• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Movie

jmandres

Question

My Roxio MyDVD 10 project is all set up and ready to burn to disc. There are no errors in the project. My disc size is a standard 4.7GB. The project size is about 4.3GB, "High Quality".

When one opens the "Burn Project" prompt, there are three fields to choose from: 1- Burn To Disc, 2- Save Disc Image File, 3- Create Folder Set.

The "Burn To Disc" section recognizes the actual disc size and the project size. No apparent problems there.

The "Save Disc Image File" section features a drop-down menu wherein you can choose your target media; -R, +R, -R DL, etc... The drop-down menu has always worked until now. It is grayed out with -R DL stuck as the target media. Even if I do not select the "Save Disc Image File" box, the project seems to only want to burn as a Dual-Layer disc sized project. It runs through the entire encoding and then errors out at the end because the +R disc is too small for the project. Before you ask, I have tried it as "Fit To Disc" as well, not just "High Quality"...

As a test, I let it run last night to create an image file without burning a disc, and sure enough, there on my desktop was a 7.4GB image file. I CAN burn DL, but I don't want to for this project.

Why is my "target media" option grayed out? Why is MyDVD not truly recognizing the size of the dvd in my disc drive?

17 answers to this question

My Roxio MyDVD 10 project is all set up and ready to burn to disc. There are no errors in the project. My disc size is a standard 4.7GB. The project size is about 4.3GB, "High Quality".

When one opens the "Burn Project" prompt, there are three fields to choose from: 1- Burn To Disc, 2- Save Disc Image File, 3- Create Folder Set.

The "Burn To Disc" section recognizes the actual disc size and the project size. No apparent problems there.

The "Save Disc Image File" section features a drop-down menu wherein you can choose your target media; -R, +R, -R DL, etc... The drop-down menu has always worked until now. It is grayed out with -R DL stuck as the target media. Even if I do not select the "Save Disc Image File" box, the project seems to only want to burn as a Dual-Layer disc sized project. It runs through the entire encoding and then errors out at the end because the +R disc is too small for the project. Before you ask, I have tried it as "Fit To Disc" as well, not just "High Quality"...

As a test, I let it run last night to create an image file without burning a disc, and sure enough, there on my desktop was a 7.4GB image file. I CAN burn DL, but I don't want to for this project.

Why is my "target media" option grayed out? Why is MyDVD not truly recognizing the size of the dvd in my disc drive?

What program are you using? You are posting in the Roxio Creator 2010 forum but state you are using Roxio myDVD 10. Those are 2 different versions and a couple of years apart.

Thank you for responding, I'm using Roxio Creator 2010.

As Jim has stated file size is a pretty useless measure when creating DVDs. Timelength of the project matters. A standard 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of video using the Best Quality (HQ) setting. If longer then the video has to be compressed and you lose quality. The Fit-to-disc setting is about the worst selection since it seems to corrupt any menus you use.

So can you tell us what is the timelength of your project?

As Jim has stated file size is a pretty useless measure when creating DVDs. Timelength of the project matters. A standard 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of video using the Best Quality (HQ) setting. If longer then the video has to be compressed and you lose quality. The Fit-to-disc setting is about the worst selection since it seems to corrupt any menus you use.

So can you tell us what is the timelength of your project?

Movie Size: 4,631.1 MB with 68.9 MB free

Setting: Fit to Disc

Read a little more closely. We ask specific questions for a reason ;)

In MyDVD, Fit-to-Disc is about the worst choice you can make :o

TIME is what matters! This is what a DVD can really hold:

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

Read a little more closely. We ask specific questions for a reason ;)

In MyDVD, Fit-to-Disc is about the worst choice you can make :o

TIME is what matters! This is what a DVD can really hold:

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

This is the size disc I'm using:

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

I still don't understand why a few days ago under Burn Project the Target Media stopped functioning? I can still burn data or music CDs, but not DVDs. When I do try to burn a movie it immediately goes to project Complete. I thought deleting it from my computer and reloading the software that would fix the problem, but it didn't. Your help is much appreciated.

This is the size disc I'm using:

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7Gb:

I still don't understand why a few days ago under Burn Project the Target Media stopped functioning? I can still burn data or music CDs, but not DVDs. When I do try to burn a movie it immediately goes to project Complete. I thought deleting it from my computer and reloading the software that would fix the problem, but it didn't. Your help is much appreciated.

We are not getting anywhere here. Nobody is going to help you if you don't answer questions that are asked.

We are not getting anywhere here. Nobody is going to help you if you don't answer questions that are asked.

I've answered your question(s) to the best of my ability. Why can't you answer my question:

I've given you the size of the disc I'm using, plus the size of the movie I've trying to burn.

Plus, why the attitude? I'm just trying to get some help about your product. Maybe I need to be speaking to a different individual with more patience.

I've answered your question(s) to the best of my ability. Why can't you answer my question:

I've given you the size of the disc I'm using, plus the size of the movie I've trying to burn.

Plus, why the attitude? I'm just trying to get some help about your product. Maybe I need to be speaking to a different individual with more patience.

Jim and I asked a simple question: How long in time is the video? We don't care about file sizes, they mean nothing.

BTW, it is noy my product. This is not Roxio support but just a forum for users helping each other

Time Length of Video: 01:44:58

Now, compare that 1:44 with the chart I posted in Post #8.

Unless you are willing to set it for LP and accept the reduced quality, it will never fit on a 4.7 GB disc.

Try that, set it to LP and burn to File or Folder. It should come out around 4.3 GB or smaller.

Now, compare that 1:44 with the chart I posted in Post #8.

Unless you are willing to set it for LP and accept the reduced quality, it will never fit on a 4.7 GB disc.

Try that, set it to LP and burn to File or Folder. It should come out around 4.3 GB or smaller.

Tried it, but it didn't help, still not able to burn.

Can you maybe answer the following question:

Thanks.

Throw a burned DVD into your drive and under Roxio Home app, Tools - Get Disc Info.

What does it say.

It is possible for the DVD Laser to fail whereas the CD Laser in burning brightly :D

Also it is very important to convay the Error Message text! "didn't help" is about as useful as "car don't start" :lol:

Do you have any DVD RW's? If so, slap a couple photos into a new project and burn it.

Tried it, but it didn't help, still not able to burn.

Can you maybe answer the following question:

Thanks.

As far as I know "Target Media" only applies when you are trying to create an iso file for a DL DVD. I have never worried about it since I never create DL DVDs.

What do your "delete from your computer"? What software do you reload?

Could you list step-by-step the procedure you are following to burn a DVD (whether to disc, image or folder set)

What disc size setting do you use when you set the quality?

Edited by myguggi