• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

roxio media import

mattoutwest

Question

Another newbie here.

You digital gurus must have put in some hours to answer all these Q's.

I've only been at a month but I'm reading all these threads, its very helpful

Ok, I burned some dvd's on set top recorder. Copies of 8mm video.

Now they have Video_TS files but RMI won't read the files to upload. I can upload vhs just fine through my capture card. And I have a new Sony dvd burner and it plays the dvd just fine otherwise.

The reason flashes too fast to read, but its something like 'no content for this type production' I think.

I have not recieved a response from Roxanne in three days. So here I am.

thoughts?

matt

12 answers to this question

This seems like it could be a common problem. There's three threads right now about it:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=5887

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6883

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6886

To sum up (correct me if I'm wrong):

Using Roxio Media Import to import a finalized DVD created with a set top DVD recorder isn't working very often.

The DVD will play/is watchable in the drive using a typical DVD viewing program

The DVD is recognized and the folders (i.e. Video_TS) can be explored outside RMI

There isn't necessarily an error code or anything saying that the media is unacceptable, just a blank box where the message would be (under the drop down menu that says choose the location of the media)

Was anyone able to import anything at all? It actually worked for the first DVD for me which makes this twice as frustrating.

Sorry for the duplicates but I thought if we all work together we might figure this one out...

Another newbie here.

You digital gurus must have put in some hours to answer all these Q's.

I've only been at a month but I'm reading all these threads, its very helpful

Ok, I burned some dvd's on set top recorder. Copies of 8mm video.

Now they have Video_TS files but RMI won't read the files to upload. I can upload vhs just fine through my capture card. And I have a new Sony dvd burner and it plays the dvd just fine otherwise.

The reason flashes too fast to read, but its something like 'no content for this type production' I think.

I have not recieved a response from Roxanne in three days. So here I am.

thoughts?

matt

I don't have a set top DVD recorder, but I think that in order to capture from the DVD's you made in it, you have to finalize the disc, or you won't be able to capture them.

Ok the first one is another valid post. The second one is this one. The third one has a solution listed. I know I am being a little nit-picky but I am not sure if this is as big of a deal as I originally thought it might be. Does the solution in the 3rd one apply here? Can anyone test/confirm?

frenchtoastwithjam wrote:

QUOTE(sitruc @ Jul 9 2006, 01:18 AM) *

This seems like it could be a common problem. There's three threads right now about it:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=5887

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6883

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6886

Ok the first one is another valid post. The second one is this one. The third one has a solution listed. I know I am being a little nit-picky but I am not sure if this is as big of a deal as I originally thought it might be. Does the solution in the 3rd one apply here? Can anyone test/confirm?

The third thread definitely has a working solution that I've used with great success. I wasn't trying to import mini-dvds, just regular finalized DVDs recorded on my set top Lite-on DVD recorder. The solution was a simple, free, and very fast program (geez, I sound like an advertisement for it, don't I...sorry)

lehill wrote:

See if VOB2MPG can handle these problem discs. It's a small free utility program available HERE. Fast download and a simple install so you won't be wasting a lot of time if it turns out it doesn't work.

It's strange that it happens with some people and not others. It sounds like ggrussell has the same set top recorder I have but has no problem using RMI except that it's slow.

Mattoutwest: It sounds like you're getting the exact same blank box with the little yellow lines in the corner as I did. Try the VOB2MPG program. (mine screen looks like this when I try to import: http://static.flickr.com/77/159815458_28b3e6505e_o.jpg thanks to noel.eaton)

The only thing I don't know about the VOB2MPG program is that it requires an install of ".net" which I don't know exactly what this is. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Hope this helps,

~Sitruc

stiruc - I have the LVW5005 model. Hsve you checked LiteOn's website for firmware updates? I purchased my recorder in Dec 2005. Since then, there have been two firmware udpates and and one update to the software. You just download the file. Burn it to the root directory of a data CD and insert the disc in the recorder. Follow the prompts.

This could be why Media Import works for me.

Thanks grandpa, but it is finalized.

I just didn't want to have to rerun the tape.

I fear my camera is on its last legs so I burned all the dvds on the set top. If the camera died I figured I was save with the dvd's as archive and I wouldn't have to by a backward compatible mini dv.

oh well...

I have a settop recorder,have you tried this?Put the disc in and open MyDVD.Hit Capture/Import.Use the Video tab and select your DVD drive as the source.Does your movie show up?If so you should just be able to import it as MPEG,DiVX or WMV.

If you run Windows Update it will show if you need to install the .net software.There are 2 versions1.0 and 2.0.Update will show if you don't have them installed.If you don't just download and install them and that should take care of the problem.

I think the 3rd one applies more to mini-dvds.These discs are made from a settop recorder using full sized discs(I presume).If I remember correctly Gary also has a settop recorder and had trouble at first using them.I also have one and have had no problem capturing the video off of them.When I load one and hit import,video I get a view that shows the movie on the disc.I just highlight,hit import and set the capture settings.Works like a champ.

I think we figured out that different recorders record in different formats and that makes a difference.I could be wrong but my memory seems to call this up.Wish I could find the thread.

Archived