Horrorwitz

Lines Started Appearing When Rendering

Question

Hi. I have been using Creator 2009 and have had no major problems until about 3 months ago when any project I'd render came out with lines in the pictures. I have tried de-fragging my hard drive, updating my video card driver, rolling back to my old driver, and then installing a new video card; I have tried rendering using hardware and software; I have tried outputing to a file folder and to various file formats and no matter what they all have the same lines in them. Usually I am importing a short clip, then doing a few minor edits (or often no editing out all), then trying to render the clip. What's strange is that it all started suddenly and I cannot figure it out no matter what I try. I imagine it is some kind of conflict between the program and some Windows update or something. Oh, I have also tried re-installing Creator 2009. I am ready to try a newer version of Creator if that will fix the problem but I'm worried the same thing will happen.

I am running Windows XP, I have 1gb of memory, and my graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 7200 GS.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

~Brian

Nothing? :(

Not much.

Where/when are you seeing the lines on your computer or played back on your video player? Describe them or post an image.

What are your burn settings? Is the project videos and or images or just one or the other?

Have you tried making an ISO file and then playing that with VLC (free player)? Do you see the lines in that playback?

Not much.

Where/when are you seeing the lines on your computer or played back on your video player? Describe them or post an image.

What are your burn settings? Is the project videos and or images or just one or the other?

Have you tried making an ISO file and then playing that with VLC (free player)? Do you see the lines in that playback?

I actually went out and bought Creator 2011 and I'm still having the line problem when rendering. I also upped my computer memory to 3gb, updated all firmware, drivers, etc (they were all up to date already but I double checked). The weird thing is I've used Roxio products many times in the past for rendering various video projects of many formats and never had this problem before. It just started one day mysteriously which is why I think there is some kind of Windows incompatability or something, or a problem with the newer video card driver or something. (I have not tried rolling back the driver as this is a new card.) In any case, I've spent all day rendering video clips using Creator 2011 (not sure if I should move this post to the Creator 2011 forum section now) and every video clip had horizontal lines, to varying degrees, that break up the picture. They run continuously through the enitre picture, causing the image to look blurry or broken up. The projects are always made of just video (no images) and it does this on every setting, from mpeg files of various sizes, to dv quality; whether I am exporting video from Videowave or burning from MyDVD; whether I am burning direct to a disc, writing an iso file or saving as file folder files. Whether I play the files from my hard drive using VLC or Windows Media Player; whether I render using software or hardware setting. I have tested it on clips sourced from home made DVD-Rs, pro DVDs, and video imported from a camera (mini DVD) all with the same results. I don't know what else to try but any suggestions are most appreciated.

I'd still like to try and fix this problem. Is there a way to move this over to Creator 2011 now that I am using that?

I actually went out and bought Creator 2011 and I'm still having the line problem when rendering. I also upped my computer memory to 3gb, updated all firmware, drivers, etc (they were all up to date already but I double checked). The weird thing is I've used Roxio products many times in the past for rendering various video projects of many formats and never had this problem before. It just started one day mysteriously which is why I think there is some kind of Windows incompatability or something, or a problem with the newer video card driver or something. (I have not tried rolling back the driver as this is a new card.) In any case, I've spent all day rendering video clips using Creator 2011 (not sure if I should move this post to the Creator 2011 forum section now) and every video clip had horizontal lines, to varying degrees, that break up the picture. They run continuously through the enitre picture, causing the image to look blurry or broken up. The projects are always made of just video (no images) and it does this on every setting, from mpeg files of various sizes, to dv quality; whether I am exporting video from Videowave or burning from MyDVD; whether I am burning direct to a disc, writing an iso file or saving as file folder files. Whether I play the files from my hard drive using VLC or Windows Media Player; whether I render using software or hardware setting. I have tested it on clips sourced from home made DVD-Rs, pro DVDs, and video imported from a camera (mini DVD) all with the same results. I don't know what else to try but any suggestions are most appreciated.

I'd still like to try and fix this problem. Is there a way to move this over to Creator 2011 now that I am using that?

Where did your video files originate? Do they appear okay, in playback, before you use the Roxio software?

Where did your video files originate? Do they appear okay, in playback, before you use the Roxio software?

Thanks for replying! It does it whenever I bring the video in directly right off of the DVD or whether I save the video to my hard drive first and then import it. The weird thing is when I had Creator 2009 it worked fine for a long while and then just started having this problem one day. I bought Creator 2011 hoping it'd fix the problem but to no avila. I talked to Roxio's tech support for a long time and sent them a video file to see what I was talking about but that was awhile ago and I have yet to hear back. Today I mastered an entire DVD with menu and everything worked like it was supposed to up until I saved the rendered project to my hard drive in a file folder and when I played it back it had those lines again. It does this whether I save to a file folder, an iso file or burn directly to disc. It does it whether I render using software or hardware; progressive or interlaced. What kills me is it used to work fine! I feel like it has something to do with some kind of conflict with a Windows update or a newer driver or something.

Tell us about the NEW video card. You mentioned it but didn't say anythng else. Have you tried encoding/rendering in the software mode?

