• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Mydvd Hangs At 97%

Magsie

Question

Hi,

I'm using Roxio Creator 2010 Pro. My operating system is Windows XP.

Im trying to burn a Windows Media Video (wmv)file to a DVD. Works well up to the 'Complete' stage, where it just hangs at 97%. I have downloaded the suggested files from Microsoft, which the Roxio Program said it needed in order to work on these files, eg. KB888656-X86-Global-enu.exe package, as well as the later version of KB891122.

Everything worked well up to the final stage.

Would appreciate help.

Regards,

Magsie.

Hi again,

Just want to add that I eventually got an error message which said, 'Failed to start the image writing operation error while Burning Image 80004003 error while aborting.

Can anyone explain what this means and how to fix the problem?

Regards,

Magsie

Hi again,

Just want to add that I eventually got an error message which said, 'Failed to start the image writing operation error while Burning Image 80004003 error while aborting.

Can anyone explain what this means and how to fix the problem?

Regards,

Magsie

Here is a Kb article on that error. Try what it says.

Just to make sure, try burning to an ISO file first. In Create DVD-Advanced, when you go to burn, the dialog box has three options. Uncheck burn to disc and check only burn to ISO file. Name the file and set the location where you want it. Let it burn (encode). Once it finishes, play it with the free VLC player (get it from cnet.com). If it plays OK then use the application on the home page to burn the ISO file to a disc. If it doesn't burn, then you disc or the burner is the problem,

If you can't encode to an ISO file then there is something wrong with your production. Come back and let us know what happens.

Here is a Kb article on that error. Try what it says.

Just to make sure, try burning to an ISO file first. In Create DVD-Advanced, when you go to burn, the dialog box has three options. Uncheck burn to disc and check only burn to ISO file. Name the file and set the location where you want it. Let it burn (encode). Once it finishes, play it with the free VLC player (get it from cnet.com). If it plays OK then use the application on the home page to burn the ISO file to a disc. If it doesn't burn, then you disc or the burner is the problem,

If you can't encode to an ISO file then there is something wrong with your production. Come back and let us know what happens.

Many thanks for the reply. I'll give the ISO file a go first before installing firmware as you suggested.

Hope this solves the problem. Will let you know.

Regards,

Magsie

Many thanks for the reply. I'll give the ISO file a go first before installing firmware as you suggested.

Hope this solves the problem. Will let you know.

Regards,

Magsie

Hi,

Further to this problem. I created an ISO file which played on the VLC media player. Then I used Roxio application to burn the file to disc. Went well until last little bit where it is hanging at 98%. The progress shows that the total sectors were burnt/created to the disc with zero time remaining. (I should mention that all the discs actually play on the DVD player, even though I suspect they are not absolutely correct.)

Would you then suggest that I should update the firmware? I have downloaded a package from LiteOn for the Burner.

It's a bit frustrating but I'm hoping this can be sorted out. By the way, I have a Nero Burning Program on the computer, (it's a freeby/trial), should I uninstall this. Could it be interfering?

Regards,

Magsie

Hi,

Further to this problem. I created an ISO file which played on the VLC media player. Then I used Roxio application to burn the file to disc. Went well until last little bit where it is hanging at 98%. The progress shows that the total sectors were burnt/created to the disc with zero time remaining. (I should mention that all the discs actually play on the DVD player, even though I suspect they are not absolutely correct.)

Would you then suggest that I should update the firmware? I have downloaded a package from LiteOn for the Burner.

It's a bit frustrating but I'm hoping this can be sorted out. By the way, I have a Nero Burning Program on the computer, (it's a freeby/trial), should I uninstall this. Could it be interfering?

Regards,

Magsie

What "Roxio Application" did you use to burn the iso file to DVD?

Hi,

I used the 'Burn Disc Image' from the Home page of Roxio Creator 2010 Pro and then chose the iso file image from my computer. The 'Burn Disc Image' page comes out automatically from the Data/Copy section of the Roxio Program.

I hope this explains the procedure ok.

