• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

C++++ Runtime Error

gearhed

Question

I had EMC 10 installed for quite a while and it worked just fine. I tried an auto-updater program for my computer's drivers and it made a mess. I had to do a repair reinstall and afterwards nothing on EMC would work. Everything generated a C+++ runtime error, something caused something to terminate in an unusual way, etc. I did a full uninstallation including the manual deletion of remaining files under programs and Documents and Settings. I followed the tech article on removing everything to the letter, deleting the registry entries and emptying the recycle bin before reinstalling. And yes, I did reboot before I did that. After I thought i had done a clean reinstall I tried to burn some videos taken with a camera to a DVD just like I had dozens of times before using My DVD. Either nothing at all happens when I clicked it or I get various error messages. Mostly, nothing happens. I tried to use My DVD Express and it's more of the same. When it actually does something I get a message saying an mpeg2 codec needs enabled and there's a button to click to enable it. I do, the window goes away. I wait. I wait some more. Nothing. Close and restart the main program and more of the same. Then , for variety i guess, something about Windows Media Player pops up and I do what that says. Then the mpeg2 thing starts to show up again. Fter 20 some repeats of all that the mpeg2 box appeared again. I click enable the codec button again again and then the My DVD window opens for a second, just long enough to make me think everything is fine. But then another box pops up saying "Bad Installation", everything closes and I'm back to square one again wishing the EMC 10 program could feel pain. It seems like it's just an endless cycle of errors or no response. I guess I have to go back through and uninstall everything again, go through all the manual deletions, the registry edits, the service checking, reinstall it all again and do all the updates and hope against hope that it works.

It seems when this program works, it does so very well and I love it. When it screws up it becomes a total frustrating mess and i start to think about digging out one of the less sophisticated but more dependable programs I used to use. I ordered Creator 2011 because i have zero confidence I will ever get EMC 10 to work right again. If anybody else has any ideas of what to try i would appreciate any advice, prayers, snide chuckling, etc. Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Even with the carefull attention to detail you used, sometimes there are things missed.

I have had very good luck with using Revo Uninstaller (free cnet.com download) in the MODERATE Mode to remove all Sonic and Roxio software. I then made sure that I had my computer prepared using these suggestions and then reinstalled. Make sure your anti-virus is OFF and not just paused during the install.

Registration of the mpg2 codec was an issue in EMC 9 (or 8) but should not be a factor here.

Let us know how it turns out for you and I hope you have a Happier New Year ! :)

I do a lot of PC gaming and am trying to milk as much oomph out of my old machine as I can get. I have always been very good about staying current which is what led to me trying the autoupdater software which trashed my machine. I'm always current with drivers, updates, patches, etc. About the only thing on the recommended to do list I didn't do was the disabling services in msconfig. I did read elsewhere here that it may be prudent to check the services from Administrative Tools to make sure nothing is remaining and running under Roxio or Sonic. I have used EMC since EMC 6 and traces of them were still around.

I'm going to try to find the uninstaller program you mentioned and give it another shot before i get the Creator 2011 program. I'll report back what happens.

Also, I'm not sure how/why my entire email address got put in as my ID. When I got to the forum part I just clicked log in to see what it would do. It used my Roxio sign in which required an entire email address and apparently that's where it came from. It also used my Roxio sign in password, but when I go to change the user ID and remove the at symbol and comcast stuff, it says my password is incorrect and it's the only password associated with Roxio. I tried multiple times and it just is not going to let me change it so I guess I will be a SPAM target.

I do a lot of PC gaming and am trying to milk as much oomph out of my old machine as I can get. I have always been very good about staying current which is what led to me trying the autoupdater software which trashed my machine. I'm always current with drivers, updates, patches, etc. About the only thing on the recommended to do list I didn't do was the disabling services in msconfig. I did read elsewhere here that it may be prudent to check the services from Administrative Tools to make sure nothing is remaining and running under Roxio or Sonic. I have used EMC since EMC 6 and traces of them were still around.

I'm going to try to find the uninstaller program you mentioned and give it another shot before i get the Creator 2011 program. I'll report back what happens.

Also, I'm not sure how/why my entire email address got put in as my ID. When I got to the forum part I just clicked log in to see what it would do. It used my Roxio sign in which required an entire email address and apparently that's where it came from. It also used my Roxio sign in password, but when I go to change the user ID and remove the at symbol and comcast stuff, it says my password is incorrect and it's the only password associated with Roxio. I tried multiple times and it just is not going to let me change it so I guess I will be a SPAM target.

