Reinstalling Dla On A Dell Laptop

amalia

Question

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with WinXP Media Center Edition 2005. When I bought it 5 years ago it came with DLA which enabled me to use drag-and-drop to burn CDs and DVDs.

Recently, the computer was damaged, which required me to reinstall WinXP and all the drivers. Since my laptop did not come with a reinstall CD, I had to use one from a friend, who also has a Dell with the same version of WinXP. I also reinstalled all the drivers from her drivers CD and the updates from Dell's website. I also ran all MS Windows updates on the OS to bring it up-to-date to WinXP SP3.

However, the CD/DVD drive now no longer support DLA. I would very much like to reinstall this feature which I found to be very convenient.

Dell lists the drive on the original configuration shipping list as: DVD+/-RW..., 8X, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS) ..., NEC

The computer's Device Manager currently lists it as _NEC DVD+-RQ ND-6650A, and that it is working properly.

Is there a way to reinstall or reactivate this software/feature, which came with my computer but which I lost in the OS reinstallation?

Thank you,

Amalia

11 answers to this question

It came from Dell and is a OEM product, you would have to talk to them...

A new retail version listed here..

DLA is now called Roxio Burn. Downloading and installing Roxio Burn will resolve DLA incompatibility issues with Internet Explorer 8.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dla/overview.html

• Like 1

Thanks but unfortunately the laptop is out of warranty and Dell won't even talk to me :)

Any other suggestions? Or am I out of luck and have to re-purchase (what's the Roxio equivalent?) or find some other software?

Thanks again!

Did you click the blue text (link) in my first post?:unsure:

Hello Amalia,

Sorry I wasn't here earlier, I'm in a different time zone.

Please read this pinned topic written by 'John at Roxio' in the EMC 9, Vista forum.

Down at the bottom of the post you will see a paragraph addressed to Dell customers. There is a link there which says "Click here for the DLA patch.

Click on John's link, and you will download d2d3290.exe from Roxio. Run that patch and it will reinstall DLA 32-bit version 9 for you.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1

Hello Amalia,

Sorry I wasn't here earlier, I'm in a different time zone.

Please read this pinned topic written by 'John at Roxio' in the EMC 9, Vista forum.

Down at the bottom of the post you will see a paragraph addressed to Dell customers. There is a link there which says "Click here for the DLA patch.

Click on John's link, and you will download d2d3290.exe from Roxio. Run that patch and it will reinstall DLA 32-bit version 9 for you.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon,

No need to apologize for geography ;)

Your help is greatly appreciated and what you suggested worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful day, Amalia

Hi Brendon,

No need to apologize for geography ;)

Your help is greatly appreciated and what you suggested worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful day, Amalia

I suggested you Google it.....you said you did...it was (still is) on the first page.

post-68-087320600 1290385335.png

I suggested you Google it.....you said you did...it was (still is) on the first page.

post-68-087320600 1290385335.png

Hi,

You are absolutely right and I did but all the stuff about Vista made me think it was not relevant for me situation. So just a case of my being kinda new to this and not very technical.

Thank you for your efforts though. It's so nice how total strangers help you like this, and I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Amalia