Regards,

Magsie

Hi,

I used the 'Burn Disc Image' from the Home page of Roxio Creator 2010 Pro and then chose the iso file image from my computer. The 'Burn Disc Image' page comes out automatically from the Data/Copy section of the Roxio Program.

I hope this explains the procedure ok.

Regards,

Magsie

How long in time is the video you are trying to burn?

How long in time is the video you are trying to burn?

It's 1.6 GB (826656 sectors). The actual video files total 23.08 minutes.

Program has just finished however there was an error. This is what it said.

Problem writing to disc. Sense: 02 ASC:04 ASCQ:08 (Command 00)

Px.dll: 4.18.16.0

PxAFS.DLL: 4.18.16.0

Pxdrv.dll: 1.02.47a

PxMAS.dll: 4.18.16.0

PxSFS.DLL: 4.18.16.0

PxWave.dll: 4.18.16.0Pxwma.dll: 1,0,0,3

Are you able to determine the problem from this result?

Regards,

Magsie

Edited by Magsie

That's a drive error and not a software one

2 / 04 / 08 LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS

It could be a hiccup somewhere between the program output and the drive itself (drive buffer, RAM, connection)

Hi,

Would you be able to give me some idea on how to correct this problem? It's just that this problem has never happened before, and it seems to only happen with the Roxio program.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Magsie

It's not actually a software problem per se - it's the drive itself sending that message back to the software

Reasons - media being used (try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden/JVC), check that you have sufficient drive space on the hard drive (clear temp and so on). Also check in Device Manager that the drive hasn't switched to PIO instead of DMA (that happens now and again - if it has, switch it back) and then get back to us and let us know what happened

It can also be caused if another program is trying to access the drive

Edited by gi7omy

It's not actually a software problem per se - it's the drive itself sending that message back to the software

Reasons - media being used (try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden/JVC), check that you have sufficient drive space on the hard drive (clear temp and so on). Also check in Device Manager that the drive hasn't switched to PIO instead of DMA (that happens now and again - if it has, switch it back) and then get back to us and let us know what happened

It can also be caused if another program is trying to access the drive

Hi again,

Thanks for your response. I'll try to check all of these things but I will be away over Christmas so will have to leave it till I get back. I'll check back with you then, if that's ok.

Regards,

Magsie

post-84932-088439400 1294458855.jpgpost-84932-059696000 1294458874.jpgpost-84932-090075500 1294458907.jpgpost-84932-059999800 1294458940.jpgpost-84932-082422000 1294458967.jpgHi,

Back from holiday. Have checked the Device Manager and found IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers but I don't know which one the DVD Drive is connected to. Hopefully the attachments will help determine which channel belongs to the Drive. I've read through the Windows XP DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices but it doesn't say how to tell which device is connected to which channel.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Magsie

Daithi [gi7omy] is probably fast asleep at the moment in his time zone, so I'll pop in here to help him at this point.

In your screenshots your Device Manager is showing you have two primary and two secondary controllers. It looks like the first primary and first secondary aren't being used. They are showing "Not applicable" in the 'Current Transfer Mode' slot.

In the working secondary controller [bottom picture] Device 0 is fine at UDMA 5, but device 1 is set down to PIO mode. This could be the cause of your problems. Something changed that controller down to very low gear, and it doesn't automatically change back to UDMA [or high gear]. I would expect Device 1 - your optical drive - to be set at UDMA 2 or UDMA 4. Device 0 looks like a hard drive since it's at UDMA 5.

To fix this PIO problem, first determine which Secondary IDE Channel gave you the bottom picture showing a 'PIO Only'

Then right-click on that channel in Device Manager, and 'Uninstall' it.

Finally, restart your machine.

This will cause Windows to re-detect the uninstalled channel, and reinstall it. In doing so, it will reset the DMA settings for the channel, and if you go back and look at it in Device Manager you should see that Device 1 is now set to DMA. If it is, try a test burn and then come and tell us how you got on.

Regards,

Brendon

Daithi [gi7omy] is probably fast asleep at the moment in his time zone, so I'll pop in here to help him at this point.

