How Do I Burn A Region 0 Dvd?

mbengson

Question

I need to copy a video from my camcorder mini-disk to DVD. Unfortunately, I need to send copies to both the US and the UK. It automatically is encoded Region 1 which is great for the other side of the pond but not so great for those on this side. Is there a setting or something that I can change? I really don't want to hack the DVD.

10 answers to this question

it does play in my DVD player but it's Region 0... so that's no help!

Please re-read post number 3. The DVD will play everywhere but you do have to adjust for PAL vs. NTSC !

BTW, for you "this side of the pond" is in the NL". We often think of this side of the pond being the US. :o Next time make sure you clarify that.

If it's playing in a Region 1 player - you have burnt it to NTSC standard. Region 2 is PAL (mostly - with the exception of SECAM)

The Region allocattions numbers are as follows

0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1–6 flags set.

1 United States, Canada, Bermuda, U.S. territories

2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland

3 Southeast Asia, South Korea, Republic of China (Taiwan), Hong Kong, Macau

4 Mexico, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, Oceania

5 India, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa (except Egypt, South Africa, Swaziland, and Lesotho), Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea

6 People's Republic of China, Hong Kong

7 Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia)

8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.

ALL Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

Archived