elected it and said "disc error." The player is an LG BD570 that is supposed to be compatible with with all of the standard formats, including AVCHD. The BD player is less than 6 months old.

Thinking that the iMove project may have been the problem, I then repeated the process, but I used a very short unedited clip (.M2TS format) from the camcorder with the same result. I used all of the standard settings, automatic encoding and "best" video quality.

Any help with the situation would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

I am hoping to find some help here as everything else I have tried has been unsuccessful. I am fairly new to Toast 10, but I have been able to use many of the functions without difficulty. However, the one function that I have not been able to successfully complete is creating a hi def DVD playable on my set top blu-ray player. Here are details of what I am doing (I'll try to be brief) so if anyone with experience sees an immediate glaring error it can be pointed out.

The video was taken on my Canon HG10 camcorder in AVCHD format. I edited the clips in iMovie and created a project. The final format of that project is Quicktime (.mov) format. (That project plays perfectly in Quicktime.) In order to burn the project to watch on my TV, I imported the file into Toast 10 Pro, selected Blu-ray Video (in the video menu) and burned the project to a single layer DVD +R. The project burned and the bell rang when it completed, but when I put the disc in my Blu-ray player it elected it and said "disc error." The player is an LG BD570 that is supposed to be compatible with with all of the standard formats, including AVCHD. The BD player is less than 6 months old.

Thinking that the iMove project may have been the problem, I then repeated the process, but I used a very short unedited clip (.M2TS format) from the camcorder with the same result. I used all of the standard settings, automatic encoding and "best" video quality.

Any help with the situation would be appreciated.

I will answer my own post since I have solved the problem since posting my question. Hopefully it will help someone else. I searched for software updates on my Blu-ray player, thinking maybe that was the issue (even though the player is not old.) There was an update available. I downloaded and installed it and now the discs I created play fine. I'm not sure why the "out of the box" software wouldn't read the discs, but the update works!