In your screenshots your Device Manager is showing you have two primary and two secondary controllers. It looks like the first primary and first secondary aren't being used. They are showing "Not applicable" in the 'Current Transfer Mode' slot.

In the working secondary controller [bottom picture] Device 0 is fine at UDMA 5, but device 1 is set down to PIO mode. This could be the cause of your problems. Something changed that controller down to very low gear, and it doesn't automatically change back to UDMA [or high gear]. I would expect Device 1 - your optical drive - to be set at UDMA 2 or UDMA 4. Device 0 looks like a hard drive since it's at UDMA 5.

To fix this PIO problem, first determine which Secondary IDE Channel gave you the bottom picture showing a 'PIO Only'

Then right-click on that channel in Device Manager, and 'Uninstall' it.

Finally, restart your machine.

This will cause Windows to re-detect the uninstalled channel, and reinstall it. In doing so, it will reset the DMA settings for the channel, and if you go back and look at it in Device Manager you should see that Device 1 is now set to DMA. If it is, try a test burn and then come and tell us how you got on.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon, Will have to digest this a little later. Thanks for your reply. Will get back to you.

Regards,

Magsie

Thanks Brendon, Will have to digest this a little later. Thanks for your reply. Will get back to you.

Regards,

Magsie

Me again,

I feel cautious about doing the uninstall particularly as you suspected Device 'O' to be the Hard Drive.

Being a novice at these things, could I change Device 1 in the IDE Secondary channel to 'DMA if Available' from the drop down list to change the current transfer mode from PIO to DMA? Would this have to same result after rebooting the computer?

Here is a screen shot to show what I mean.

post-84932-034920900 1294553252.jpg

Hi,

Uninstalling is not a problem even if the first device on the channel is a hard drive - Windows just installs it again and you're back fully operational after the restart.

I just uninstall/restart straight off because sometimes you can't manually reset the DMA, but if you feel nervous, by all means try manually resetting Device 1 to DMA if available and then restart Windows. It may well do the trick, and if it doesn't then it's only a moment's work to do the uninstall/restart.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi,

Uninstalling is not a problem even if the first device on the channel is a hard drive - Windows just installs it again and you're back fully operational after the restart.

I just uninstall/restart straight off because sometimes you can't manually reset the DMA, but if you feel nervous, by all means try manually resetting Device 1 to DMA if available and then restart Windows. It may well do the trick, and if it doesn't then it's only a moment's work to do the uninstall/restart.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi again,

Firstly, many thanks for that advice, the Secondary Channel is now set in the Current Transfer Mode to 'Ultra DMA Mode 5'. Everything seemed to be going smoothly when copying a DVD via the Copy & Convert program, in the Copy mode.

Unfortunatly it was not recognised by my DVD Player, (My DVD player is working ok with other disks.)and would not play in my computer on any program. I could open it from 'MyComputer' to see that it had 11 Video_TS files. The disk I copied from was large 7.38MB, with 14 Video_TS files on it.

The Roxio Program started by Compressing the data to end up at 4.35MB.

The original and the copied disks are both in UDF format. (Could this be the problem?)

I had not ticked 'verify disk', however the program said the disk had 'completed'.

Sorry for the length and rambles, I hope it is understandable. I was very excited to see the program working quickly, no hangs, and actually overjoyed with that aspect of it, but, what now!

Can you advise me on how to overcome this problem. I seem to be missing something somewhere along the line.

Regards,

Magsie

PS: the original DVD plays perfectly on both my DVD Player and my Computer.

Your trying to compress a DL disc 7.38MB (I think you meant 7.38GB) to a single layer 4.35GB disc.

What speed did the disc burn at?

From the Home page, tools, get disc information. A DVD Video should look like this.

What brand name and X write speed disc's are you using?

post-97-094590900 1294674366.jpg

Your trying to compress a DL disc 7.38MB (I think you meant 7.38GB) to a single layer 4.35GB disc.

What speed did the disc burn at?

From the Home page, tools, get disc information. A DVD Video should look like this.

