Handycam Import

Iza

Question

Hi, I am trying to import the video from my Sony Handycam Vision camcorder, I have the wires needed from the camcorder to the Dazzle Video Capture Device. Now what? I go to Media Import, I click on Video and the programs shuts down. What should I do, I don't really understand how to import the video.

thanks, