• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Which Menu Styles Support Thumbnails?

Airstream

Question

I have Roxio 2011, and recently digitized a video tape of eight bands marching in competition. Chapters were established in MyDVD to mark each band’s performance.

It would have been nice if the chapter maker had placed thumbnail images on the chapter markers, but it did not. When I try to do it, the thumbnail option is grayed out. Other threads on this forum mention that some menu styles do not support thumbnails.

Which menu styles support thumbnail images on the chapter buttons?

Thanks,

Tom

17 answers to this question

MyDVD should create thumbnails automatically if you have created Chapter marks AND checked the option to create a sub-menu. If you don't like that thumbnail, you can edit it and search for a section on the video that you want for a thumbnail. I've only done this a few times for testing purposes, but it did work.

Could you list the steps you did to create the myDVD project? ...

Steps: Open Roxio

Click, click, click to get to MyDVD (in 2-D if there is a difference)

Add New Movie - Select video_ts.ifo on external drive

Edit Chapters - 'add chapter here' at select points in the video; Ensure 'update chapter menus' box is checked; Click okay.

The result is the image I posted earlier in this thread.

...There seems to be something wrong with you install as well

That is possible, but in what way? I could find no threads on either symptoms of a bad install, or ways to fix it. This 'no menu' problem has occurred on two different Dell computers - a Dimension 5150, and an Inspiron 580. The only oddity during software installation occurred with the Dimension - Roxio asked me to update my video drivers, which I did. Nothing odd happened when the software was installed on the Inspiron.

HERE is the link, just plug in your system data. Latest is Dec 12th...

Also if you try software, you may have to start a new project to see results. Do it anyway as a test, doesn't have to be a big project.

Next step would be to do the Prep Steps, Here, then start an install only choose Repair when it is offered.

HERE is the link, just plug in your system data. Latest is Dec 12th...

Also if you try software, you may have to start a new project to see results. Do it anyway as a test, doesn't have to be a big project.

Next step would be to do the Prep Steps, Here, then start an install only choose Repair when it is offered.

FWIW, the latest driver was dated 11/25/10 which was newer than my system's 05/17/10 driver. So it was installed.

The repair fell apart while doing something with CinePlayer (see image). To be honest, I have no idea of the consequences because the program sounds like it is used for viewing video files produced by MyDVD, and the production of such is a hurdle yet to be cleared.

For the sake of complete disclosure, I started using Adaptec software many years ago solely for its audio capabilities. Upgrades to Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, and then 9 ensured I could get song titles from Gracenote. The past few months mark my first experience with using Roxio for video purposes. It has been a frustrating journey.

So, with the latest & greatest video driver installed in a brand-new Dell, and a Roxio software repair attempted, the machine was restarted. Everything I had done apparently tweaked Microsoft's attention because a bunch of important updates were suggested after the Inspiron booted. I said 'yes' to all.

A little, six minute video was included in a new project to check out the upgrades/updates. One chapter was marked. No joy - there was no image for the chapter, and the 'select thumbnail' option is still grayed-out.

I really appreciate everyone's advice on this matter, and really wish this whole select thumbnail grayed out issue had been resolved. From reading other threads on this product's Technical Support department, it appears more frustration is in my future. I believe I will wait awhile before contacting them.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Tom

post-90740-087248800 1293484294.jpg

When you click on Change Menu Style, you should see a list of the menus available. Click on a style in the left pane. You should then see the Main Menu and Chapter Menu styles in the right pane. Just go through through each one until you find one you like that has thumbnails for Chapter Menu.

Thanks, but BlueSilver does not support thumbnails. It was the default.

"Home Theater" does not either. I tried to switch to "Snapshots", but the program quit responding before the transition was complete. Windows 7, when asked, thought it best to kill the process.

This version of Roxio appears to take a lot of time to do anything when it is in a responding mood.

When you click on Change Menu Style, you should see a list of the menus available. Click on a style in the left pane. You should then see the Main Menu and Chapter Menu styles in the right pane. Just go through through each one until you find one you like that has thumbnails for Chapter Menu.

I get the impression no one uses thumbnail images with Roxio.

I will probably end up having to go through each style. But at the pace this version of Roxio moves, if I start now, it will take many hours to find the right menu.

I was hoping someone could quick-start my search.

Gary, what would that look like? I see no indication: post-39730-019114400 1293386988.jpg (see below, board not working right :( )

Thanks, but BlueSilver does not support thumbnails. It was the default.

"Home Theater" does not either. I tried to switch to "Snapshots", but the program quit responding before the transition was complete. Windows 7, when asked, thought it best to kill the process.

This version of Roxio appears to take a lot of time to do anything when it is in a responding mood.

My BlueSilver looks like this: post-39730-062344600 1293386444.jpg

Same for the others you listed... Is that what you are after?

Mine take about 5 to 9 seconds to change. Initial building of the window with thumbnails takes some time but there are 100 of them!

I'm surprised to see your image. Was is made with Roxio 2011?

My BlueSilver looks like this:

BlueSilver.jpg

Roxio gave me the first image.

Note that "Select Thumbnail" is grayed out.

Your image encourages me that there might be a setting I have missed on my end.

Could you list the steps you did to create the myDVD project? There seems to be something wrong with you install as well

I show 2 screen captures below of a simple project with one movie and several chapters for that movie. If I select the movie from the main menu page (picture 1) then the first chapter menu page opens (picture 2).

For each of the menu pages shown, you will see that the selection is also highlighted in the project window. This does not appear in your picture.

You can also see that I have thumbnails showing for each of the chapters.

This seems to show that there is something not right with your install or how you are creating your project.

Picture 1

post-103-079353100 1293400777.jpg

Picture 2

post-103-071994400 1293400775.jpg

Jim - I'll double check, but I believe there should be something in that preview.

Airstream - what video card do you have? Is it set for hardware or software render? Check under TOOLS/Options

I get the same screens for the main menu page and chapter menu page as Jim shows if you do not have a movie added. Once a movie is added you should get the chapter thumbnails show up (see my post above). Using the same menu style.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I've got to start dinner now, so I can not step through everything at this moment.

Here's some history on my issue: http://adventuresofacuriousfellow.blogspot.com/2010/12/no-menu-for-you.html

The new super-duper Dell mentioned is here, and no problems have been solved by it's arrival.

More to follow because I really want this particular DVD to work.

Thanks,

Tom

Archived