What brand name and X write speed disc's are you using?

post-97-094590900 1294674366.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The original disk is infact 7.38GBs which 'MyComputer' shows correctly, however Roxio shows it as 7.38MBs. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R disks. Burn speed set by Roxio.

I have attached 5 screen captures which I hope will help clarify things.

Regards,

Magsie

post-84932-057627900 1294703534.jpgpost-84932-073476000 1294703571.jpgpost-84932-043930200 1294703610.jpgpost-84932-090827300 1294703638.jpgpost-84932-065276100 1294703664.jpg

Right, whoa there a minute Magsie. Things seem to have changed and they're getting confusing. I think we need to re-define where we are, is that okay?

You started off trying to burn a WMV file to disc in post #1. Then you created an ISO which hung at 97% while burning it to disc in post #5. At post #9 that seems to be 1.6 GB.

Around then you seem to have had the DMA problem, which is now fixed.

Suddenly in post #19 you are "copying a DVD via the Copy & Convert program, in the Copy mode" and that's from a Double Layer original, so I have NO IDEA what relevance the screen shots of 'Burn data disc' have to this new problem starting at post #19.

I think we have slid from one problem/program to another, so can you tell us what you're trying to do now, with what program, and what the problem is? :)

Thanks lots,

Brendon

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The original disk is infact 7.38GBs which 'MyComputer' shows correctly, however Roxio shows it as 7.38MBs. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R disks. Burn speed set by Roxio.

I have attached 5 screen captures which I hope will help clarify things.

Regards,

Magsie

post-84932-057627900 1294703534.jpgpost-84932-073476000 1294703571.jpgpost-84932-043930200 1294703610.jpgpost-84932-090827300 1294703638.jpgpost-84932-065276100 1294703664.jpg

I have no idea what those images are supposed to show. From one I can see that Roxio says it is 7.558GB (=7558MB) and that indicates a DL DVD But the Disc Information also says its a Single Layer DVD-ROM. Something is strange there

What I said.

Hi again,

Sorry for the confusion, I have infact jumped from one situation to another. Firstly, the changing to DMA from PIO fixed the original problem and I have now been able to burn from the ISO Image file to a DVD successfully. Roxio no longer hangs at 97%. Thank you all very much for solving that problem.

Secondly, I have now encountered another situation when trying to copy a DVD which is 7.38GB using the 'Video Copy & Convert - Copy DVD' program.

I didn't twig that it was DL, but the program started by compressing the data.

The problem now: The disc completed but it would not play in my DVD Player or in my computer on any program.

Cdanteek asked: What speed it was burnt at - I'm not sure now. Also asked for disc info, brand and write speed - Verbatim DVD-R 16x disc.

In the Disc Information Screen shot above, the disc type from which I tried to copy from, is shown as a single Layer DVD Rom, Closed, DVD-Video. I don't know if this is relevant to the problem.

Once again, many thanks for solving the original situation.

Regards,

Magsie

Hi again,

Sorry for the confusion, I have infact jumped from one situation to another. Firstly, the changing to DMA from PIO fixed the original problem and I have now been able to burn from the ISO Image file to a DVD successfully. Roxio no longer hangs at 97%. Thank you all very much for solving that problem.

Secondly, I have now encountered another situation when trying to copy a DVD which is 7.38GB using the 'Video Copy & Convert - Copy DVD' program.

I didn't twig that it was DL, but the program started by compressing the data.

The problem now: The disc completed but it would not play in my DVD Player or in my computer on any program.

Cdanteek asked: What speed it was burnt at - I'm not sure now. Also asked for disc info, brand and write speed - Verbatim DVD-R 16x disc.

In the Disc Information Screen shot above, the disc type from which I tried to copy from, is shown as a single Layer DVD Rom, Closed, DVD-Video. I don't know if this is relevant to the problem.

Once again, many thanks for solving the original situation.

Regards,

Magsie

Just double checking. Did you get any indication that what you were trying to copy was DRM protected? Where did you get the Captain Cook DVD?