• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Dvd

outerbank

Question

Here's the problem. A glitch occurs in the audio track at the same point during playback after burning three DVDs. The slide show opens with two panels containing text. The third panel begins the digital images. A slow dissolve transition is used to transition from one panel/image to the next. The duration of the slide show is matched to the duration of the audio track. The length of the audio track nearly matches the duration of the slide show. That is, the duration of the slide show without audio is 33:35. The duration of the audio track is 33:56. The glitch occurs each time as the first digital image (3rd panel) transitions to the second digital image (4th panel). The description of the glitch in the audio track is essentially a break in the sound.

Almost all of the digital images were dragged from one digital file to the storyline panels, except for the 1st digital image (3rd panel). After a majority of the slide show was completed, it was decided to use a digital image from another year for continuity purposes. Since this image came from a different file, could this be the cause of the glitch because the image transition (slow dissolve) is not as smooth as with the subsequent transitions in the slide show? The audio track when played in "Sound Editor" does not exhibit this glitch.

Finally, does it make a difference when the audio track and/or transition theme is added to the production? That is, should one be added before the other? I normally add the transition theme before adding the audio track because of matching duration.

I experienced similar sound problems, but not identical, with a previously completed slide show. The sound glitches appeared at different positions. It was assumed that it was disc malfuntions. After three burning attempts, the glitches disappeared on the final DVD burn. In this case, since the glitch occurs at the same point each time, I'm not sure the DVD discs can be blamed.

16 answers to this question

One way to help isolate the problem is to write your project to a .ISO image file on your HD, and play that. If you still get the same glitch, then you can assume it's an encoding issue. If it doesn't happen on the .ISO file, at that point, you can actually burn the .ISO image to DVD, and see if that has solved the problem.

When you go to burn the project, instead of selecting your DVD drive as the destination, select the .ISO image option, and point to someplace on your HD.

Let us know how you make out.

Here's the problem. A glitch occurs in the audio track at the same point during playback after burning three DVDs. The slide show opens with two panels containing text. The third panel begins the digital images. A slow dissolve transition is used to transition from one panel/image to the next. The duration of the slide show is matched to the duration of the audio track. The length of the audio track nearly matches the duration of the slide show. That is, the duration of the slide show without audio is 33:35. The duration of the audio track is 33:56. The glitch occurs each time as the first digital image (3rd panel) transitions to the second digital image (4th panel). The description of the glitch in the audio track is essentially a break in the sound.

Almost all of the digital images were dragged from one digital file to the storyline panels, except for the 1st digital image (3rd panel). After a majority of the slide show was completed, it was decided to use a digital image from another year for continuity purposes. Since this image came from a different file, could this be the cause of the glitch because the image transition (slow dissolve) is not as smooth as with the subsequent transitions in the slide show? The audio track when played in "Sound Editor" does not exhibit this glitch.

Finally, does it make a difference when the audio track and/or transition theme is added to the production? That is, should one be added before the other? I normally add the transition theme before adding the audio track because of matching duration.

I experienced similar sound problems, but not identical, with a previously completed slide show. The sound glitches appeared at different positions. It was assumed that it was disc malfuntions. After three burning attempts, the glitches disappeared on the final DVD burn. In this case, since the glitch occurs at the same point each time, I'm not sure the DVD discs can be blamed.

If you are still having problems after trying what Fave suggested , here are a few other things to try

You state the glitch happens at the same point, the transition from panel 3 to panel 4.

What happens if you leave out the transition or use another transition? Change the images in panel 3 and/or 4? You could use an image that has no problem?

What are the duration times of panel 3, the transition and panel 4?

Are you using the same transition time during the whole show?

I hope you are using some RW DVDs for testing!

Edited by myguggi

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Had other tasks to do before I could get back to the project.

Here's the windup of what has transpired. As described previously, the sound glitch occurs at identically the same point during playback (point number 12 on the DVD player counter). Here's the kicker. I played the DVD on my wife's Dell laptop computer and it played without any sound glitch. I also played the burned DVD on the desktop computer used to create the project, using Roxio's media player. No problem with sound. So then I wondered about my DVD player (it's a Denon). Went to my other DVD player (it's a Toshiba) and played the DVD. Same glitch at the same point in time. Now I wonder if the problem is with the burner on my desktop computer. Although this doesn't explain why the DVD played okay on the laptop and desktop computers.

