• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio 2011Pro Backontrack

maintken

Question

I recently added a removable HD. Not an external firewire of USB but but a SATA hot-swappable internal drive in a sleeve that removes for safe keeping. All my drives are fully functional including this one and I've already set it up in BIOS and WIndows 7. Roxio BackOnTrack see's it and adds it to the incremental drop down for data back up and that portion functions perfectly however the drop down below for full system or drive imaging doesnt show this drive in the drop down?

It should be all or nothing I would think. How can I get it added to both drop down boxes? Any help por suggestions are appriciated. SYstem is brand new all drivers and BIOS updated all software is current ect ect ect..

19 answers to this question

There are many drop-downs in BackOn Track. Which are you talking about?

In One-Click Backup > My Data > Settings there is a drop-down to allow you to select the destination for the backup

post-208-029173700 1289178080.jpg

In Advanced Backup > My Data > Create a new backup > Contents > Advanced options there's a drop-down to Add Folder, which will also allow you to add a whole drive letter

post-208-001467800 1289178514.jpgpost-208-049997400 1289178527.jpg

In Advanced Backup > My Data > Create a new backup there's a drop-down to select destination

post-208-089417700 1289178235.jpg

In Advanced Backup > Disk or Partition > Create a new backup the drop-down allows you to back up the whole computer or any combination of disks or partitions.

post-208-095413400 1289178870.jpg

Which drop-down can't you find your drive in?

BackOn Track in Creator 2011 will handle hot-swappable SATA drives okay. In the examples I've used above, hard disks 2 and 3 [partitions C:, Q:, R:, S;, and T:] are both hot-swappable SATA drives and can be seen in all drop-downa. HDs 0 and 1 are built-in PATA drives and can also be seen.

Regards,

Brendon

One thing I can think of is to make sure you have the drive plugged in before you start BOT.

I don't have an external SATA drive to test it on but it could be the drive has to be started before you start the application.

Thanks, No luck.. FYI- the drive functions perfectly and is seen by all other programs including Back On Track if I wanted to performn Data or incremental back ups only but I want a non compressed disk image for my safe as a disaster recovery plan in case of natural disater, fire or theft.

Thanks Brenden: I'm referring to the Advanced Tab. It's NOT showing up in any drop box that will support a complete disk backup, partition or disk image but shows up fine in the incremental or data back up drop downs.

What happens when you try Advanced Backup > Disk or Partition > Create a new backup as seen in my final screenclip. Does your drive not appear there?

In that case, I think I'm beaten Ken. :(

I'm using C2011 Pro's BackOnTrack in Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, booting on the first partition of Hard Disk 3. Both it and Hard Disk 2 are hot-swappable SATAs mounted in mobile racks. Hard Disks 0 and 1 are internal PATA drives.

All my removable SATAs show on every dropdown where they should show. I can't make 'em fail to show at all. I even got one drive with surface defects and formatted it so that the first partition wasn't active [for a change] but it still shows nicely as drive Q: [200GB] in the attached shot.

post-208-088258300 1289802820.jpg

I can't work out why your removable SATA drive won't show. I can't make mine fail to show, so it's not a design fault in Creator 2011. The only thing I have left to ask is does your system require some sort of special driver to recognize the removable SATA(s)? If so, perhaps BackOnTrack can't work with that driver.

If your system doesn't need special drivers, I'm completely stumped. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Regards,

Brendon

Not me.I don't have an eSATA drive but my USB and Firewire drives show up just fine.

Looks like you've tried everything.

I recently added a removable HD. Not an external firewire of USB but but a SATA hot-swappable internal drive in a sleeve that removes for safe keeping.

Unless I missed it the OP doesn't really say eSATA or how it's connected to the PC.

That's the question I would like to know, internal connection or external connection be specific..

Okay Ken, time to tell us more. Grab a cup of coffee and get comfortable. . . . :)

What is the brand/model number of the "sleeve" that your hot-swappable SATA drive fits into?

How is this "sleeve" connected to your motherboard?

Do you have to make any changes to your BIOS to have the drive in the "sleeve" recognized by Windows?

Do you have to install any special drivers to operate the "sleeve"?

Anything else you can tell us about this?

Regards,

Brendon

Firstly, thanks for all the great responses. I'm using a Systemax SYX-P55-CD53, Intel Core i5 650 @ 3,2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64bit ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series running Windows 7. The Sleeve is an EZ-Swap2 by Vantec. It's an SATA mounted in a drive bay and connected to the MB via industry standard SATA cable. Not sure about my BIOS version but drive shows up immedatly in BIOS and also in Windows with no action needed on my part. All other programs including BAck On Track see this drive. Unfortuniately BackOnTrack only sees it partially.

I've attached 3 screen shots and as you can see it's visibvle as F:\ drive in one of them but notwhere to be found on the other two?

Ken

post-87886-058281500 1289876783.jpg

post-87886-071760500 1289877064.jpg

post-87886-056824000 1289877171.jpg

Right, I think I see the problem Ken.

The two main parts of the process you're dealing with are "Contents" and "Destination". You set the contents you want to backup, and then go to look for a destination to send them to.

Now in your penultimate post the first and third images refer to "Destination". Your F: drive has 762 GB of space left, and I think you've selected either selected more "Contents" than that to backup or you've selected F: as part of the "Contents". Either of those conditions will rule out using F: as a "Destination" so it won't appear in the dropdown.

In post #16, F: does show as a possible "Destination". I think that's either because you have deselected F: as part of the backup, or the backup you did select is small enough to fit on F: so that's working right.

I was worried when in post #9, you told me that F: doesn't appear in the Advanced Backup > Disk or Partition > Create a new backup and that seemed to me to be wrong. However, I was asking about "Contents" as shown in my screenclip, and you were talking about "Destination". Your middle image in post #16 shows that F: does appear in the "Contents" dropdown as it should.

Now we have our communications straightened out, I'm pretty sure that your F: drive only disappears from the "Destination" dropdown at times when it can't be used as a destination, and that it appears in the "Contents" dropdown when it should. I think your software is working properly, and that a glass of my favorite muscle-relaxant is in order. :lol:

Edited by Brendon

Good find Brendon.

I agree,according to the screen shots the times that F won't appear as a destination "Entire Computer" is set as the Contents and it's looking like you can't include a drive in the Contents and the Destination,which makes sense.

What happens if you uncheck F: as part of the Entire Computer?Does F: then show up as a destination?

Edited by tbrewst

Yeeeee Haaaaa... I looked at that selection screen many times and never put 2 & 2 together... Soon as I unselected it from back up sure enough there she was in the drop down as available selection for destination just as you stated. Thanks for all the help. You realize I was just testing your patience right? Otherwise I'd be pretty embarrassed.

Respectfully,

Ken