You say "you have a old machine" so if you decide to get 2011, make sure you that you exceed the minimum requirements.

If you want to change your display name go into My Settings (top left) >Settings>Change Display Name then follow the directions on the page that opens.

You say "you have a old machine" so if you decide to get 2011, make sure you that you exceed the minimum requirements.

If you want to change your display name go into My Settings (top left) >Settings>Change Display Name then follow the directions on the page that opens.

As I said I had run EMC 10 on this same machine with perfect results for over a year and have made dozens of DVDs from camera videos as well as making DVDs from TiVo stuff. It was installed long enough ago that I upgraded to EMC 10 from 9 as soon as 10 was out and did so every year going back a ways. It's an old Dell Dimension 8200 but I upgraded the processor from the 2 Ghz P4 to the 2.33 Ghz P4. It has 2 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro video card with 512 MB of memory. It has other component enhancements as well but aren't as pertinent to what you were suggesting. It still honks along quite nicely but hasn't got what it takes to run newer games. Soon to be here PC will have Intel i7 980 series 6 core processor, 12 GB RAM, dual eVGA geForce 580 fermi video cards each with 1536 MB memory and a host of other goodies so if Creator 2011 won't run on the Dell, it will on the new beast I am sure.

So, the results of my second install after using the removal tool and double checking the registry and other entries, verifying that nothing was running under services, emptying the recycle bin, disabling all start-up services, rebooting and shutting off my anti virus before attempting a clean install produced the following results:

Trying to launch My DVD generates the following. Don't take the syntax as literal because I may not have all the capitalization correct, but the message is correct. I get a "C+++ Runtime error" that says "c:\program files\roxio\videoui 10\videowave10.exe"

Below that line is "R6025" and below that is "Pure Virtual Function Call" Nothing else opens or happens other than the main EMC10 window remains.

Trying to launch My DVD Express like before brings up the window but when I click the "Sdd movies" button I get the Windows Error message box that says "RoxWizardLauncher Module encountered an error and needs to close" After acknowledging the error the My DVD Express window closes and the main Roxio EMC 10 window remains.

I have not downloaded any of the stuff from the Roxio Download site. This is a straight from the disc install.

On the user name change thing- as I already said, I did try multiple times to change my user name exactly as outlined above. It still tells me that my password is incorrect and bounces me back. I say this with all humility and politeness, but I am not exactly a computer novice and I know how to change a password and user ID. I don't understand how I can log in with a user name and password and then have it tell me the same password I logged in with to get to the change section isn't the right one. I also use a password manager program so I can both manually and automatically have the info entered so me getting it wrong or misspelling it are fairly remote.

Perhaps more carefully reading of the replies is in order. There is a big difference between screen name and user name. Unfortunately, that raises the question about how carefully you read the other responses and performed the suggested procedures. :unsure:

Perhaps you did it all correctly and you have a different problem but it is hard to diagnose it. The Revo Uninstaller has worked for about 99+% of those who tried it.

post-58-014341100 1293970137.jpg

Perhaps more carefully reading of the replies is in order. There is a big difference between screen name and user name. Unfortunately, that raises the question about how carefully you read the other responses and performed the suggested procedures. :unsure:

Perhaps you did it all correctly and you have a different problem but it is hard to diagnose it. The Revo Uninstaller has worked for about 99+% of those who tried it.

Yes, and I also occasionally wear mismatched socks! I did get the PW change screen exactly as you posted. I put something different in for the user name, my email name sans the @ and the comcast extension, I enter the only password I have associated with this site and the same password I am logged in with and it returns an error saying m password is incorrect. I don't know how much clearer I can state it!

If you have such a huge concern about my reading comprehension skills, then please don't trouble yourself with trying to help me. I have been nothing but polite and respectful. Maybe you are having a bad day or something but I don't see where your snide and sarcastic remarks are helpful. I don't give a #$^@ about changing my user name to be truthful. I am trying to get my program to work.

Even with the carefull attention to detail you used, sometimes there are things missed.

I have had very good luck with using Revo Uninstaller (free cnet.com download) in the MODERATE Mode to remove all Sonic and Roxio software. I then made sure that I had my computer prepared using these suggestions and then reinstalled. Make sure your anti-virus is OFF and not just paused during the install.

Registration of the mpg2 codec was an issue in EMC 9 (or 8) but should not be a factor here.

Let us know how it turns out for you and I hope you have a Happier New Year ! :)

Archived