New cards have been sitting on the shelf for longer than you can imagine. Update the drivers !

Tell us about the NEW video card. You mentioned it but didn't say anythng else. Have you tried encoding/rendering in the software mode?

New cards have been sitting on the shelf for longer than you can imagine. Update the drivers !

My new video card is a Nvidia Geforce 7200 GS. The drivers are all up to date. I have tried rendering in both software and hardware. The problems started before I put in the new video card. But as recently as a year ago everything worked fine. I also added more memory, it's. up to 3gb now.

Unfortunately their tech support guy keeps vanishing on me. Should I move this topic to the Creator 2011 section? I'd really like to be able to use MyDVD.

Yes, I spent a LOT of time on phone with them, emailing video clips, etc. They disappear and then email me telling me the issue has been resolved.

Post a couple of seconds of the video on a file sharing site like "up for down". If you can, select a short section where you have the lines. Are you trying to work with HD video? Is what you are talking about pixelation like this?

As I mentioned above they were horizontal lines. The lines look like break-ups in the picture making the images look jagged. When I render using "progressive" (as opposed to interlaced) it isn't as bad but still not what it used to be. I have tried many tests using different video sources rendering to iso and videos folders using software and hardware with every possible quality setting. Since I have been using Creator 2011 for some time now I'd like to know if a forum moderator can move this to that part of the forum. I am just curious to see if anyone else has suddenly had this problem or has any suggestions. Oh, after going back and forth with Roxio's tech support for months they finally told me to return Creator 2011 to the store I bought it from for a refund(which I have not done yet). It's frustrating because I've used Creator for so long without this problem but since I mainly use it to author DVDs then this problem renders (no pun intended) the entire thing usless for me.

Guest ml

As I mentioned above they were horizontal lines. The lines look like break-ups in the picture making the images look jagged. When I render using "progressive" (as opposed to interlaced) it isn't as bad but still not what it used to be. I have tried many tests using different video sources rendering to iso and videos folders using software and hardware with every possible quality setting. Since I have been using Creator 2011 for some time now I'd like to know if a forum moderator can move this to that part of the forum. I am just curious to see if anyone else has suddenly had this problem or has any suggestions. Oh, after going back and forth with Roxio's tech support for months they finally told me to return Creator 2011 to the store I bought it from for a refund(which I have not done yet). It's frustrating because I've used Creator for so long without this problem but since I mainly use it to author DVDs then this problem renders (no pun intended) the entire thing usless for me.

At the risk of sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.....

I think we all suspect that you might be having a hardware problem and it could be almost anything from a video card to a hard drive.

That said..... you might consider doing a COMPLETE UNINSTALL of both version 9 and 11 ( instructions under Support\ home and do a search for 'uninstall'.)

Then defragment your hard drive, restart your computer and reinstall the version to which you still have the cd/dvd key.

If that doesn't work, then I have no other solutions.

You might try downloading a trial version of another software and see if that will work. If both programs produce the same results, then you'll be pretty certain that it's a hardware problem. Most of the major software companies have free trial versions of their software.

I do appreciate any suggestions. I did test drive 1 other program (I forget which) and it didn't seem to have the rendering issue but the program itself was overly complicated for what I needed. I have updated firmware, added additonal memory and a new video card (see earlier post for setails). I do extensive CD and DVD-R burning, video clip editing and audio editing. I can import and export video clips using Video Wave with no trouble. The ONLY problem I have is rendering with MyDVD. It used to work fine with Creator 2009 and other Roxio / Sonic programs and one day just started doing having the issue. I still think it has something to do with a Windows update or some newer firmware incompatability because that's all that changed. I have uninstalled Creator 2009 and 2011 and reinstalled it. I also tried "repairing" it from the "add/remove programs", all to no avail. At this point I have re-installed Creator 2011 at least twice. Since Creator 2009 used to work okay and just suddenly started having the issue and then upgrading to 2011 did not fix the issue I don't believe that doing a complete uninstall and then reinstalling it again will fix it. Having said all of that, if someone honestly thinks it might then I'll give it a go.

I've asked for you to post a short section of the video and have asked if you could post a screen shot of the issue. So far you have not. One picture/short video is worth a thousand words - that's pretty close to where we are now.

I'm still not sure what you mean by the lines - static or pixelation? I'm not sure where you see them - on your computer during renderng, on your computer after rendering, on your home DVD player.

Have you tried shutting down everything else when you are rendering - inclusing Internet, Anti-virus, Anti-male ware, etc? It really sound like something is grabbing emphasis from the CPU briefly causing the hccups.

If you would like, start a new thread in the Creator 2011 part of the forum and post a link to this thread. I bet someone will say that they have the exact same problem but they really won't.

We can then close this thread - I still want pictures or video !

Edited by sknis

Sorry, I will try to post 2 frame captures - a before and after so to speak - of a video clip so you can see. The lines are basically tiny horizontal breaks in the picture that make everything look very jagged. They appear on anything that has been rendered, that is, after the DVD project has been burned / rendered to an actial DVD-R disc, or to a folder or to an iso file on my hard drive. Whether the final burnt disc is played on a DVD player or computer drive, or whether the iso file or folder files are played on my computer straight from the hard drive, anything that comes out of MyDVD now has the lines. Yes, I have tried shutting down everything during use of MyDVD, in fact I always have.

