No Disc Burners Are Available

DavidGII

Question

MyDVD doesn't recognize the DVD-R in my DVD-RW Drive. When I'm ready to burn the project, the checkbox for "Burn to Disc" is not made available to me. I can only change the "Disc Label". I can't select the drive or change any speed. They are both blank from the drop-down menu. <_< Even the main program Roxio says "no drive detected," but I see it in "My Computer." :angry:

I've tried lots of different things I've discovered within the forums:

Check to make sure my drive is up-to-date,and it is

Check to make sure DMA is enabled, and it is

Tried different types of writable and re-writable DVDs

Installed the latest PX Engine and rebooted

Uninstalled my DVD drive, reinstalled, and rebooted

Would you help me trying to solve this? Thanks. :)

Toshiba Satellite P305D-S8900

Windows Vista 64-bit

AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00GHz

Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50F ATA

Roxio Creator 2010 Pro

post-79920-053537400 1293780711.jpg

post-79920-078189200 1293780716.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hello David,

In the Windows registry there are two sets of "filters" for CD/DVDs. The main one is set up by Windows and lets Windows Explorer [My Computer] see your optical drives.

The other filter is set up by the Roxio installer and lets the Roxio programs see your optical drives.

If the filters get upset, Windows will automatically reinstall its own filter but not the Roxio one. It seems that is what has happened in your system, so the Roxio programs can't see your drives. To fix it, we need to reinstall what Roxio calls the PX Engine. Here's how to do that:-

-Please go to THIS PAGE and download PX Engine 4.18.16a from the link halfway down the page.

-this should get you a ZIP file called pxengine4_18_16a.zip - please save it somewhere on your hard drive

-UNZIP that file, and dump the contents into your C:\Windows folder. It should be a file called pxengine4_18_16a.exe

-now click the Windows Start button and RUN the following command

pxengine4_18_16a.exe /pxhelponvista and click Enter [you can cut and paste the command from here if it's easier than typing it manually]

-The PX installer box should open. Follow the prompts to install the PX engine, and then restart Windows.

If all has gone well, your Roxio programs should now see your drives, and everything should be copacetic.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Well, that worked like a dream. :) Thanks for the quick response (less than 12 hours) and the correct one. Hopefully someone else will read this and work for them the same way. Thanks again!

Hello David,

In the Windows registry there are two sets of "filters" for CD/DVDs. The main one is set up by Windows and lets Windows Explorer [My Computer] see your optical drives.

The other filter is set up by the Roxio installer and lets the Roxio programs see your optical drives.

If the filters get upset, Windows will automatically reinstall its own filter but not the Roxio one. It seems that is what has happened in your system, so the Roxio programs can't see your drives. To fix it, we need to reinstall what Roxio calls the PX Engine. Here's how to do that:-

-Please go to THIS PAGE and download PX Engine 4.18.16a from the link halfway down the page.

-this should get you a ZIP file called pxengine4_18_16a.zip - please save it somewhere on your hard drive

-UNZIP that file, and dump the contents into your C:\Windows folder. It should be a file called pxengine4_18_16a.exe

-now click the Windows Start button and RUN the following command

pxengine4_18_16a.exe /pxhelponvista and click Enter [you can cut and paste the command from here if it's easier than typing it manually]

-The PX installer box should open. Follow the prompts to install the PX engine, and then restart Windows.

If all has gone well, your Roxio programs should now see your drives, and everything should be copacetic.

Happy New Year,

Brendon

Archived