Hybrid Data Cd Using Udf Instead Of Iso9660

EKDave

Question

5 answers to this question

I can't think of a reason why the client would want UDF over ISO 9660, though. Are there filenames over 64 characters (one possibility)? There won't be files > 2 GB on a CD, so that won't be a reason.

Perhaps you are aware of the following, but... Could it be that the reason for wanting change is that they see strict ISO 9660 filenames (MYDOCUME.EXT (MS-DOS style)) for ISO reading, instead of longer filenames with mixed case and extended characters? If so, that could be solved by setting [select ISO] > Settings tab > Naming: "Joliet (MS-DOS + Windows)".

Thanks. I don't know specifically why they asked me to consider this; I suspect it was more about matching some work done on another part of the system. Thanks for taking the time with such a thorough reply.

Toast differentiates between "Mac & PC" (all files visible to both platforms) and "Custom Hybrid" (reveals certain files when the data disc is used on a Mac, and certain other files when it is used on a PC). We use Custom Hybrid, and the question I have been asked is "can you make the CD a UDF rather than a ISO9660 and still maintain the HFS+ partition?" I think the answer is no, but I am not certain of that conclusion; that was the reason for my post.

Perhaps I was not clear that this is a Data CD, not a DVD.

Thanks for your attention.

Toast differentiates between "Mac & PC" (all files visible to both platforms) and "Custom Hybrid" (reveals certain files when the data disc is used on a Mac, and certain other files when it is used on a PC). We use Custom Hybrid, and the question I have been asked is "can you make the CD a UDF rather than a ISO9660 and still maintain the HFS+ partition?" I think the answer is no, but I am not certain of that conclusion; that was the reason for my post.

Thanks for your attention.

You are correct that the answer is no.

That part was clear smile.gif

We use Custom Hybrid...

Ah, okay, now I get it.

the question I have been asked is "can you make the CD a UDF rather than a ISO9660 and still maintain the HFS+ partition?" I think the answer is no, but I am not certain of that conclusion; that was the reason for my post.

The user interface of Toast doesn't provide a way of selecting such a custom hybrid. But in theory it should be possible to construct such.

I can't think of a reason why the client would want UDF over ISO 9660, though. Are there filenames over 64 characters (one possibility)? There won't be files > 2 GB on a CD, so that won't be a reason.

Perhaps you are aware of the following, but... Could it be that the reason for wanting change is that they see strict ISO 9660 filenames (MYDOCUME.EXT (MS-DOS style)) for ISO reading, instead of longer filenames with mixed case and extended characters? If so, that could be solved by setting [select ISO] > Settings tab > Naming: "Joliet (MS-DOS + Windows)".

Archived