Tad UK

Crop Video Sides

Question

Hi all you gurus of VideoWave.

I would like to display two videos side by side in the same frame - they are videos of the same action but from different angles. The action is taken by an HD camera so is 16:9 ratio, as per the widescreen production. Therefore to display the two images (presuming the best way is by two overlays on a blank colour pane) I need to crop the edges of the the original videos to 8:9 aspect ratio.

When I try to use the zoom and pan tool, I am only able to zoom in with 16:9 ratio. Similarly, using the position tool, I am only able to change the overall percentage size, but not crop the sides of the video.

Please let me know if I'm going about this in the right way or if there is a better way of doing it

Regards,

Tad O~[/font]

12 answers to this question

Hi all you gurus of VideoWave.

I would like to display two videos side by side in the same frame - they are videos of the same action but from different angles. The action is taken by an HD camera so is 16:9 ratio, as per the widescreen production. Therefore to display the two images (presuming the best way is by two overlays on a blank colour pane) I need to crop the edges of the the original videos to 8:9 aspect ratio.

When I try to use the zoom and pan tool, I am only able to zoom in with 16:9 ratio. Similarly, using the position tool, I am only able to change the overall percentage size, but not crop the sides of the video.

Please let me know if I'm going about this in the right way or if there is a better way of doing it

Regards,

Tad O~[/font]

Think about it, how are you going to make a 16 by 9 into a 8 by 9 without distoring the image? Or don't you mind that?

Think about it, how are you going to make a 16 by 9 into a 8 by 9 without distoring the image? Or don't you mind that?

That's why I want to crop the image, not shrink i.e remove 25% from each side.

Sorry there is no CROP function fro video, but I agree it it would be nice and needed in some situations.

Edited by ggrussell

That's why I want to crop the image, not shrink i.e remove 25% from each side.

Sorry, I don't know how. Zoom works to maintain the selected display ratio so that doesn't work as you know. Have you Googled for a solution?

Edited by sknis

Of course most of the fun of Roxio Creator is finding ways to do Off Label Use of the product :lol:

Here is a way…

Add a Color Panel then add your LEFT Video as an Overlay:

post-39730-040502400 1288369222.jpg

Move the overlay 1/4 width to the Right (I use a ruler held up onscreen ;) )

post-39730-092077000 1288369224.jpg

(Hint: you can use the Arrow keys to move it – Shift Arrow = Coarse & Arrow = Fine)

Do an Export As:

post-39730-081934500 1288369227.jpg

Delete the Overlay and add the Exported file back in, as an Overlay.

Move the Overlay to the Left until it is only 1/2 of the screen:

post-39730-077884300 1288369230.jpg

Export As and start a New Project. Add a color panel, only this time make it Green. Add your RIGHT video doing the left & right shifts along with the Export As...

post-39730-067107400 1288369233.jpg

New Project! Add your Left video on the Video Track and your Right video as an overlay:

Under Settings pick the Chroma Key:

post-39730-076924700 1288369237.jpg

Then use the Eyedropper to pick the Green:

post-39730-009711200 1288369243.jpg

And you end up with a 1/2 & 1/2!!

post-39730-009963700 1288369247.jpg

Give it a try and see how that works out for you :rolleyes:

Jim, this one needs to be pinned or plagerized by Roxio ! :rolleyes::P

Works fine IF what you want to show is actually on the left or right side of those videos which would require some planning ahead before shooting. But why couldn't you use two overlays instead? Or even a single overlay if the action you need on the main track was left or right in the frame.

Oops... hope that video isn't copyrighted. LOL But if the action is in the center of a frame, you definitely would need a crop function and maybe even key frame editing to follow it. Only more advanced video editors have those functions.

post-49-021353800 1288376794.jpg

post-49-035207500 1288377020.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Works fine IF what you want to show is actually on the left or right side of those videos which would require some planning ahead before shooting. But why couldn't you use two overlays instead? Or even a single overlay if the action you need on the main track was left or right in the frame.

The OP asked how to trim 25% off of each side... I answered his question.

There are of course different ways to handle differing requirements. And some cases where it just can't be done :lol:

I was not asleep ! I was looking down. :blink: Funny thing - I wore that shirt last week. :rolleyes: I don't know who the lady is though. :unsure:

Send my royalties in beer to me. No empty bottles please and no light stuff that redwagon drinks. :P:lol:

Simple hack I just learned:

1. Use any broadcasting software (OBS, Streamlabs)

2. Window capture the video you want.

3. Resize the video so that only the part you want fills the screen, along with open space on one side or the other (make sure the aspect ratio of your screen and your window are the same).

4. Record the video from the broadcasting software.

5. Repeat step 2.

6. Repeat step 3, leaving space on the same side as the first video.

7. Repeat step 4.

8. Overlay one over the other so that the free space of the first is take up by the focus of the second.