• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mydvd Converts My 16:9 Video To 4:3, What To Do?

avaldemon

Question

I have a sony handycam HD. I converted the original video to mpeg because for some reason MyDVD refused to encode the original one. So, when i was done with the project I put it to burn, but it came out as not something I expected. The menus where all 16:9, just as I set it in the options, but the video got squished and turned to 4:3. In the preview it shows a 16:9 video, but when it burns it it becomes 4:3. What am I doing wrong?

11 answers to this question

Perhaps she just missed the Video Wave part OR didn't know that "Edit Video-Advanced" is aka Video Wave? :unsure:

Perhaps and I can’t spell it right anyway – ’instustions’ instead of ‘instructions’ :o

We know m2ts should not present a problem but really need the testing to take place to see what is going on. ;)

The original files are not in mp4 format. The video files that I copy directly from the camera are .m2ts format. And when I work with that format in MyDVD it will not encode them, and give out some error. It DID, however, encode it when i made a dvd without the menus.

Also, I did set the ration to 16:9 in the new project window. It still came out squished though. I really appreciate your help. It would be great to have those beautiful menus on dvd. :)

Try renaming a video clip with .mts suffix (instead of .m2ts) and check if that works. Let us know the result.

Try renaming a video clip with .mts suffix (instead of .m2ts) and check if that works. Let us know the result.

I recently did a project for a friend with m2ts files from a Panasonic camcorder and had no poblems with that format. Your suggestion is a good one that the OP should try but I think something else is going on (bad install?).

I certainly haven't seen this issue with C2011 using any hidef file. I have a sample Sony SR11 which is .mts file though. If the preview shows 16:9, then it should burn that way. Perhaps if you would post a sample file on a file sharing site, we could test the file out for you on our machines.

Which Sony Camcorder???

The conversion wrecked your files... You need to use the ones you copy from the camcorder.

You said you had trouble, but without any details...

I have Handycam HDR-SR5. The original video is in HD format.

it did not wreck it. It plays fine in all media players I have. the aspect is the same as the original.

When I try to use original file MyDVD gives out some error saying it could not encode a movie. I am not sure what number was there. a lot of numbers.

It seems that without menus the video seem to encode just fine. Well, at is wide screen, not the same aspect as it was but still it isn't 4:3. :)

Yes the converter wrecked your files…

Attache the camcorder to your PC via USB.

Copy the mp4 files from your camcorder to your PC using Windows Explorer.

Open VideoWave (Edit-Advanced), set to to a New Project, 16:9 and add the files.

What happens?

The original files are not in mp4 format. The video files that I copy directly from the camera are .m2ts format. And when I work with that format in MyDVD it will not encode them, and give out some error. It DID, however, encode it when i made a dvd without the menus.

Also, I did set the ration to 16:9 in the new project window. It still came out squished though. I really appreciate your help. It would be great to have those beautiful menus on dvd. :)

Archived