• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Media Import won't recognise home DVD footage

Cargo

Question

Hello - I am a newbie to EMC 8. After I finalised my home DVD on my Sony Handycam I tried to edit it in EMC 8 but although it plays fine, Media Import does not recognise the footage as video - it just keeps reverting to 'Select a device or source to import from' when I select 'video'. It will import it if I select 'photo' - but then it doesn't work.

I wasted 6 hours yesterday trying to sort this out! I am sure the answer is out there somewhere.

Help please. :)

Cargo

7 answers to this question

This seems like it could be a common problem. There's three threads right now about it:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=5887

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6883

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6886

To sum up (correct me if I'm wrong):

Using Roxio Media Import to import a finalized DVD created with a set top DVD recorder isn't working very often.

The DVD will play/is watchable in the drive using a typical DVD viewing program

The DVD is recognized and the folders (i.e. Video_TS) can be explored outside RMI

There isn't necessarily an error code or anything saying that the media is unacceptable, just a blank box where the message would be (under the drop down menu that says choose the location of the media)

Was anyone able to import anything at all? It actually worked for the first DVD for me which makes this twice as frustrating.

Sorry for the duplicates but I thought if we all work together we might figure this one out...

This seems like it could be a common problem. There's three threads right now about it:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=5887

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6883

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=6886

To sum up (correct me if I'm wrong):

Using Roxio Media Import to import a finalized DVD created with a set top DVD recorder isn't working very often.

The DVD will play/is watchable in the drive using a typical DVD viewing program

The DVD is recognized and the folders (i.e. Video_TS) can be explored outside RMI

There isn't necessarily an error code or anything saying that the media is unacceptable, just a blank box where the message would be (under the drop down menu that says choose the location of the media)

Was anyone able to import anything at all? It actually worked for the first DVD for me which makes this twice as frustrating.

Sorry for the duplicates but I thought if we all work together we might figure this one out...

Yup - this is sort of it and I have now found out it is THE common problem with mini DVDs.

Firstly, yes the DVD will play on my PC.

BUT (and this is a big but) it appears that mini DVDs, well certainly those created by a Sony Handycam, cannot be edited. I found this out on 'Camcorders Forum' which I found by doing a Google search on the problem. Somebody on that website says you can edit mini DVDs but that it is a real hassle and takes ages though he has explained how it can be done.

Now I bought my Sony Handycam 6 months ago - and then more recently the Roxio software - both purchases with the full expectation of being able to edit my home DVDs. On both occassions I explained that I wanted to edit and both Jessups and Staples told me I could edit. My camcorder model is DCR-DVD92E which doesn't even have a connection to a PC - quite frankly and considering the money i paid for it I am appalled. I went on the Sony website and seemingly they don't make this model now! There is some software available (Pixela Picture Package) but I don't think you can edit in it, though I will find out tomorrow when I can phone and speak to somebody.

If anybody out there has any solution to the mini-DVD problem please do let us know otherwise we have made very expensive mistakes with our purchases. I think the Roxio packaging should say that it is NOT compatible with mini-DVDs and as for the camcorder sales people - well, words fail me.

Cargo

Yup - this is sort of it and I have now found out it is THE common problem with mini DVDs.
Unfortunately, miniDVDs isn't just a Roxio problem. Other video editing software also has the same problem. I think the miniDVD camcorders aren't writing to the disc 'exactly' like a larger burner for some reason and it causes intermittent read errors.

As I posted previously, set top DVD recorders have two modes: video DVD and DVD VR. My LiteOn uses DVD VR and I've never had a problem using Media Import, but most people seem to have better luck with video DVD format. Check your recorder to see which format(s) it supports. If you have Video DVD as a choice, select that and see if that helps (or try DVD VR which ever isn't working).

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, you can always copy the VOB files to your hard drive and rename the extension to .MPG. This works for most people, but not all. Technically, that's what Media Import is doing except it also recombines all the VOBs back into a single file or extracts a particular scene into a single file depending on your choice.

Hello - I am a newbie to EMC 8. After I finalised my home DVD on my Sony Handycam I tried to edit it in EMC 8 but although it plays fine, Media Import does not recognise the footage as video - it just keeps reverting to 'Select a device or source to import from' when I select 'video'. It will import it if I select 'photo' - but then it doesn't work.

I wasted 6 hours yesterday trying to sort this out! I am sure the answer is out there somewhere.

Help please. :)

Cargo

If I may add to the good advice already given...

See if VOB2MPG can handle these problem discs. It's a small free utility program available here. Fast download and a simple install so you won't be wasting a lot of time if it turns out it doesn't work.

What it does is converts all the vobs on the disc into one large mpeg file on your hard disk. No rendering is performed so it's reasonably fast. I find it more reliable than renaming vobs.

Once you have your mpeg, you're on your way...

Doesn't the Sony Pixela software have any any options to convert the disc into some file(s) that's editable by Roxio?

Lance

If I may add to the good advice already given...

See if VOB2MPG can handle these problem discs. It's a small free utility program available here. Fast download and a simple install so you won't be wasting a lot of time if it turns out it doesn't work.

What it does is converts all the vobs on the disc into one large mpeg file on your hard disk. No rendering is performed so it's reasonably fast. I find it more reliable than renaming vobs.

Once you have your mpeg, you're on your way...

Doesn't the Sony Pixela software have any any options to convert the disc into some file(s) that's editable by Roxio?

Lance

Thank you to everyone for the help. This last suggestion by lehill (VOB2MPG) seems to work the best. I have to say it's very easy - although why do I have to install ".net" first to install VOB2MPG? What is ".net?"

I do wish I could explain or solve the mystery why the RMI doesn't work on it's own while it seems to recognize that there are files on the home DVD you're trying to import but it just won't show them to let you import them...?

I suggest the VOB2MPG program as it is VERY easy and seems to work well (fingers crossed that it keeps working this well).

Archived