Addressing the suggestions posed in the responses to my problem; I did burn a iso image file on the HD. Previewed it prior to burning to DVD. It played without incident. Also changed transitions. Did not solve problem. Then deleted the 3rd image panel. Still no resolution to sound problem.

I've pretty much given up. I guess for some reason my two DVD players object to something on this DVD project. It's odd because I just completed a project not more than a week or so ago. While the first burn did produce a sound glitch, but at a different point during playback, it was eventually eliminated after going back, removing transitions and sound track, and then adding them back. So I'm not sure this is what resolved the problem. Have one more slide show project to complete. Hopefully, this last project won't be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Had other tasks to do before I could get back to the project.

Here's the windup of what has transpired. As described previously, the sound glitch occurs at identically the same point during playback (point number 12 on the DVD player counter). Here's the kicker. I played the DVD on my wife's Dell laptop computer and it played without any sound glitch. I also played the burned DVD on the desktop computer used to create the project, using Roxio's media player. No problem with sound. So then I wondered about my DVD player (it's a Denon). Went to my other DVD player (it's a Toshiba) and played the DVD. Same glitch at the same point in time. Now I wonder if the problem is with the burner on my desktop computer. Although this doesn't explain why the DVD played okay on the laptop and desktop computers.

Addressing the suggestions posed in the responses to my problem; I did burn a iso image file on the HD. Previewed it prior to burning to DVD. It played without incident. Also changed transitions. Did not solve problem. Then deleted the 3rd image panel. Still no resolution to sound problem.

I've pretty much given up. I guess for some reason my two DVD players object to something on this DVD project. It's odd because I just completed a project not more than a week or so ago. While the first burn did produce a sound glitch, but at a different point during playback, it was eventually eliminated after going back, removing transitions and sound track, and then adding them back. So I'm not sure this is what resolved the problem. Have one more slide show project to complete. Hopefully, this last project won't be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Try some Verbatim media, and see if your burner, and DVD players, like the media.

Wellll, I've been using Verbatim media all along. I recognize that the experts recommend using better quality disks, but do various quality levels exist among those better brands recommended? For example, I've been purchasing Verbatim DVD+R, white inkjet printable for the final burning process. I also purchased Sony DVD+RW for trial burns. And yes, the sound glitch occurs with each brand media at the same point. I seem to recall that there is a way to determine the manufacturer of the disk irrespective of the brand name because some manufacturers are better than others. Can you explain? By the way, the sound track and the transitions were again removed from the project and added back again. The transitions were added first, followed by the sound track. Then the slide show was fit to the length of the sound track. The glitch in sound occurred at the same point again. Frustrating!!! Decided to burn a previously created Iso Image of a slide show with sound. This burned successfully. No sound glitch. This seems to eliminate any possibility that the burner is at fault. Are there any other steps that can be used to isolate the problem?

Load the project and then go to tools, options and clear the proxy files. The proxy files help the project load faster BUT they can be corrupted and give you issues even (especially) when you make changes. The proxy files are almost immediately rebuilt. Rebootimg your computer usually clears the proxy files also but I woul dnot count on it.

When you write "load the project", then go to tools, etc, is this within Videowave? Would check this out immediately, but my desktop computer is the middle of burning another version of the project to an ISO Image file. Have made another modification to the slid show project. Writing this reply on the laptop.

When you write "load the project", then go to tools, etc, is this within Videowave? Would check this out immediately, but my desktop computer is the middle of burning another version of the project to an ISO Image file. Have made another modification to the slid show project. Writing this reply on the laptop.

If you used Video Wave then yes; if you used Create DVD then that.

Here's the latest. The sound track problem is definitely related to using digital images from 2 previous years, and of course 2 different folders. I burned an Iso Image file and then burned it to disk after deleting the first 3 digital images. It played without a sound track problem. One of the images that was deleted was from a 2003 folder. Two other images deleted were from a 2008 folder. This made up panels 3, 4 and 5 in the slide show project. The first panel in this slide show project consists of a scan of a flag, followed by a color panel with text. Panels 3, 4 and 5 contained the images from previous years. I suspected this was the problem early on, but couldn't convince myself. I even dragged the images in question (3, 4 and 5) into the current folder from which the majority of images were used. It didn't eliminate the sound track glitch. With the latest version of the slide show, the flag panel and the text panel precede the first digital image panel and those thereafter. All of these images came from the current folder used to create the slide show project. There's something within those digital images used from previous years that is apparently causing the problem. Any ideas of why? Does it make sense? I still would like to use these images in this slide show because it creates a natural intro to the current project.

