Installation Of Roxio Creator 2011

meadow

Question

I have Roxio Creator 2009 on my computer at this time. I bought and want to install Roxio Creator 2011. After reading through some of the topics listed in "Installation/Uninstallaion/Update", I am afraid of messing up on this. I don't even dare to run the installation disk. I read and have done what "sknis" has suggested in his/her "Before You Try To Install". I do meet/exceed the "minimum system specifications" and I've prepared my computer as suggested in steps 1-7 in the link, "Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products". Now, before I actually do steps 8 and 9, I want to know if there is anything else I need to do or know before attempting to install the 2011 program. For example, do I need to uninstall the 2009 version before installing the 2011 version?

Thank you.

Chris

20 answers to this question

I would uninstall the 2009 before installing...

Don't draw the wrong conclusions! The posts here are from the relative few who have trouble. The do not speak of the millions that do not have any trouble. :o

Thanks, Jim, for your reply. I'll uninstall the 2009 and then attempt to install the 2011. If all of this doesn't work, I'll be back. However, I'll also inform you if I am successful.

By the way, I appreciate the work that you and the other moderators do in trying to help those of us who are having Roxio problems. I'm sure that it's sometimes difficult to deal some of your customers. But, I for one, wouldn't be able to solve some of these problems on my own. Thanks.

Chris

Am about to install C2011 on a new computer. Hence, no previous Creator software to uninstall. Must admit however, after reading the numerous posts regarding installation problems, I'm wondering if I've chosen the wrong software. In any event, Hiker Girl mentions that after installing C2011, she was able to "test" some projects that she saved on her hard drive, and "they worked great". I asked about being able to access and use projects created with C2009 elsewhere on this support forum, after upgrading to C2011. The responses received were not exactly definitive. Some were no, while another seemed to indicate to just try it to see. If Hiker Girl reads this post, could she describe the projects referenced in her posting? That is, were they ISO Image files, or were they also VideoWave and/or MyDVD project files? I know that ISO Image files can be accessed.

Thanks

Am about to install C2011 on a new computer. Hence, no previous Creator software to uninstall. Must admit however, after reading the numerous posts regarding installation problems, I'm wondering if I've chosen the wrong software. In any event, Hiker Girl mentions that after installing C2011, she was able to "test" some projects that she saved on her hard drive, and "they worked great". I asked about being able to access and use projects created with C2009 elsewhere on this support forum, after upgrading to C2011. The responses received were not exactly definitive. Some were no, while another seemed to indicate to just try it to see. If Hiker Girl reads this post, could she describe the projects referenced in her posting? That is, were they ISO Image files, or were they also VideoWave and/or MyDVD project files? I know that ISO Image files can be accessed.

Thanks

ISO image files cannot be accessed by Videowave or myDVD. Where did you get that idea? ISO files are an exact image of what is burned to the DVD and they are created by myDVD when you select the "create image" option. They are great for testing to your project to see if everything is correct as they can be played with the VLC media player.

Project files (for Videowave or myDVD) in general are not useable in C2011 especially if they contain transitions and/or effects.

Agreed!

I should have mentioned the Prep Steps, Here

Print it out and use that in conjunction with your install.

Look forward to having you onboard with 2011 ;)

Well, I did everything as instructed. And, guess what---IT WORKED!!!!!! Everything installed onto my computer without any gliches and I tested some of the projects I've saved on my hard drive and they work great.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

I guess I didn't clarify my comment about ISO IMage files created and saved in C2009 being accessed using C2011. I did not mean accessing them using VideoWave or MyDVD. My understanding is that it's possible to access these files with C2011 for the purpose of burning a disk. Did I misunderstand what was relayed in a different posting?

I guess I didn't clarify my comment about ISO IMage files created and saved in C2009 being accessed using C2011. I did not mean accessing them using VideoWave or MyDVD. My understanding is that it's possible to access these files with C2011 for the purpose of burning a disk. Did I misunderstand what was relayed in a different posting?

What do you mean by "access these files with C2011"? All C2011 can do with these iso files is burn them to a DVD using the "Burn image to disc" task. There are of course other 3rd part programs that can burn iso image files to a disc. You do not need any Roxio program to burn iso files to a disc.

Let me add one more quiry. What if the transitions, and all else are removed from a VideoWave file created in C2009 so that all that's left are the color panels, images and whatever text was added to the color panels and images

Why not simply finish the project in C2009 instead of worrying about whether the project can be used in C2011.

If you go as far as removing all transition, effects, etc you might as well restart the project in C2011.

I have my reasons for wanting to access these "finished" projects. I beg to differ that if transitions and a music track are eliminated from a VideoWave project, that one might as well start over. Starting over by dragging and dropping a couple hundred images, while arranging them in the desired order, seems to be no small task in comparison. I still haven't received a definitive answer to my question. Is C2011 able to access VideoWave and/or MyDVD files created with C2009, or is it not?

I have my reasons for wanting to access these "finished" projects. I beg to differ that if transitions and a music track are eliminated from a VideoWave project, that one might as well start over. Starting over by dragging and dropping a couple hundred images, while arranging them in the desired order, seems to be no small task in comparison. I still haven't received a definitive answer to my question. Is C2011 able to access VideoWave and/or MyDVD files created with C2009, or is it not?

I ask again what do you mean by "access"?

I just opened a Creator 2009 VideoWave file, in Creator 2011, and everything came in fine.

The project was a movie production, with slow dissolves, black panels, and text on some of the black panels. All of it worked correctly.

I did not add any music file, but I would guess that that would come in too, although you might possible have to redo the "Fit Video and Audio", if you had done a slide show with music synced to the slides.

There is no definitive answer for you...

It may or it may not. It might even work partly.

You can point it to the location for Photos & Clips but some locations for transitions change and may not be present any longer.

I did a post something about this a few years ago, Here, but that was aimed more at going from one PC to another and not about changing versions…

I just opened a Creator 2009 VideoWave file, in Creator 2011, and everything came in fine.

The project was a movie production, with slow dissolves, black panels, and text on some of the black panels. All of it worked correctly.

I did not add any music file, but I would guess that that would come in too, although you might possible have to redo the "Fit Video and Audio", if you had done a slide show with music synced to the slides.

Was this the C2009 project file or the output file from Videowave?

It was a Creator 2009 .dmsm project file. I rarely, if ever, output files from VideoWave.

Well then you are lucky. I had several projects from C2009 (and C2010) that did would not open correctly in C2011. There were transitions missing (ie blank) and some effects did not work. That is why I would not trust opening a big project from an earlier version in C201.

Well thank you all. Based on the multiple responses it appears that it is possible to access (open) VideoWave (.dmsm) files from C2011. Why it wouldn't be possible always seemed odd. Presumably, C2011 would employ similar if not identical VideoWave software code. Why reinvent what seems to be a fundamental process? My use of the term "access" is in the context of "getting or using" VideoWave files (.dmsm files).

Well then you are lucky. I had several projects from C2009 (and C2010) that did would not open correctly in C2011. There were transitions missing (ie blank) and some effects did not work. That is why I would not trust opening a big project from an earlier version in C201.

There are no doubt, many things (transitions, text, effects, etc.) from Creator 2009 that won't transfer to Creator 2011. I agree with you on not trusting opening a large production, from any previous version, in Creator 2011.

Archived