Toysys

Upgrading from EMC 6.6 to EMC 8

Question

:)

I have been screwed by Roxio before. When I upgraded from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 all my saved Label Creator files were trash. I had to recreate ALL of them manually and there is no way to export them to any program (you can’t even copy and past the labels, you can only do that within Label Creator). I have contacted Roxio about upgrading from 6.6 to 8 and have, as usual, had NO response. I have over 950 JWL files and WILL NOT recreate them in ECM 8. Does anyone know if these can be opened by ECM 8? I would also like to know if the upgrade will preserve my forms and printer settings or will I, as usual, need to do all that manually?

5 answers to this question

I have been screwed by Roxio before. When I upgraded from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 all my saved Label Creator files were trash. I had to recreate ALL of them manually and there is no way to export them to any program (you can't even copy and past the labels, you can only do that within Label Creator). I have contacted Roxio about upgrading from 6.6 to 8 and have, as usual, had NO response. I have over 950 JWL files and WILL NOT recreate them in ECM 8. Does anyone know if these can be opened by ECM 8? I would also like to know if the upgrade will preserve my forms and printer settings or will I, as usual, need to do all that manually?

No they cannot be opened by v8. You would need to leave v6 installed to access them if you were do get a newer version.

I'm guessing you mean the settings in Label Creator being preserved. Again, no they will not.

I have been screwed by Roxio before. When I upgraded from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 all my saved Label Creator files were trash. I had to recreate ALL of them manually and there is no way to export them to any program (you can’t even copy and past the labels, you can only do that within Label Creator). I have contacted Roxio about upgrading from 6.6 to 8 and have, as usual, had NO response. I have over 950 JWL files and WILL NOT recreate them in ECM 8. Does anyone know if these can be opened by ECM 8? I would also like to know if the upgrade will preserve my forms and printer settings or will I, as usual, need to do all that manually?

Larry is correct, your .JWL files from version 6 will not work with Label Creator in version 8, but there is no problem leaving version 6 installed at the same time.

Might I ask what you're doing with your covers that you need to re-use them? I'm really just curious as I usually make one or two of whatever I'm working on, then never use it again, so what do you do with your 950+ where you reuse them?

Another option I could offer, assuming you don't need to edit them would be to convert them to a .PDF file. Use something like the PDF995 driver to print to a .PDF file, then you're pretty much assured you can print it forever.

Edited by d_deweywright

I don't mean to knock anyone, but for a product to have lacked importability since version 4 (or ever) makes no sense at all.

I don't mean to knock anyone, but for a product to have lacked importability since version 4 (or ever) makes no sense at all.

Nope... no offense taken by anyone here. We've all told Roxio, and Adaptec before them that this was ludicrous. Didn't seem to affect their policy. Being a programmer, I know that it really wouldn't take that much effort to handle importing the old file format.

Another hit and run poster (Toysys). :) The poster hsan't been on line since the original post and never got back to read even the first reply.

:huh:

I have been screwed by Roxio before. When I upgraded from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 all my saved Label Creator files were trash. I had to recreate ALL of them manually and there is no way to export them to any program (you can't even copy and past the labels, you can only do that within Label Creator). I have contacted Roxio about upgrading from 6.6 to 8 and have, as usual, had NO response. I have over 950 JWL files and WILL NOT recreate them in ECM 8. Does anyone know if these can be opened by ECM 8? I would also like to know if the upgrade will preserve my forms and printer settings or will I, as usual, need to do all that manually?

Edited by sknis