Iza

Installation freeze problem

Question

:)

Hi, I just purchased a retail version of the Creator 8 Deluxe Suite and after I installed it my computer freezes. I have a new Dell XPS, I have uninstalled the previous versions of Roxio. I had to go in safe mode, restore the computer to a prevouse day and now the comptuer is working again.

What should I do before I try to install it again for the 5th time? I want it to work this time.

I called cutomer support but I was told I need to pay $35dlls for them to talk to me about the issue. How funny, it doesn't sound right. Maybe I should just take it back to Comp USA.

Please help!

Thanks,

Iza

18 answers to this question

:)

Hi, I just purchased a retail version of the Creator 8 Deluxe Suite and after I installed it my computer freezes. I have a new Dell XPS, I have uninstalled the previous versions of Roxio. I had to go in safe mode, restore the computer to a prevouse day and now the comptuer is working again.

What should I do before I try to install it again for the 5th time? I want it to work this time.

I called cutomer support but I was told I need to pay $35dlls for them to talk to me about the issue. How funny, it doesn't sound right. Maybe I should just take it back to Comp USA.

Please help!

Thanks,

Iza

If your Dell came with Sonic pre-installed, it's likely a problem with Drag to Disc and Sonic DLA. You'll either need to remove Sonic DLA or don't install EMC Drag to Disc.

…and the phone message about the charge is just that, a message.

You will not be charged for troubleshooting installation problems. In any case, you will never be charged until you have talked to someone and agree to a charge.

Thanks for your replies. I still have the following issues:

1) I've uninstalled everything that says Roxio from Add or Remove Programs and I restored the computer to the day before I installed Roxio Creator 8 Deluxe. The problem is that my computer still freezes every now and then. Could it be that the Roxio software corrupted other software? What should I do about this?

2) I took the Roxio software back to Comp USA, but they don't accept software back, so I had to keep it. What steps should I follow to try and have a successful installation?

3) I have Sonic Update Manager, SonicAC3Encoder and SonicMPEGEncoder installed in my computer, should I remove them before I install the Creator 8 software? Would it matter?

4) fyi, the "phone message" was not a message, I talked to a guy and told him my problem with the installation and my computer freezing and all the story and he said that I would need to pay $35dlls for him to speek with me about the issue. He said to go online and open a ticket in ther webpage. Which I did and it's been some days now and I haven't heard back from them.

Thank you soooo much!! Iza

fyi, the "phone message" was not a message, I talked to a guy and told him my problem with the installation and my computer freezing and all the story and he said that I would need to pay $35dlls for him to speek with me about the issue. He said to go online and open a ticket in ther webpage.

I was told the same thing by customer support, as I couldn't get an online account set up under my email account so I was trying to call in. (I finally got an account set up under a different email account). $35 to talk to support about any problem? When the software is trashing my machine? Not cool.

I was told the same thing by customer support, as I couldn't get an online account set up under my email account so I was trying to call in. (I finally got an account set up under a different email account). $35 to talk to support about any problem? When the software is trashing my machine? Not cool.

You may want to read ALL of the posts in this thread. You seem to have missed one. :):huh::D

You may want to read ALL of the posts in this thread. You seem to have missed one. :):huh::D

Oh I read what was said. I'm just repeating what I was told not a few hours ago when I actually called.

If they really don't charge you for technical issues, then their customer service people are misinformed because I was told that I would be charged if they connected me to phone service and that my only option was online.

Oh I read what was said. I'm just repeating what I was told not a few hours ago when I actually called.

If they really don't charge you for technical issues, then their customer service people are misinformed because I was told that I would be charged if they connected me to phone service and that my only option was online.

Did they ask you for a credit card number? If they did, things have changed bigtime, and I would be a bit peeved, too.

Did they ask you for a credit card number? If they did, things have changed bigtime, and I would be a bit peeved, too.

No, I didn't give them the chance to, because when they told me it was going to cost $35 to tell me why their buggy software had trashed my Windows install, I hung up on them. If CompUSA took software back, this puppy would already be there, but since they don't I'm stuck trying to get the #$^@ thing to run. Even if I do, I highly doubt I'll ever buy a Roxio or Sonic product again.

Edited by Jamie

No, I didn't give them the chance to, because when they told me it was going to cost $35 to tell me why their buggy software had trashed my Windows install, I hung up on them. If CompUSA took software back, this puppy would already be there, but since they don't I'm stuck trying to get the #$^@ thing to run. Even if I do, I highly doubt I'll ever buy a Roxio or Sonic product again.

