Music Dvd Creator And File Sizes

sitwi

Question

Hi all,

I have a number of MP3s (a huge number, actually) to put onto one DVD. They total 2.8GB, but when I try and create a music DVD using Roxio Creator 11 Pro, it won't burn the disk as it says the project is 6.9GB in size???

I can handle some additional files to control the menus and so forth, but this is nearly three times the original size. Can anyone offer a solution - am I including some resource-intensive add-on which I don't need?

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

15 answers to this question

Hi all,

I have a number of MP3s (a huge number, actually) to put onto one DVD. They total 2.8GB, but when I try and create a music DVD using Roxio Creator 11 Pro, it won't burn the disk as it says the project is 6.9GB in size???

I can handle some additional files to control the menus and so forth, but this is nearly three times the original size. Can anyone offer a solution - am I including some resource-intensive add-on which I don't need?

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

I assume that you mean a DVD that is made of the mp3's and some photos when you say music DVD. If then then what you are basically is creating a video DVD similar to creating a slideshow movie. As such you have to forgat about file sizes and think in terms of time. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video. So if your project size is about 6.9GB it means that your show is over 60 minutes.

Thanks for such a quick response, and apologies if I wasn't clear.

I selected the Roxio Music Disk Creator within Creator Pro 11. I've included no photos at all, only music, but noticed that it gives each track a default graphical background. Are we saying that it treats those as if they were video? If so, is there any way to turn them off?

Again, I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Thanks for such a quick response, and apologies if I wasn't clear.

I selected the Roxio Music Disk Creator within Creator Pro 11. I've included no photos at all, only music, but noticed that it gives each track a default graphical background. Are we saying that it treats those as if they were video? If so, is there any way to turn them off?

Again, I appreciate your time. Thanks.

I may be a bit too quick with my response above. I have only once createda Music DVd and that was several years ago with a different version of Roxio. I know at that time there was a graphical interface which of course means some sort of video. I am now trying to create a Music DVD project with C2011 to see what happens. I have added about 2.5GB of mp3 files and will see if I can turn that into a music DVD.

You realize of course that a music DVD can only be played on a DVD player or your computer. It cannot be played on CD players.

Sure, I want this specifically to play on a DVD player. I appreciate you looking into this.

Put the disc in your computer and explore it. What do you see? The program is converting the mp3 files to an audio format that will play on a DVD player. That would be less compressed than the mp3 files you are starting with.

Instead of using the Assistant, open and use "Create Music Disc Projects". Select DVD and then select the type of audio you want on that DVD. There are three choices.

post-58-042728400 1293470435.jpg

It's a totally blank disc, so nothing showing.

Unfortunately I had already bypassed the wizard and selected the audio format you suggested.

Does that sound likely, to turn 2.8GB into over 6? I'm convinced that I must be missing something obvious, although I've tried everything you suggest.

It's a totally blank disc, so nothing showing.

Unfortunately I had already bypassed the wizard and selected the audio format you suggested.

Does that sound likely, to turn 2.8GB into over 6? I'm convinced that I must be missing something obvious, although I've tried everything you suggest.

Possibly. Let's go by time. How many hours of music are you tryiung to put on a single layer DVD. 25 is max.

If you arr just copying data to a DVD, that is very different from being able to play the music.

That answers my problem, then... I was not aware that there was a 25 hour maximum. Would that not depend on bitrate?

Anyway, I'm way above 25 hours, so maybe I'm better off creating a data disk after all.

Thanks again for your help.

Actually there are 2 distinct approaches to this: ;)

The Create Music Disc Projects and the Create DVD Music Discs

The one to use depends on your DVD Player!

If your DVD Player cannot play an MP3 disc that is on a DVD then you need to go with Create DVD Music Discs. As pointed out, it will be converted into a DVD Movie.

However, if your player can play an MP3 DVD, then Create Music Disc Projects is what you want:

post-39730-021310500 1293474758.jpg

I have placed 651 mp3 songs into this project totaling about 37 1/2 Hours!!!

On this DVD Player, which is hooked up to my PC, it Plays!

post-39730-020886100 1293474745.jpg

But I tried it on another one in the house and it will not play there…

So if you have DVD RW media, you might want to try one, just keep in mind it will not enjoy widespread compatibility :(

That answers my problem, then... I was not aware that there was a 25 hour maximum. Would that not depend on bitrate?

Anyway, I'm way above 25 hours, so maybe I'm better off creating a data disk after all.

Thanks again for your help.

As sknis said you can only get about 25 hours of mp3 audio on a DVD. I created a Music DVD project like you are doing with about similar amount of mp3 audio data. It gave a "project size" of about 6.3GB and about 50 hours of music time. I removed mp3 files until the project size was down to 4.3 GB and then it fit.

I guess a Music DVD is different from what I had assumed above. It does contain some video for the background and menu but most of the space is taken up by the mp3 files. The graphics parts cannot be turned off.

The Help files do state the limits on a music DVD.

Bingo... exactly what I needed, Jim. Thanks so much.

What Jim shows is a simply a mp3 data DVD which as he says may not play on every DVD player. I have several DVDs like that and they play on only one of 3 DVD players I have.

Use a RW DVD to do a test burn and play on a DVD player. Depending on how you want to pl;ay the disc, you should consider creating a folder system on the DVD.

Thanks all - the confusing thing is that there are other commercial products which appear to do exactly what I want, but since I've already paid for Roxio I'm determined to persist with it for now.

I've tried Jim's solution, which works, but I think to make it work as I want, I'm looking at splitting the files between two DVDs.

Thanks all again for your help.

Thanks all - the confusing thing is that there are other commercial products which appear to do exactly what I want, but since I've already paid for Roxio I'm determined to persist with it for now.

I've tried Jim's solution, which works, but I think to make it work as I want, I'm looking at splitting the files between two DVDs.

Have youconsidered a DL (double layer DVD). Most recent burners and DVD players will play them. I'm not sure about a DL mpg3 disc.

To which commercial products are you referring? I would be interested in such products but I don't see them overcoming the DVD standards.

Perhaps if you explained exactly what you want we might have other solutions.

Archived