• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creation And Visibility Of Track Names

JG.....

Question

Some weeks ago, I transcribed an analogue audio tape to digital WAV (16-bit) form using Audacity 1.3.12 (Beta) to produce a series of 25 WAV tracks.

As the source did not contain any ID numbers (such as one would find on a commercially produced CD), or text containing track names, I edited the Audacity output to add track labels that contained the actual track name. The track names that I entered were manually typed by me, including corrections to the illiteracies in the original titles, and nothing has subsequently tried to interfere with my typed entries. I then 'exported' the project file as a set of 'WAV' tracks. These created tracks all containing my alpha-numeric track names prefixed 'nn-' where 'nn' is the track number commencing at 01 and increasing serially for each additional track. I did also go through the motions in Audacity of generating a CD-text file of the track name data, but haven't found where this file now resides, or what it actually looks like.

Everything was more or less as expected up to this point.

Then I ran Roxio Easy Media Creator 2010 using the generated 'WAV' files to produce a physical audio CD, and that it did apparently without any problems. When I examined the output CD in MS Explorer (i.e. a simple file manager) I see the CD tracks named Tracknn.cda etc., where 'nn' is the track number commencing from '01' and incrementing serially. Problem - NO track names are shewing!

I've been tearing my hair out since then, trying to get the process to get track names to appear within Explorer, reading-up all about CD-text formats in the various 'Rainbow' books and so on, but without any success.

I've just done another tape transcription, but on completion the output CD refused to play in PowerDVD for some as yet unkown reason (I'm not raising this as an issue,but mention it just as a reason for why I went on to use a different programme; however, there could be some significance regarding CD type), so I looked for another Audio player, and found Sony Sonic Stage version 4.3.01.14050 (circa 2007). To my astonishment, all the track names are now displayed in that - just as I typed them. I mention the latter, because I know that both the Roxio and Sony products can connect to Gracenote for retrieving track names; however, since my own unique entries are appearing as titles, there cannot have been any manipulation using Gracenote, because I've done nothing to knowingly upload my names to Gracenote or any similar database. Conclusion - the track names that I generated must be somewhere on the CD!!!

Can anyone confirm my suspicion, and suggest how I can get my track namings to appear in MS Explorer and other file managers? How can I get the disk name to be be accepted by the disc burning process and appear in Explorer etc.? Is there a process for getting my transcribed material examined in musical form to be identified as a copyrighted track against a database such as Grace Note, and thereby retrieve an identifying code for the source product - and hence enable the track names to be retrieved automatically thus obviating the need for manual entry?

11 answers to this question

In the link below they are using C2009 it will be similar in C2010..

http://forums.suppor...post__p__278662

If I understood the OPs post correctly, he is complaining that he cannot see the tracks labelled with the text he used, ie. he expects to see his text when looking at the CD using Windows Explorer instead of the generic track1.cda, trcak2.cda

If the OP reads the topic Cdanteek pointed him towards, and goes to post #2 he will see a paragraph which starts "To check for CD-Text . . . "

Reading that, he will see how to find and display his text.

Many thanks to all that replied.

Following the directions, I can now see that my first problem was that the album details and track names are held in the Lead-in Area of the extendend version of the Red Book Audio CD specifications, rather than in the normal region holding the file names, and I understand that not all CD writers and CD write software will support this. Unfortunately, it would appear that Roxio have taken a leaf out of Microsoft's book and "simplified" the Easy Media Creator's user interface to the degree where a cretin may be encouraged to use the basics of the programme - but an advanced user will have dificulty finding the features that he requires!

However, I have yet to see how to use East Media Creator to get "Gracenote" etc. to use the music's characterisics to supply the album ID and the track name data - as apparently it is able.

The Goldhawk CDRWIN programme (that includes CD-text support) as referred to in some of the related information text, seems to have a bit of a problem, because in one place it is stated that the programme is supported in Windows 98 through to XP AND that it requires an ASPI layer to be present, yet there seems to be a download offered that covers usage under Vista - but I know from hard experience that Vista and 7 do not support the ASPI layer fully, and that Adaptec have withdrawn support for ASPI for all platforms - so CDRWIN would appear to be dead in the water! Or does CDRWIN rely on the fact that despite no longer being supported, ASPI transplanted from XP to Vista does still run with a limited number of hard disk devices (but no scanners) - and possibly includes a limited number of CD drives as well?

However, I have yet to see how to use East Media Creator to get "Gracenote" etc. to use the music's characterisics to supply the album ID and the track name data - as apparently it is able.

You are correct,it is able to look up the info.

The only thing is that the online databases that are used cannot recognize compilation discs or anything but a commercial cd.There is a unique id that is created that the databases use to look up the info.

Re: Gracenotes

Try this to see if the database opens. Remember to check the little box for each of the music files where you want to embed/replace the tag that is already there.

PS: There is a lot of good information in the Learning Center at the bottom of the Home page (unless you turned it off)>

BTW, In an earlier post, you said

"However, I have yet to see how to use
East Media Creator
to get "Gracenote" etc. to use the music's characteristics to supply the album ID and the track name data - as apparently it is able."

You posted in Creator 2010. Which do you have Creator 2010 or Easy Media Creator 10 or Creator 10.X (with a two letter designation)? There are major differences.