As you said, "I didn't give them a chance" and with that you lost your chance to resolve this!

The procedure with some that I have used, Dell, HP, MS, is that they take the card info then talk to a tech.

If the tech feels it should be a charged, they will inform you. Only if you agree at that point will your card actually be charged.

Edited by james_hardin

As you said, "I didn't give them a chance" and with that you lost your chance to resolve this!

The procedure with some that I have used, Dell, HP, MS, is that they take the card info then talk to a tech.

If the tech feels it should be a charged, they will inform you. Only if you agree at that point will your card actually be charged.

As I said, that is NOT what customer support told me. They told me that talking to a tech would cost $35, no ands ifs or buts. If that isn't actually the case, then customer support has the wrong information.

What was I supposed to do, say "OK charge me 35% of the cost of the product just to maybe find out why it completely trashed my Windows install?" Of COURSE I wasn't going to pay $35. I don't know how I was supposed to know that I really wasn't going to be charged.

This whole thing is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. It's no wonder the Amazon pages are filled with people saying bad things about Roxio support. I chose to ignore them because I never had any problems with Easy Media 7, but now I'm starting to regret it.

:) I have exactly the same problem. Tried it 5 times. The file copying bar reaches about 7/8 way, the computer froze. I even tried clean boot (used msconfig, uncheck all boxes and check only windows installer), it didnt work. EMC 7.5 was on this computer and it worked great. 8.0 on my laptop works great. The computer i have is Sony VIAO with Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz and 1 mb RAM. 80 GB HD partitioned to C and D. C has 30 GB.

I will watch for new responses. The last resort will be rebuilding hard disk but I want to avoid that. It may not work.

ChrisHH

1) I've uninstalled everything that says Roxio from Add or Remove Programs and I restored the computer to the day before I installed Roxio Creator 8 Deluxe. The problem is that my computer still freezes every now and then. Could it be that the Roxio software corrupted other software? What should I do about this?

That tells me you have a problem above and beyond the roxio software. I would get that fixed before trying to add our software to the mix.

:) I have exactly the same problem. Tried it 5 times. The file copying bar reaches about 7/8 way, the computer froze. I even tried clean boot (used msconfig, uncheck all boxes and check only windows installer), it didnt work. EMC 7.5 was on this computer and it worked great. 8.0 on my laptop works great. The computer i have is Sony VIAO with Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz and 1 mb RAM. 80 GB HD partitioned to C and D. C has 30 GB.

I will watch for new responses. The last resort will be rebuilding hard disk but I want to avoid that. It may not work.

ChrisHH

Have you tried this Knowledge Base article?

Installer rolling back during while copying files

:) i too have had installation problems with my retail purchased emc8. it installs till practically the end and then freezes. i have uninstalled and re installed several times. norton has been turned off. i even uninstalled norton. in the uninstalls i must have uninstalled something impotant because i got to the point where my cp would not recognize my cdrom driver at all. so i have just finished re formatting my whole computer. that was fun :huh: i am waiting to reinstall all of my programs thinking that something may have conflicted with the install..... excited because i just knew the install would work this time.... but sadly no the same thing almost complete and then freezes. won't let me install the update either because it apparently does not recognize that emc8 is even on the computer. these are 2 of the error messages i have seen:

Starting roxio creator 8: "dragon engine initialization failed".

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service program because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may upgrade a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the corrected upgrade patch." can anyone help me?

:) i too have had installation problems with my retail purchased emc8. it installs till practically the end and then freezes. i have uninstalled and re installed several times. norton has been turned off. i even uninstalled norton. in the uninstalls i must have uninstalled something impotant because i got to the point where my cp would not recognize my cdrom driver at all. so i have just finished re formatting my whole computer. that was fun :huh: i am waiting to reinstall all of my programs thinking that something may have conflicted with the install..... excited because i just knew the install would work this time.... but sadly no the same thing almost complete and then freezes. won't let me install the update either because it apparently does not recognize that emc8 is even on the computer. these are 2 of the error messages i have seen:

Starting roxio creator 8: "dragon engine initialization failed".

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service program because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may upgrade a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the corrected upgrade patch." can anyone help me?

Try this and see if it works

Sonic engine patch

Try this and see if it works

Sonic engine patch

thank you will try it. question, after i downloand and install the patch, do i try t open up the emc8? or uninstall and reinstall emc8? thanks so much for the response!

thank you will try it. question, after i downloand and install the patch, do i try t open up the emc8? or uninstall and reinstall emc8? thanks so much for the response!

now my computer is not recognizing my cd rom drive at all :)