• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creating overlays in 8.0

snarfy

Question

Does anyone know how to create an overlay in 8.0 videowave?

There's a 'select custom overlay' option under Add Overlay, so I assume it can be done.

And I can see a greyed out "Save as Custom Object" button...

But no clue as to how to actually create a new overlay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Like we say here in the south, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat.' (cat as in mountain lion). :)

Like Merv pointed out - you should still be able to 'drag n drop' from the Media Selector to the overlay track (Show Media Selector on the Left). For some really great overlays, try a still image with transparent background with gradients. Experiment and you can get some great effects like see-through graphics they use on news casts. See attached PNG I whipped this up in about 20 sec. Make sure you use transparent background and save as PNG with layers. Save this image to your hrad drive and try it out.

Merv, I don't think he wanted the premade overlays, but custom ones.

Gary, So tell me step by step how you did this. What program?

Gary, So tell me step by step how you did this. What program?
I was using something else, but PhotoSuite 8 which is included with Easy Media Creator 8, can do it as well. Just create a canvas with transparent background. Draw whatever you like leaving the parts you want to 'see through' blank. Save as PNG which is a format that keeps the transparency info. Use that file as an overlay.

Another quick example of using gradients with transparent background as overlays. You can't see it here in the forum because the forum uses a 'white' background, but the gradient is 'see-through'. Use your browser to save this image and try it out as a Videowave overlay.

Hello,

I purchased Creator Suite 8 last week - an upgrade from a free (with a DVD burner) version 8 basic. I have the same problem as originally posted. I have tried all the suggestions here, but the "Save as Custom Object" button is always grayed out. I can make all the modifications but I can't save. Do you know this feature requires the "Deluxe" version. If not I will keep trying. Thanks

Has been awhile since I've used the standard version. I now have the Deluxe. However, you must select the object before you can save it (see merv's attachment above).

Thanks. I guess I need the deluxe version. I selected and reselect 50 times - still grayed out.

To add to what Gary said, you can save that overlay for future use. Once you are ready to save your overlay, point to and single click on the overlay in the overlay track to highlight the overlay. Then click the Save as Custom Object button on the Preview Window tool bar. A dialogue box will open asking you to give it a name. Once you have named the overlay and Click OK, that custom overlay will appear when you select Add Overlay and select the custom category.

I have the Deluxe version so I am not sure if this feature is available in the other versions.

post-72-1152629674.jpg

Not sure what the question is. You can add any video or image as an overlay. When you select the video or image, you should get a dialog box asking which track to add it to. One of those choices should be the overlay track.

Ahhhh, thanks.

You know what happened.... I haven't ONCE clicked "add photo/video" before.

Since 7.5 out of habit I've simply dragged and dropped videos and photos into the production, so I never once, in many months of heavy use of the product, even saw the "add as overlay" option!

Ok, that's great. Working as advertised now.

Ahhhh, thanks.

You know what happened.... I haven't ONCE clicked "add photo/video" before.

Since 7.5 out of habit I've simply dragged and dropped videos and photos into the production, so I never once, in many months of heavy use of the product, even saw the "add as overlay" option!

snarfy, you can still drag/drop pictures, video, music, etc. onto any track in Version 8. In fact, I almost always build a project that way. Simply click Show Media Selector in the Tools window. From there, you can access and add media to your projects. To add overlays, you can click Show Effect Selector in the tools window and there you will find tabs for transitions, overlays, effects, and text. A little different than V7.5, but works the same.

so I never once, in many months of heavy use of the product, even saw the "add as overlay" option!

Like we say here in the south, 'There's more than one way to skin a cat.' (cat as in mountain lion). :)

Like Merv pointed out - you should still be able to 'drag n drop' from the Media Selector to the overlay track (Show Media Selector on the Left). For some really great overlays, try a still image with transparent background with gradients. Experiment and you can get some great effects like see-through graphics they use on news casts. See attached PNG I whipped this up in about 20 sec. Make sure you use transparent background and save as PNG with layers. Save this image to your hrad drive and try it out.

post-49-1152643038.png

Like Merv pointed out - you should still be able to 'drag n drop' from the Media Selector to the overlay track (Show Media Selector on the Left).

Your probably right, Gary. I was just pointing out to the OP where the premade overlays were located because it is different than 7.5 and afforded him/her an additional drag/drop option rather than clicking Add Overlays in the Add Content window.

Another quick example of using gradients with transparent background as overlays. You can't see it here in the forum because the forum uses a 'white' background, but the gradient is 'see-through'. Use your browser to save this image and try it out as a Videowave overlay.

post-49-1152643886.png

Archived