• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jbirdwell

Jpg Picture Size

Question

I am starting a project that will contain some 500 slides plus a few short videos and narration. Many of my picture files are 3 to 4 MB in size. Should I resize before usiing in Videowave.

12 answers to this question

I am starting a project that will contain some 500 slides plus a few short videos and narration. Many of my picture files are 3 to 4 MB in size. Should I resize before usiing in Videowave.

No need, but make sure you have a lot of free and defragged space on your hard drive. If you have problems, it will be more hardware related rather then software. Are you going to make a standard DVD , an AVCHD or blu-ray disc?

Makes sure that you account for the TV overscan (TV safe zone) area. Read this (Link). It hasn't been updated in a while but I believe that the information is still valid.

Edited by sknis

No need, but make sure you have a lot of free and defragged space on your hard drive. If you have problems, it will be more hardware related rather then software. Are you going to make a standard DVD , an AVCHD or blu-ray disc?

Makes sure that you account for the TV overscan (TV safe zone) area. Read this (Link). It hasn't been updated in a while but I believe that the information is still valid.

I am making a standard DVD from photo files that range up to 5 MB. I have had great success and the photo quality generally has been good. However a new issue is after using My DVD to add a menu and burn, ALL of my photo files (used in the production) from my C drive disappeared. Roxio Chat suggested my files were too large, as a possible sourch of the problem. I dont want to start the project again, with close to 500 photos and a few video clips, until I solve this mystery.

I am making a standard DVD from photo files that range up to 5 MB. I have had great success and the photo quality generally has been good. However a new issue is after using My DVD to add a menu and burn, ALL of my photo files (used in the production) from my C drive disappeared. Roxio Chat suggested my files were too large, as a possible sourch of the problem. I dont want to start the project again, with close to 500 photos and a few video clips, until I solve this mystery.

What indications do you have that "all your photos" disappeared from your C: drive?

The files are absolutely no longer in the computer. The folder is empty. A search turns up none of the files I used in the production. A REC program finds the reminents of the files, but unfortunateely I created several video productions which were revised and re prossessed several times so that overwrote the erased files and most could not be recovered.

I have had to re-scan all slides and prints. (Believe me, this time they are backed up to several storage devices, not in the work computer.

Thanks for your help

jb

The files are absolutely no longer in the computer. The folder is empty. A search turns up none of the files I used in the production. A REC program finds the reminents of the files, but unfortunateely I created several video productions which were revised and re prossessed several times so that overwrote the erased files and most could not be recovered.

I have had to re-scan all slides and prints. (Believe me, this time they are backed up to several storage devices, not in the work computer.

Thanks for your help

jb

None of the Roxio programs will cause the photo files to disappear. No files used in a Roxio project will overwrite or delete a file used in the project without you requesting it to do so. If they are gone then you must have deliberately deleted them

You would think I would know I erased the files. I finished a burn of a "test" dvd, (and rendered a backup video), and immediately went back to Videowave to make corrections in audio levels, and when I called up the production file, it reported all the files that were missing. This happened twice! It also happened after a short test production using a random selection of jpgs from several folders...but not all folders "lost" files. For the most part all audio and video inserts were still ok. The program lists the files that are missing, so I am working from those lists to make replacements.

Inyeresting to note that a review of Windows 2011 Movie Maker says in the CONS list that it "silently removes" the data filees. My first suspecion was that the problem is in Win 7, which I am using.

Two things I am concerned about. Any size limitations (other than slow processing) in the data files if they are from 1 to 6 megs...and am I likely to have this problem again. I guess the answer to that is to try another burn with random pictures for minimum time in production. And...certainly I have been told many times that My DVD and Videowave cannot erase the production files. But something did.

jb

You would think I would know I erased the files. I finished a burn of a "test" dvd, (and rendered a backup video), and immediately went back to Videowave to make corrections in audio levels, and when I called up the production file, it reported all the files that were missing. This happened twice! It also happened after a short test production using a random selection of jpgs from several folders...but not all folders "lost" files. For the most part all audio and video inserts were still ok. The program lists the files that are missing, so I am working from those lists to make replacements.