Here's the latest. The sound track problem is definitely related to using digital images from 2 previous years, and of course 2 different folders. I burned an Iso Image file and then burned it to disk after deleting the first 3 digital images. It played without a sound track problem. One of the images that was deleted was from a 2003 folder. Two other images deleted were from a 2008 folder. This made up panels 3, 4 and 5 in the slide show project. The first panel in this slide show project consists of a scan of a flag, followed by a color panel with text. Panels 3, 4 and 5 contained the images from previous years. I suspected this was the problem early on, but couldn't convince myself. I even dragged the images in question (3, 4 and 5) into the current folder from which the majority of images were used. It didn't eliminate the sound track glitch. With the latest version of the slide show, the flag panel and the text panel precede the first digital image panel and those thereafter. All of these images came from the current folder used to create the slide show project. There's something within those digital images used from previous years that is apparently causing the problem. Any ideas of why? Does it make sense? I still would like to use these images in this slide show because it creates a natural intro to the current project.

It makes no sense at all. How do those photos (digital images) differ from the others?

No, it doesn't make any sense. I don't see how a digital image would create a audio glitch.

What happens if you move those problem images to to later in your project? If you really feel that those images are the problem have you tried running them through photosuite to create new image files?

Have to take back my comment about certain digital images being the source of the audio blip. The digital images were moved to another position; the proxy files were deleted in VideoWave as suggested. The audio blip still occurs at the same point on the DVD during playback. Changed the music in the sound track and added it to the slideshow. Same blip at same point during playback. Gave the slideshow a different file name and saved it in VideoWave using this new file name. Of course, went to MyDVD to then burn a ISO IMage file. Then wondered if there was a bad section on the HD since the blip occurs at the same point and I had been saving the project by overwriting it. Renaming the file and saving it didn't eliminate the blip.

In each instance, reviewing/previewing the completed slideshow in all 3 manners (VideoWave, MyDVD and ISO Image) prior to burning to disk did not exhibit a blip in the sound. Playing the DVDs on the laptop computer also did not produce the blip in the sound. Going back to two previously created slideshows with sound, one created just one week prior to the slide show in question, and then burning them to disk did not produce a blip in their respective sound tracks. I've given up. I'll have to just live with the problem. Hopefully, the next slide show currently being created will not have the same problem.

Thanks for all of the help.

Have to take back my comment about certain digital images being the source of the audio blip. The digital images were moved to another position; the proxy files were deleted in VideoWave as suggested. The audio blip still occurs at the same point on the DVD during playback. Changed the music in the sound track and added it to the slideshow. Same blip at same point during playback. Gave the slideshow a different file name and saved it in VideoWave using this new file name. Of course, went to MyDVD to then burn a ISO IMage file. Then wondered if there was a bad section on the HD since the blip occurs at the same point and I had been saving the project by overwriting it. Renaming the file and saving it didn't eliminate the blip.

In each instance, reviewing/previewing the completed slideshow in all 3 manners (VideoWave, MyDVD and ISO Image) prior to burning to disk did not exhibit a blip in the sound. Playing the DVDs on the laptop computer also did not produce the blip in the sound. Going back to two previously created slideshows with sound, one created just one week prior to the slide show in question, and then burning them to disk did not produce a blip in their respective sound tracks. I've given up. I'll have to just live with the problem. Hopefully, the next slide show currently being created will not have the same problem.

Fine and dandy, well and good, but you didn't answer the question.

You say that DVD with the blip plays Ok on the computer. What happens if you play the DVD on a friends DVD player?

.....the cheapest DVD player that your friend has. The cheaper ones do better. Unfortunately that is no "fix."

Since it plays OK on your computer and your wife's computer, then it may just come down to the better DVD players.

Also the next time you need discs, go on line and get some JVC (Taiyo Yuden). Some say they are better than the Verbatim but I'm not sure that has been proved.

This is directed to grandpabruce. To the best of my knowledge there are no meaningful differences between the two digital images in question, other than the images themselves. They're both landscape views. Checked image data such as date taken, number of pixels, type of image (jpeg), file size and camera settings. Nothing stood out. Besides, I did eliminate these two images from the slide show, and still the blip occurred at the identical same point during playback. It's been frustrating. But I'm moving on. Will see what happens with the next project that is almost completed.