• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sound Editor Problem

Cusser

EZ Creator 6, Windows XP SP2, Dell 4600, SoundMax integrated digital audio card, all from Dell, factory.

I've used EZ creator 6 for years, even copied tracks from CDs, mixed them up, converted to wav then back to mp3, burned custom CDs, no problem. I had used sound editor then as well, just not for recording line input.

But the other day for the VERY FIRST TIME I tried to hook up a cassette deck to the sound card line inputs using the correct adapter, choosing source as line input. Only the right channel showed a signal, the left was pegged at maximum. Recording was in stereo, both VU meters , use of headphones to deck confirmed that. Even with nothing plugged in to line input, same left pegging occurred. This also caused me to lose ALL sound capability out my speakers as well. If I set up o record though microphone jack on sound card, it looked like both sides were getting signal. I had to do system restore to an earlier date to get the computer's sound back (all programs, CD discs, YouTube, etc. I may have also lost Volume Control and Windows Medai Player as well, but somehow used either Restore or the XP disc to get those back, and make a resore point. I now have Roxio completely off, after doing a complete removal and re-install, which appeared to go normally, and it happened again, so I went through the whole restore before. Now I don't have a clue what to do without screwing up my system again. Can anyone help, or anyone also have similar issue? I'm not a computer whiz, that's for sure. Thanks.

If it were me, I'd download and reinstall your audio drivers from Dell. There shouldn't be any way that reinstalling the proper audio drivers can screw anything up, and it's easier than reinstalling Windows and all your applications.

If it were me, I'd download and reinstall your audio drivers from Dell. There shouldn't be any way that reinstalling the proper audio drivers can screw anything up, and it's easier than reinstalling Windows and all your applications.

Brendon - do you mean to reinstall the audio drivers from the Dell Drivers Disc supplied when I bought my system, or is this something on-line from Dell? I am not positive how to do this. Could this be an Internet Explorer issue - I can check later to see what version of IE I have there.

I did check today at work where we also have one computer there with Easy CD/DVD creator 6, and its Sound Editor when set to "line in" on record does NOT peg out on its left channel, so seems to be OK. That computer has a different sound card. I'd rather not swap any sound cards in right now to see if that helps.

I also downloaded (but haven't installed yet) a non-Roxio program called Sound Editor Deluxe which is free for 30 days, to possibly try. Does that sound like it would be worth the try? Or would the smartest thing to do is get a more-recent version of EZ Creator? If so: EXACTLY which version should I buy (Ebay or new) so I don't have Internet Explorer issues? I have Windows XP Home Edition.

Brendon - do you mean to reinstall the audio drivers from the Dell Drivers Disc supplied when I bought my system, or is this something on-line from Dell? I am not positive how to do this. Could this be an Internet Explorer issue - I can check later to see what version of IE I have there.

I did check today at work where we also have one computer there with Easy CD/DVD creator 6, and its Sound Editor when set to "line in" on record does NOT peg out on its left channel, so seems to be OK. That computer has a different sound card. I'd rather not swap any sound cards in right now to see if that helps.

I also downloaded (but haven't installed yet) a non-Roxio program called Sound Editor Deluxe which is free for 30 days, to possibly try. Does that sound like it would be worth the try? Or would the smartest thing to do is get a more-recent version of EZ Creator? I have Windows XP Home Edition.

The trouble you are having has nothing to do with the Roxio software.

You are having problems with your Sound Card/chipset.Go to the dell site and see if you can find anything there.Start here http://xpdrivers.com/sound-audio/dell/_3_2390.cfm

IE 7 and up have caused problems and also any version above Windows Media Player 9.

Getting a new version of software will not fix your sound card problem.

Hi,

I don't know if Internet Explorer changes could produce the effect you're seeing. I hope not.

If you still have the original driver disc you're to be commended :) Most users can't find it anymore when it's needed. Using that should put you back to where you were as far as audio drivers go, although if you check with the Dell site there may be updated drivers for your machine which may be even better - your choice.

Like Tony [Ogdens] I think your problem is in the drivers/settings and not with the software itself, so I don't think a different program is going to help it.

Good fortune,

Brendon

Like Tony [Ogdens] I think your problem is in the drivers/settings and not with the software itself, so I don't think a different program is going to help it.

Good fortune,

Brendon

Thanks, Tony and Brendon. I'll make a "System Restore" point, then try to re-load the sound drivers, then re-load EZ CD-DVD Creator 6. This won't be for a few days, however. But I WILL post back here to share the success or failure of this operation !!!

As to still having the original Dell CD discs, I have so many of these things here and for our work computers as I never throw anything like this away.

Fine, but after reloading the audio drivers check the system. No point in disturbing Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 if you don't have to.

My daughter's boyfriend laoded an updated (2 years newer) audio driver for the SoundMax card. I currently do not have the Roxio EZ 6 software loaded, but I do have Nero 7 on (I had this, put it on when I took Roxio off). So Question is: do I need to take off Nero before re-loading the Roxio, or can those two softwares be happy together?

As Brendon is probably still asleep in the land of the long white sheep stealer, I'll steal his thunder here

Yes - provided you do NOT install Drag to Disc abd InCD - you can't have two packet writing systems on one machine (the rest will co-exist quite happily)

As Brendon is probably still asleep in the land of the long white sheep stealer, I'll steal his thunder here

Yes - provided you do NOT install Drag to Disc abd InCD - you can't have two packet writing systems on one machine (the rest will co-exist quite happily)

Hey, all help is really appreciated, thanks. And I actually DO know what Nero InCD is, so I'm make sure that's not installed; I remember that being something one had to chose or update, as at work I did need to do that.