I have to stress that it used to work fine for a long time and then just started mysteriously one day.

Thanks again fot your help.

Okay, here is a frame from a high quality video clip, an avi file made from a DVD, as it was brought into MyDVD:

before.jpg

And here is the same frame from the clip after it was rendered in MyDVD at the High Quakity setting and saved to an iso file:

after.jpg

I have to stress that it does this no matter what the settings or what format I save it in. It might not look too different from these frame captures but when you're watching the actual video it looks horrible and defective especially compared to how MyDVD used to work.

Pixelation ! I'm not sure why this just now showed up. Did you change sources or format of the original source? Did you add something to your computer? Have you tuned it up lately, or added a new program? Typically, pixelation shows up with fast moving souces such as a video camera that is paned to quickly espically in dark scenes.

It is hardware related - either computer or from your source. Tell us how you are rendering your videos to DVD?

Edited by sknis

No to all of the above. The only thing that changed would have been a Windows update or firmware update of some kind. When you see the actual video clip it doesn't look like typical pixelization. I'm not saying that isn't what it is mind you, just not like any pixelization I have ever seen before.

Like I said it does it not matter how I bring the source video in it always does this. Typically what I do is bring the source in from a DVD or DVD-R format either right off of the disc or by saving to my hard drive first and then bringing that in. Then, after editing, I render it and reguradless of whether I render it to a file on my hard drive or straight to a disc it still has the distortion. Bare in mind, again, that I had done this TONS of times before with no problem, then one day it just started. It only does it when rendering from MyDVD. If I open a clip in Videowave and edit it then export it as a video clip there is no problem.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Pixelation ! I'm not sure why this just now showed up. Did you change sources or format of the original source? Did you add something to your computer? Have you tuned it up lately, or added a new program? Typically, pixelation shows up with fast moving souces such as a video camera that is paned to quickly espically in dark scenes.

It is hardware related - either computer or from your source. Tell us how you are rendering your videos to DVD?

No to all of the above. The only thing that changed would have been a Windows update or firmware update of some kind. When you see the actual video clip it doesn't look like typical pixelization. I'm not saying that isn't what it is mind you, just not like any pixelization I have ever seen before.

Like I said it does it not matter how I bring the source video in it always does this. Typically what I do is bring the source in from a DVD or DVD-R format either right off of the disc or by saving to my hard drive first and then bringing that in. Then, after editing, I render it and reguradless of whether I render it to a file on my hard drive or straight to a disc it still has the distortion. Bare in mind, again, that I had done this TONS of times before with no problem, then one day it just started. It only does it when rendering from MyDVD. If I open a clip in Videowave and edit it then export it as a video clip there is no problem.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sorry, please put your computer specs in your signature so that people don't keep asking you what computer/OS you have. At the top of this page click on my settings and then profile and then Change Signature.

When you added the new video card, did you modify the settings? Such as setting the card for bets performance or 50/50 performance/appearance. Look at anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Go to the card's control panel and play around. Are you sure that the drivers you downloaded were installed properly?

The only other thing I can suggest is to do a repair on the program. (Again).

Sorry, please put your computer specs in your signature so that people don't keep asking you what computer/OS you have. At the top of this page click on my settings and then profile and then Change Signature.

When you added the new video card, did you modify the settings? Such as setting the card for bets performance or 50/50 performance/appearance. Look at anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Go to the card's control panel and play around. Are you sure that the drivers you downloaded were installed properly?

The only other thing I can suggest is to do a repair on the program. (Again).

Thanks again for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I am running:

Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002.

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual

Core Processor 3800+

1.00 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

I will double check my video card settings but I am 99% sure I did it right. Bare in mind that the problems started BEFORE I put in a new video card and added more memory. And I actually tried doing a "repair" on the program last week but to no avail.

Other than changing settings for the display, updating the drivers and settings for hardware acclelertation I don't see any other way to change any other settings for the video card. It is an Nvidia GeForce 7300 se / 7200 GS. Nvidia has a control panel with a setting for deinterlacing that you check off for using "inverse telecine" so I am trying that now.

Other than changing settings for the display, updating the drivers and settings for hardware acclelertation I don't see any other way to change any other settings for the video card. It is an Nvidia GeForce 7300 se / 7200 GS. Nvidia has a control panel with a setting for deinterlacing that you check off for using "inverse telecine" so I am trying that now.

I'm not sure what that is and I do not have an NVidia card. I tend to stay with ATI. I Googled for nVidia control panel and got this Tweak guide.. I don't know how good it will be.

Also make sure that you have all the setting to software (or application) controlled in the settings.

1) Please confirm that you are seeing the lines in a finished DVD.

2) I asked you to put your computer specs in your signature and gave you directions on how to do that. Please do it! Look at others signature to see what to include.

Edited by sknis