• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

16:9 On Disc Is Captured As 14:9?

joanieliz

Question

Hi,

As I was having trouble capturing my "old" camcorder mini DVs into Roxio Creator 2011, I transferred the footage onto a DVD using the DVD recorder attached to our widescreen TV. The footage played back 16:9 in widescreen on the TV ok.

When I tried importing it from the disk using Roxio "capture", it came out as 14:9, so the footage was squished. I cant fathom out why that is. I imported the film into Videowave ticking widescreen in new production but to no avail.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Joanie

My computer is :-

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor - Intel® Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 64 bit

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 230,

Disc drive - hp BD B DH8E2L

13 answers to this question

Thanks for your response.

It plays squished in Windows Explorer too!! I dont seem to be able to save the film in any other way onto the computer, as it just plays. I tried it in Windows Media player and it comes out squished. Wierd. It is clearly widescreen on the disk and it plays widescreen on the TV. If I go to "my computer" and click on the drive, it plays squished, there doesnt seem to be a way to save it.

Maybe it is one of those unanswerable questions. I just have 5 tapes left and its my fault that I dithered over transferring them before our XP computer expired!

Joanie

Sorry Joanie, I misread your mini DV as mini DVD and so obviously you cannot use Windows Explorer to transfer the video from the tape to your Hard Drive.

Could you explain exactly how you are getting the video from the mini DVD tape to your hard drive? I assume you are using a firewire connection.

Sorry Joanie, I misread your mini DV as mini DVD and so obviously you cannot use Windows Explorer to transfer the video from the tape to your Hard Drive.

Could you explain exactly how you are getting the video from the mini DVD tape to your hard drive? I assume you are using a firewire connection.

Please see my first post,

I transferred the mini DV tape from the camcorder (as I could not get my camcorder to be recognised by Roxio) to a disk using the video/DVD recorder attached to our TV. So I have my little film on a disk which plays as widescreen quite happily on the TV. When I put it into Roxio using capture, it squished from 19;9 to 14:9 so everyone is squished. I tried what Jim suggested, importing it into Videowave rather than using capture, I clicked fill screen, as he suggested, and it then appeared to be widescreen. Great I thought, however, I then realised as it played, that it remains squished, just bigger squished, with the top and bottom of it missing. oh dear.

My old camcorder is a Sony (I was given a panasonic memory card camcorder for my 60th, much easier) Sony has iLink, so I had to buy a cable to attach the iLink to the firewire cable (never buy Sony) and it was always been a little temperamental, hit and miss, even with XP. Roxio 2011 and this Sony camcorder did not see eye to eye at all, hence my effort at getting the footage another way.

Thanks for trying, Joanie

First of all, the DVD Player is the one that makes it look right... The DVD files themselves are a little 'squished'. This is pretty common in the Tape DVD Camcorders. Also, many did not shoot in true 16:9 :o

Thanks for trying VW's built in method of handling odd ball files.

Plan B goes like this.

VW - New 16:9 Project.

Add a Color Panel to the Video Track (Timeline View)

You know about how long the movie is, so stretch the color panel to that length or more.

Add the video onto the Overlay Track.

Move it to the left edge then use the 'grab handle' on the right side to stretch it to the right edge or at least enough to remove the squished effect.

Adjust the length of the color panel to match and you should be good to go!

You can either Export As from VW into a video file or go directly to DVD, through MyDVD.

It is always a good idea to have a DVD RW or 2 on hand to test with ;)

Covered a lot of ground with this solution, if you have trouble understanding, don't hesitate to ask, we can include some pictures of these things.

Thank you lads,

Jim, I followed your instructions today and it works lovely. I usually insert a colour panel for pics, but when I inserted a photo between clips, the coloured layer serves that purpose. All is now in proportion, no more squishing!!!

Thankyou to,o Gary, I have printed your instructions off with clear visual instructions so will give that a go too. It will not be an issue for long as I got a new memory card camcorder and now use that. I should have imported the tapes before our XP PC gave up the ghost!! Once they are done that will be that.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

oh, and happy new year!!

Joanie :)

Hi,

As I was having trouble capturing my "old" camcorder mini DVs into Roxio Creator 2011, I transferred the footage onto a DVD using the DVD recorder attached to our widescreen TV. The footage played back 16:9 in widescreen on the TV ok.

When I tried importing it from the disk using Roxio "capture", it came out as 14:9, so the footage was squished. I cant fathom out why that is. I imported the film into Videowave ticking widescreen in new production but to no avail.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Joanie

My computer is :-

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 64 bit

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 230,

Disc drive - hp BD B DH8E2L

You do not need to capture video on DVDs. Simply copy it to your Hard Drive using Windows Explorer.

Ignore my response, just saw that you are using miniDV and not mini DVD

You do not need to capture video on DVDs. Simply copy it to your Hard Drive using Windows Explorer.

Thanks for your response.

It plays squished in Windows Explorer too!! I dont seem to be able to save the film in any other way onto the computer, as it just plays. I tried it in Windows Media player and it comes out squished. Wierd. It is clearly widescreen on the disk and it plays widescreen on the TV. If I go to "my computer" and click on the drive, it plays squished, there doesnt seem to be a way to save it.

Maybe it is one of those unanswerable questions. I just have 5 tapes left and its my fault that I dithered over transferring them before our XP computer expired!

Joanie

Archived