Inyeresting to note that a review of Windows 2011 Movie Maker says in the CONS list that it "silently removes" the data filees. My first suspecion was that the problem is in Win 7, which I am using.

Two things I am concerned about. Any size limitations (other than slow processing) in the data files if they are from 1 to 6 megs...and am I likely to have this problem again. I guess the answer to that is to try another burn with random pictures for minimum time in production. And...certainly I have been told many times that My DVD and Videowave cannot erase the production files. But something did.

jb

If you are afraid of files being "deleted" then don't use the original files in any of your projects. I always create a project folder into which I copy all the resource files (photo, video, audio) and work with those copies. That way there is no possibility of ever modifying/deleting any of the original files.

The "missing files" message usually appears if you have moved any of the files used in the project, renamed them.

Regarding the file sizes, I have never experienced any problems with using jpgs that are in the 4-5MB range. I usually don't even have my camera setting so that files of that size are created. The only time you need photos with that kind of resolution is if you do heavy zooming-in otherwise it is just a waste of pixels. When you create a standard DVD slideshow everything gets converted to a 720x480 resolution anyway.

Roxio does not delete any files used in the project. What Windows Movie Maker does is irrelevant here. I have no idea what the reviewer means by "silently removes" data files. Do you have a link for that review?

Edited by myguggi

Are your images on your system drive or a remote (networked) drive?

Re Moviemaker 2011, See review at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366352,00.asp.

Perhaps we are not reading/interpreting the same thing.

"Cons

Some important files silently omitted from drive-image backups. Advanced options can be confusing. No voice-overs, chroma key, or picture-in-picture."

Are you making a drive-image backup after you use WMM to make some projects? I read that as saying if you make a project in WMM and then make a image of your hard drive, then some of the files created by WMM may not be included in the back up image. If you go to restore the hard drive from that image, then some of the projects (not photos) may not be able to be opened. It says nothing about losing your photo images.

I ask again, where are your photos? If they are on a networked drive, then you will have issues. If they are on your system drive and they cannot be found, then your hard drive has some issues. Try doing a check disc on the hard drive.

All files were moved to my C:/Documents drive for the production, and now that I have re-scanned the images they will remain there until I have a successful DVD burned to archive as a "master." As of today, I am very happy with the videowave production and I have an excellent MPG video (best for DVD) and it plays very well in the computer. Hoewever a trial DVD burn resulted in a poor audio mix with volume increases where I adjusted it lower in production.

Can I burn from the MPG video without degradation?

jb

All files were moved to my C:/Documents drive for the production, and now that I have re-scanned the images they will remain there until I have a successful DVD burned to archive as a "master." As of today, I am very happy with the videowave production and I have an excellent MPG video (best for DVD) and it plays very well in the computer. Hoewever a trial DVD burn resulted in a poor audio mix with volume increases where I adjusted it lower in production.

Can I burn from the MPG video without degradation?

jb

Instead of burning to a DVD directly, burn to an image file (ISO); that is one of the three options when you click burn in Create DVD. Name the file and select the location where you want it on your computer.

Download the free "VLC" player from cnet.com. Drag the ISO file to VLC. It will play it just as if it were a DVD. If it sounds OK, then just copy the Image file to a DVD using the application on the Home page. Don't scrimp; use good a good quality DVD - no store brands; Memorex tends to give more people problems than they are worth. Try using Verbatim. Also you may want to lower the burn speed.

If the audio is still an issue in the ISO file, come back and let us know.

Don't skip over what people are suggesting. You don't acknowledge the responses so we don't know what you tried or didn't try. For instance, I asked if your images were on a networked drive and you responded that you rescanned them to the c drive. The responses are important because if you have a real issue, we don't/can't guess on how to fix them.