• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Munchiniwa

New Feature Request

Question

1-Since Toast works with Elgato's H.264 hardware, I would love to see it provide levels control for conversions. The Turbos make videos much darker than the DVD. It would be awesome if Toast could supply just basic video enhancement before conversion.

2- I just saw a Windows based iPad video converter. It converts VideoTS to 1080p H.264 MP4 files. You can even pick from several screen sizes from 1200x768 to 1600x1200.

Cost is $35. I would love to see this built into the next Toast. And with Turbo support? Awesome.

16 answers to this question

3 - Specifically: the use of Elgato turbo.HD to speed up Blu-ray encoding.

4 - Ability to add background music to BD menus.

5 - Ability to use more than six chapter buttons on each BD menu page.

6 - Ability to take pre-compressed H.264 files from Compressor (WITHOUT re-encoding) to make BDs - never got that working.

7 - Ability to save BD menu pages as a series of full resolution (1920x1080) still images, without having to demux the "01200.m2ts" file with another application.

Edited by mooblie

Excellent suggestions. You also can send feedback to Roxio via a link in the Toast Help menu.

I have sent Roxio Toast Support an "official" feedback note, pointing to this thread. Let's see if these suggestions make it to Toast 11 !

I agree with all the mooblie's suggestions. I'd love to be able to make 3D BD discs, and see MVC compression implemented, including 3D menus, but I don't really expect it.

Guest ivanatrox

While I can not guarantee any suggestions in this thread would be added in future Toast release, I have provided them to the Toast product management team.

Ivan

8 - IMHO Toast should not grab focus when burning a set of same discs and interrupt me in my work - it's way enough if I set Toast to automatically eject the burned disc to get reminded to put an new empty disc in the drive.

9 - log burns and encodes to ~/Library/Logs/RoxioToastLog/ or similar, should contain date/time, source, location, target format, success - maybe switchable via Preferences-menu (if this possibility already exists I'm happy to learn where those logs are stored).

Edited by Gent

10. The ability to drag and drop a .srt file alongside the avi/mp4/etc file of the same name into 'DVD Video' and have it burned into the image on the completed DVD.

A slicker way of making DVD menus and titling them: at the moment (and AFAICR) in all previous versions of Toast, you have to name the video in one place and then title the menu screen itself after clicking a button 'More'; and the choice of menu themes seems rather clunky and limited. It would be better to have some kind of menu constructor or customiser kit which will show you in actual size what your menus will look like and allow different background pictures, buttons, borders etc to be inserted, modified etc. It's probably all there somewhere but it is not easy to use.

• Like 1

13. More of a bug or limitation fix, than a feature request:

If you connect an optical drive via eSATA, then Toast reports "Unknown Bus" rather than the more helpful, but conventional, "USB" or "Firewire" etc. There are other ways of connecting drives!

(Sorry to Roxio if it's OS X to blame for not reporting this information to the Toast Application!)

esata_unknown.jpg

Edited by mooblie

14. The ability to author and burn AVCHD discs (with menus!).

These AVCHD discs are becoming something of a standard: consisting of HD video files, of nearly Blu-ray quality, on DVD media - about 20-30 minutes or so on a 4.7GB disc. My off-the-shelf Panasonic BD Player plays them (as does a PS3, I believe), and yet they're different in folder structure, naming and contents from the two formats close to this that Toast can do already:

1 - short BD discs burnt to DVD media (not really a standard)

2 - AVCHD Archive discs (NOT, according to my experiments, the same as AVCHD Discs.)

I have some Windows software that burns AVCHD discs (with menus!) - shame to see Toast behind in this!

Although Toast Video Player will play individual AVCHD files, and Toast will convert them to other formats, Toast itself won't author and burn a legal AVCHD disc, or recognise any menu structure thereon.... ...unless I'm mistaken of course, and I just haven't found out how to do that yet?!

Another article explaining the current position on OS X and AVCHD Discs here.

Edited by mooblie

15. Blu-ray disc playback! (of non-protected discs)

This seems something of an "elephant in the room" when I step back and think about it. Toast Video Player will playback individual Blu-ray streams (".m2ts" files), but it won't see the authored Blu-ray Disc menus.

Surely that can't be that hard? especially as Toast happily authors such BD menus?

There is no (non-Windows) option for BD playback, but Roxio is practically there. As Apple refuses to provide a "BD Player" utility, Roxio could clean up as the only solution. Or are there political/licensing issues I'm not aware of? I know about HDCP issues - but maybe this could be done for NON-HOLLYWOOD BDs, like those made by users with .... Toast! for example? :)

Edited by mooblie

A slicker way of making DVD menus and titling them: at the moment (and AFAICR) in all previous versions of Toast, you have to name the video in one place and then title the menu screen itself after clicking a button 'More'; and the choice of menu themes seems rather clunky and limited. It would be better to have some kind of menu constructor or customiser kit which will show you in actual size what your menus will look like and allow different background pictures, buttons, borders etc to be inserted, modified etc. It's probably all there somewhere but it is not easy to use.

100% agree. I want to import from Final Cut (Express) and wish to have my chapter marker names appear. I want to customize look and feel of menus and edit text. I want to choose thumbnails for the chapter graphic. You could really use a lot more of what iDVD does. Then, when playing back, I want to navigate more easily through menu windows... in this version, I can only go horizontally through progressive numbering (1...2...3...4). Why can't I set it up like a 'professional' menu like comes on the DVDs I buy or rent in the store?

Higher bitrates for Blu-ray encoding please.

Max now is 26Mbps.

Compressor does 30MBps

Encore does 26MBps.

(I ought to know this, but....) what IS the legal upper limit for the BD data rate? I guess that's what Toast should use?

(I ought to know this, but....) what IS the legal upper limit for the BD data rate? I guess that's what Toast should use?

I found the following quote on the Blu-ray.com forum:

"Blu-ray has a max of 48mbps combined audio and video, of which 40 can be video, and 20 audio at any one time"