• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No longer Recognizes two dvd drives

hydrant

Question

Have used EMC 7.5 since last year with no dvd burning problem. "Suddenly" it no longer recognizes two dvd drives!!! Both drives play dvds fine and are recognized by windows media player and Power DVD.

Do I need to uninstall/install? I could find no reference in Help on how to have prog again scan for hardware.

Only thing I can think of that might have happened as it occurred around the same time....Time Warner offered its Roadrunner suscribers a Kodak slideshow-creating program which I installed. I have since uninstalled Kodak prog just in case. Any assist would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Have used EMC 7.5 since last year with no dvd burning problem. "Suddenly" it no longer recognizes two dvd drives!!! Both drives play dvds fine and are recognized by windows media player and Power DVD.

Do I need to uninstall/install? I could find no reference in Help on how to have prog again scan for hardware.

Only thing I can think of that might have happened as it occurred around the same time....Time Warner offered its Roadrunner suscribers a Kodak slideshow-creating program which I installed. I have since uninstalled Kodak prog just in case. Any assist would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure if it will work for you but try this tip.

It appears to me that when you installed the new Kodak Slide Show program it probably changed or placed a file of some sort on your computer that is interfering with the drives when you run your EMC 7.5 program. Even when you un-installed the Kodak program it probably didn't remove that file, assuming that is the case. This happens sometimes when you remove a program using Control Panel & Add or Remove Programs. Most of the time that procedure doesn't remove every one of the files that were added to your computer when you installed it. It usually only removes the files necessary to run that program in the registry, but will leave other files just dormant in the registry.

If you un-install and re-install or repair your EMC 7.5 program, if that file that is causing the problem is still on your computer, you will most likely be in the same boat again. If you have any registry cleaner programs that will remove a certain program from your registry or if you know how and can do it manually, you might be able to remove most all of the files that could possibly be causing your problem.

Frank....

It appears to me that when you installed the new Kodak Slide Show program it probably changed or placed a file of some sort on your computer that is interfering with the drives when you run your EMC 7.5 program. Even when you un-installed the Kodak program it probably didn't remove that file, assuming that is the case. This happens sometimes when you remove a program using Control Panel & Add or Remove Programs. Most of the time that procedure doesn't remove every one of the files that were added to your computer when you installed it. It usually only removes the files necessary to run that program in the registry, but will leave other files just dormant in the registry.

If you un-install and re-install or repair your EMC 7.5 program, if that file that is causing the problem is still on your computer, you will most likely be in the same boat again. If you have any registry cleaner programs that will remove a certain program from your registry or if you know how and can do it manually, you might be able to remove most all of the files that could possibly be causing your problem.

Frank....

I corrected problem! I installed the patch and also ran the "repair" feature on Control Panel. Not sure which of the two approaches did the job as I (unfortunately) did not reboot between each. Once I did reboot, however, the drives were recognized. Thank you to all three for your kind suggestions.

hydrant

Archived