• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Europe Vs North America

Ott665

Question

I believe I have the same question/problem as "macmidiguy" but just to be on the safe site here is my question/problem. I have this video (movie) from Europe, it is Pal and Region 2.

I can play it on my iMac but my DVD player connected to my TV doesn't recognize it. I have been looking for software to change it to Region 1 which I believe is for North America.

I found something on the web that let me make a disk image but once burned I ended up with another Pal DVD.

Before I put my hopes on Toast 10 I would like to know if it will convert from Pal to the North American version.

Any help / insight is appreciated.

My OS is 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)

Edited by Ott665

1 answer to this question

* Yes, Toast can convert from PAL to NTSC. Set Toast to NTSC standard. Add PAL content. Click 'Re-encode to NTSC' when Toast asks about the standard mismatch.

* Please be advised that DVD Regions have nothing to do with tv standards. They are two separate things. Changing region codes will not solve any PAL/NTSC issue. DVD Regions are market based restrictions that has different topography than PAL/NTSC .

World map of NTSC vs. PAL (and SECAM (which is very much like PAL)):

Cable_NTSC_PAL_SECAM_map.jpg

World map of DVD Regions:

400px-DVD-Regions_with_key-2.svg.png

(Quite notable is Japan with Region 2 and the NTSC tv standard. All other Region 2 countries are PAL.)