Re: Gracenotes

Try this to see if the database opens. Remember to check the little box for each of the music files where you want to embed/replace the tag that is already there.

PS: There is a lot of good information in the Learning Center at the bottom of the Home page (unless you turned it off)>

BTW, In an earlier post, you said

"However, I have yet to see how to use
East Media Creator
to get "Gracenote" etc. to use the music's characteristics to supply the album ID and the track name data - as apparently it is able."

You posted in Creator 2010. Which do you have Creator 2010 or Easy Media Creator 10 or Creator 10.X (with a two letter designation)? There are major differences.

Hello sknis

I'm currently using Creator 10 Pro version 1.2.193 SP2.1 5.0.0.0.

I thought that this was supposed to be the most advanced version, but it appears not to have the label-maker routines - but I believe that it's got some other associated packages that I haven't examined yet. I have a whole variety of earlier versions not currently loaded.

John

Hello sknis

I thought that this was supposed to be the most advanced version, but it appears not to have the label-maker routines - but I believe that it's got some other associated packages that I haven't examined yet. I have a whole variety of earlier versions not currently loaded.

John

Please Creator 2010 Pro. There are too many other versions around that use the "10" identifier. Someone at Roxio thought that it would be a good idea to confuse people ! :P

Hello sknis

John

Thanks Tbrewst. Seems that the feature was there all the time - just buried away in a place where I wasn't expecting to find it. I'd used Audacity to digitise my analogue data; I was using Creator essentially just to burn the disk, so I hadn't explored the bits for actually performing the conversion from scratch. There's even a batch routine there that will run with my existing set of WAV files! However, Gracenote doesn't seem to identify my particular source Tape; out of 25 tracks, 10 not identified at all, but 15 identified against some other material - probably quite correctly, as the tape is nothing special, just a rehash of older material; not an entirely fair test, but it did identify the song names of the 15 pieces correctly. When I transferred my CD collection to iTunes, Grace note managed to find only two of my Mandarin albums in the database, so it loks as if the database is far from being complete yet.

I'd been poking around in the standard help files for assistance with the track names, but there's seemingly no mention of the subject.

Thanks again for your help.

John

I just ripped my collection on to a hard drive and out of around 1500 CD's I'd say maybe 50 weren't found or identified incorrectly.

Most of those were either fairly obscure bands or some kind of a compilation album like Hits of the &0's or some such thing.

It does have it's flaws but you just need to watch what's going on to make sure things don't get misidentified.

Mandarin huh.Hadn't seen that one for a while.

Some weeks ago, I transcribed an analogue audio tape to digital WAV (16-bit) form using Audacity 1.3.12 (Beta) to produce a series of 25 WAV tracks.

As the source did not contain any ID numbers (such as one would find on a commercially produced CD), or text containing track names, I edited the Audacity output to add track labels that contained the actual track name. The track names that I entered were manually typed by me, including corrections to the illiteracies in the original titles, and nothing has subsequently tried to interfere with my typed entries. I then 'exported' the project file as a set of 'WAV' tracks. These created tracks all containing my alpha-numeric track names prefixed 'nn-' where 'nn' is the track number commencing at 01 and increasing serially for each additional track. I did also go through the motions in Audacity of generating a CD-text file of the track name data, but haven't found where this file now resides, or what it actually looks like.

Everything was more or less as expected up to this point.

Then I ran Roxio Easy Media Creator 2010 using the generated 'WAV' files to produce a physical audio CD, and that it did apparently without any problems. When I examined the output CD in MS Explorer (i.e. a simple file manager) I see the CD tracks named Tracknn.cda etc., where 'nn' is the track number commencing from '01' and incrementing serially. Problem - NO track names are shewing!

I've been tearing my hair out since then, trying to get the process to get track names to appear within Explorer, reading-up all about CD-text formats in the various 'Rainbow' books and so on, but without any success.

I've just done another tape transcription, but on completion the output CD refused to play in PowerDVD for some as yet unkown reason (I'm not raising this as an issue,but mention it just as a reason for why I went on to use a different programme; however, there could be some significance regarding CD type), so I looked for another Audio player, and found Sony Sonic Stage version 4.3.01.14050 (circa 2007). To my astonishment, all the track names are now displayed in that - just as I typed them. I mention the latter, because I know that both the Roxio and Sony products can connect to Gracenote for retrieving track names; however, since my own unique entries are appearing as titles, there cannot have been any manipulation using Gracenote, because I've done nothing to knowingly upload my names to Gracenote or any similar database. Conclusion - the track names that I generated must be somewhere on the CD!!!

Can anyone confirm my suspicion, and suggest how I can get my track namings to appear in MS Explorer and other file managers? How can I get the disk name to be be accepted by the disc burning process and appear in Explorer etc.? Is there a process for getting my transcribed material examined in musical form to be identified as a copyrighted track against a database such as Grace Note, and thereby retrieve an identifying code for the source product - and hence enable the track names to be retrieved automatically thus obviating the need for manual entry?

"Tracknn.cda" is what you will always get when you create an audio CD - it is the standard. Look at any commercial CD with Explorer and the "tracks" are all listed that way.

Archived