Can't read burned CDR

AUser

Using:

Easy CD Creator 5, Version 5.01 S45

Philips CDRW 1610A

CDR : Memorex 700MB CDR 1x-16x speed.

I've been using the above combination on a Windows Me machine and not had any problems. However, this maching has died and I've transferred the Philips cd writer and the Easy CD Creator to an older Windows machine running Windows 98 SE.

Firstly, the Philips CDRW can read old discs that were recorded on the Windows Me machine.

If I try to record discs, Using Easy CD Creator Data Project they seem to record ok without error. However, when I try to then read the discs I can't. I've tried recording at x8 speed, which is what worked fine on Windows Me. I also tried at x4 speed and finalising the cd. Couldn't read this either. If I try and record the x8 version cd again I get a message saying that there is not enough room left on the cd - so it recognises that the disc isn't blank.

Has anyone got any ideas of what's wrong?

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

Firstly, your drive can read okay. Thanks for mentioning it can read the old discs. The trouble seems to be with the writing side of things.

There are two things which might cause this:-

(a) Hardware failure of the write section of the system. This could be checked by trying one of the freeware CD writing programs available on the 'net. It is possible for the drive to be writing something, even if it isn't doing it properly, and if you can't write properly with another program that'll rule out a software problem.

(:) a software failure.

You have an OEM version of ECDC (5.01 S45) which was probably provided with a specific machine - the one which has died? A Dell?

As bundled software it may have been adapted for the machine it was supplied with, and may have been tweaked for the Operating System it was bundled with, or might not have installed properly in Win98SE.

I would suggest you first try cleaning the software out and then reinstalling. Use the Add/remove programs menu in Control Panel to uninstall, then use the Roxizap program [see the pinned Frequent Answers post at the top of the forum for Roxizap] to clean out the fragments. Finally, reinstall and try the program.

The second suggestion takes a lot more time. Get the 5.3.5.10 updater from Roxio's Support / Software Updates site, and apply that after you've tried the first suggestion. You'll want the Basic updater. You won't need any Driveup patch. The updater's about 11.6 MB I think, so it will take time to download.

Please let us know how you go.

Hi Max,

Firstly, your drive can read okay. Thanks for mentioning it can read the old discs. The trouble seems to be with the writing side of things.

There are two things which might cause this:-

(a) Hardware failure of the write section of the system. This could be checked by trying one of the freeware CD writing programs available on the 'net. It is possible for the drive to be writing something, even if it isn't doing it properly, and if you can't write properly with another program that'll rule out a software problem.

(:) a software failure.

You have an OEM version of ECDC (5.01 S45) which was probably provided with a specific machine - the one which has died? A Dell?

As bundled software it may have been adapted for the machine it was supplied with, and may have been tweaked for the Operating System it was bundled with, or might not have installed properly in Win98SE.

I would suggest you first try cleaning the software out and then reinstalling. Use the Add/remove programs menu in Control Panel to uninstall, then use the Roxizap program [see the pinned Frequent Answers post at the top of the forum for Roxizap] to clean out the fragments. Finally, reinstall and try the program.

The second suggestion takes a lot more time. Get the 5.3.5.10 updater from Roxio's Support / Software Updates site, and apply that after you've tried the first suggestion. You'll want the Basic updater. You won't need any Driveup patch. The updater's about 11.6 MB I think, so it will take time to download.

Please let us know how you go.

Brendon

The second suggestion ("Get the 5.3.5.10 updater from Roxio's Support / Software Updates site, and apply that after you've tried the first suggestion").

Would there not be a possible problem applying the updater to the users OEM version?

Cheers

Tony

Using:

CDR : Memorex 700MB CDR 1x-16x speed.

BTW - there have been more problems reported using Memorex brand than all other brands put together.

Altho I think Brendon is likely to have spotted the main problem, you might consider trying a disc or two of some other brand, to see if it makes a difference. Also, I think 1x-16x sounds like the discs might be old (unless they are CD-RW, which is an entirely different set of considerations).

Lynn

Would there not be a possible problem applying the updater to the users OEM version?

No there shouldn't be, Tony, as long as the Basic updater is used.

I think all OEM versions are Basic, and it sounds like the new machine is "generic".

Success! I just managed to burn a full cd and have been able to read it back ok.

Brendon - you had the right solution, so many thanks for sorting out this problem for me.

I uninstalled, used Roxizap, reinstalled, then applied the Basic update.

The Easy CD Creator 5 Basic cd I have came with the Philips RW unit that I bought and installed separately from the oringinal Windows Me computer; I don't think it will have been altered for a specific platform. It was a few years ago, but I seem to remember I had problems installing it and getting it to write correctly then. I had to unistall, delete remaining files, then reinstall again if my memory serves me correctly. What I failed to mention, and now seems relevant, is that I first uninstalled another version of Easy CD Creator from the Windows 98 machine before installing the version that came with the Philips RW drive. The reason for this is that I installed Easy CD Creator for use with an external cd writer that my wife had brought home form work and needed to use one day. I figured that version might not be compatible with the Philips drive. My guess now is that the uninstall wasn't thorough enough, and this probably caused the writing problems when I installed the current version. Getting a fresh start by using Roxizap has probably been the cure.

Lynn - the Memorex CDR disks are a few years old. I don't get through them very quickly but I had got down to the last few on the spindle. In the batch I had I don't remember many writing problems, and I haven't had any problems reading old disks so far. Maybe I got a good batch. The new ones I've got are by Maxell, also cheapies, but I was expecting to get through a stack sorting this out. I'll see how they fare, but will probably choose a more expensive make next time.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking time to help me.

Best regards,

Max

That's excellent Max.

We used to have a fairly complicated "clean uninstall" proceedure that we users developed to clean out fragments left behind by Adaptec/Roxio uninstallers, but then Patrick developed Roxizap to automate the job and that program has been a blessing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived