• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cd/dvd Writer Not Recognized Anymore

getairfx

Question

i use roxio de 10.1 for burning cd's and dvdfab for movies. a while back i started having problems with roxio burning but thought nothing of it. then my microsoft fix it said there was somthing wrong and i needed to update a few new drivers,one of them being for roxio. update wouldn't take because of a cdr4 problem that couldnt be found. well i figured i would just uninstall roxio and then re-install it with the cd i got with my computer for roxio. now my computer won't recognize my cd/dvd writer. so i can't even re-install my roxio. what the heck is happeneing? my usb ports are not being recognized either now ! anyone else have these problems or a fix for the problem?

6 answers to this question

DVDfab? If you are downloading DRM protected content? That is illegal. If not, then read on.

Is it really Roxio Creator 10.1 DE ? If so, you have an OEM piece of software designed by Dell to be put free on a computer as a teaser (to think you are getting more). All support for that software is provided by Dell. Also there are no updates from Roxio for that software except this one (link). Any other updates have to come from Dell. Go to their webs site and update all the drivers available for your computer and see if they have an update for your software.

What anti-virus/anti-malware are you running. Have you updated it. If not, your computer is rif=ddloed with malware especially when using DVDfab. Have you run any registry fixes? That is often the cause of items starting to fail.

How familiar are you with computers? Have you used Windows Device Manager to remove the failed items and then rebooted to get Windows to reinstall them?

cdr4? Perhaps it is time to repair/reinstall Windows. Did you ever do that? Over time, little things build up and you have to bite the bullett.

PS. Caps (I vs i) do make posts easier to read. Please use them.

Please respond to all questions or we can't really help much more.

ok........I use dvd fab to back up all my moveies ,so if my kid scratches his disney dvds,I won't have to go out and buy new ones. I am not doing anything illegal.i will check out dell for fix's. as for anti-virus I use avg free ware. I did run a registry fix. i am pretty descent with computers and i did use device manager and rebooted.

AS far as re-installing windows? when i bought this computer it was the last one and a display model. I never recieved the cd with windows on it. I bought this thing at best buy(I will never do that again),so how can I re-install windows without the cd?

ok........I use dvd fab to back up all my moveies ,so if my kid scratches his disney dvds,I won't have to go out and buy new ones. I am not doing anything illegal.i will check out dell for fix's. as for anti-virus I use avg free ware. I did run a registry fix. i am pretty descent with computers and i did use device manager and rebooted.

AS far as re-installing windows? when i bought this computer it was the last one and a display model. I never recieved the cd with windows on it. I bought this thing at best buy(I will never do that again),so how can I re-install windows without the cd?

If you are using DVDfab to break the copyright on the DVDs then that is illegal no matter what you think.

Using a "registry fix" screws up more then it fixes.

As Walt said, it is illegal to do what you are doing. Here is text from a 2004 ruling, which drove 321 Studios out of business:

Judge: 321 Studios must stop selling DVD X Copy

Written by Petteri "dRD" Pyyny @ 20 Feb 2004 13:39 User comments (41)

After eight months of waiting, San Fransisco federal judge Susan Illston delivered her ruling on high-profile case where Hollywood studios have sued an American company, 321 Studios, that develops tools that allow breaking the copy protection mechanisms found on DVD movie discs.

Judge ruled against 321 Studios' arguments that DVD rippers, as the copy-protection cracking tools are called, help people to use their legal right to backup movies that they own. She said that the copyright law, namely the DMCA legislation, makes it clearly illegal to sell or distribute tools in the United States that allow breaking technical copy protection mechanisms.

"It is the technology itself at issue, not the uses to which the copyrighted material may be put," she wrote. "Legal downstream use of the copyrighted material by customers is not a defense to the software manufacturer's violation of the provisions (of copyright law)."

The ruled that 321 Studios has to stop selling the software, DVD X Copy, within seven days in the United States. Company has the choice of replacing the product with a similar tool that doesn't include the ripper, the part that allows breaking the copy protection mechanism called CSS.

321 Studios immediately announced that they would ask for an emergency stay from courts and would appeal the ruling as well. Company president, Robert Moore said "We can't just lay down for this. It is too important for the consumer; it is far too important to the evolution of our culture...We think the final battle will be fought at the Supreme Court or at the congressional level."

Obviously, the MPAA praised the ruling stating that the ruling "...sends a clear message that it is essential for corporations to protect copyrighted works while facilitating the enjoyment of entertainment offerings through new digital technologies."

However, it is likely that the ruling doesn't really change anything at all even if 321 Studios don't get the emergency stay they're asking, as there are free tools like XXXX that replace the ripper part of the DVD X Copy software smoothly --

Hello,

This is the forum for "general chat" and not for Roxio problems, so I can't even guess what Roxio software you're having problems with.

Please tell me what Roxio software you're trying to run/reinstall, and we can shift this to the proper forum and fix your problem for you.

Brendon

i use roxio de 10.1 for burning cd's and dvdfab for movies. a while back i started having problems with roxio burning but thought nothing of it. then my microsoft fix it said there was somthing wrong and i needed to update a few new drivers,one of them being for roxio. update wouldn't take because of a cdr4 problem that couldnt be found. well i figured i would just uninstall roxio and then re-install it with the cd i got with my computer for roxio. now my computer won't recognize my cd/dvd writer. so i can't even re-install my roxio. what the heck is happeneing? my usb ports are not being recognized either now ! anyone else have these problems or a fix for the problem?

DVDfab? If you are downloading DRM protected content? That is illegal. If not, then read on.

Is it really Roxio Creator 10.1 DE ? If so, you have an OEM piece of software designed by Dell to be put free on a computer as a teaser (to think you are getting more). All support for that software is provided by Dell. Also there are no updates from Roxio for that software except this one (link). Any other updates have to come from Dell. Go to their webs site and update all the drivers available for your computer and see if they have an update for your software.

What anti-virus/anti-malware are you running. Have you updated it. If not, your computer is rif=ddloed with malware especially when using DVDfab. Have you run any registry fixes? That is often the cause of items starting to fail.

How familiar are you with computers? Have you used Windows Device Manager to remove the failed items and then rebooted to get Windows to reinstall them?

cdr4? Perhaps it is time to repair/reinstall Windows. Did you ever do that? Over time, little things build up and you have to bite the bullett.

PS. Caps (I vs i) do make posts easier to read. Please use them.

Please respond to all questions or we can't really help much more.

Archived