I've found the drag-to-disc stuff with CD-RW discs not to be robust; and similar with DVD-RW discs that I used to use with my home TV DVD recorder. But with cost of DVD-R discs about 13 cents each (and CD-R even less), I just don't even bother with re-writeables any more.

Update: every time I try to load Roxio Easy CD Creator 6, I then get the #%*&*%#$%^&*%^##*% blue screen of death. It states that something has happened to the file cdr4_xp.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers subdirectory, and when I started in Safe Mode that file was still there, and same KB and date as before. So I then had to restore to the previous configuration using Restore.

So I downloaded and installed Sound Editor Deluxe trial version (can't save a file), and that showed the exact same situation as with previous Roxio: both chaneels with microphone input selcted, but only right channel with line input selected. And, yes, I did try swapping the left and right at the cassette deck. So methinks it's a bad sound card, but the SoundMax seems to be part of the main board. I think I'll borrow a plain old sound card from work and try that. I think I need to disable the original SoundMax function as well. I can load up Nero7 no problem (after restoring to pre-Roxio configuration) and it does seem to work, but Nero7 doesn't seem to have cpability to record LP or cassette analalog signals.

Okay,

If you still want to run this software re-install it and then before you run it, replace the CDR4 module with THIS ONE.

If your onboard sound chip has gone faulty you should disable the onboard chip in the BIOS [to prevent conflicts] and install a stand-alone sound card.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Okay,

If you still want to run this software re-install it and then before you run it, replace the CDR4 module with THIS ONE.

If your onboard sound chip has gone faulty you should disable the onboard chip in the BIOS [to prevent conflicts] and install a stand-alone sound card.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Thanks, I might try that cdr4 file later this week; if not, I'll need to buy some other recording software. In the short run for that one cassette tape, I could always carry in my cassette deck into work, and upload that to digital there at lunch time.

OK, I locate a Sound Blaster Live sound card from a similar-vintage Dell computer. Idisable my integrated SoundMax sound card under set-up, open up Win XP, Control Panel, and no sound card any longer, good. I open my computer up, install the Sound Blaster sound card, then start Win XP. XP finds new hardware, and automatically loads its drivers, good. I plug speakers into it, have sound, good. Then create a System Restore Point.

Next, I load EASy Creator 6, again get the blue screen of death, and cdr4_xp.sys error. So I start up in Safe Mode, run that updated cdr4-xp.sys utility like you posted above, shut down, and start up Windows XP normally, it starts up !!! Good (I think). I try Roxio Sound Editor with line input selected, but no signal plugged in, and it doesn't peg out on the left channel, good (I thought).

However, here's the problem. Now I have no CD-ROM or DVD-writer drives AT ALL, unless I restore to the point before I loaded Roxio. I went into Device Manager, they are listed, but yellow, and XP couldn't load any drivers to make them work. Any suggestions. I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!! I REALLY HATE computers !!!!!!

Cusser,

[i can see why you might want to cuss, and you have my sympathy] Your problem should be easily fixable.

To explain a little, the Windows Operating Systems use filter entries in the registry to connect the CD/DVD drives to the system.

The main filter entry lets Windows see the drive(s) and an extra filter is needed so the Roxio programs can see the drives.

This filter thing that Microsoft uses is a bit fragile, and any small error will make the drives disappear from Windows, as yours have done.

[1] To fix this, you first use the Microsoft solution that GI7OMY's link pointed you to. That fixes the main filter and lets Windows see the drives.

[2] Then you need to repair the Roxio filter so the Roxio programs can see the drives too. To do this, please read THIS TOPIC at post #2 and carry out the reinstall I've detailed there.

That should fix things. It might look complicated, but just do it one step at a time and it should work. We'll be here if you need more help.

Thanks, Brenden and gi7omy. Please check back over the next few days as I will ABSOLUTELY follow up with either success or my continued failure. I will try this, but maybe not tonight (I have to watch last night's "Castle" with Mrs. Cusser).

In case you were wondering, I used a VCR to record that, NOT DVR or the more confusing stuff. Did I say that I hate computers ????

I hate computers !!! OK, I'm through. The first utility (Microsoft link) didn't help at all, installed some Powershell crap, but no CD/DVD drives found at all. So I never went to the 2nd utility that would help Roxio find such drives. So I restored back to previous function before Roxio installation, got my drives back. I noticed that the Roxio directory was still on the C drive, but Roxio didn't work, and I couldn't "remove" it using Control Panel. I then thought maybe I could load Audio Central ONLY, so I tried that. Upon re-starting, there was a message that Roxio was updating the registry, and then I had no CD/DVD drives again. So I screamed $##$$&*%##$$*& and restored again, and intalled Total Recorder, a freebie Sound Recording program, and that seems to work, no conflicts or loss of CD drives. I am wondering why the recording level is lower than I expected, but I need to try one of my own cassette tapes. So I'm done with Roxio Easy 6, and likely done with Roxio forever. Did I already say that I hate computers ???

Castle was good. But I'm not too fond of that actress who was to play "Nikki Heat" in the film, she doesn't do a thing for me....

I'm sorry you found this insurmountable. I've fixed this Microsoft problem many times, and it only takes about 5 minutes. I do it manually, and I'd be happy to talk you through the process if you want but I respect your decision otherwise. It's bad enough having software which isn't performing for you, without a Guru folding his brawny arms and telling you that you have to do this or that. :)

Keep up the Castle, the second half of the season has just started.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived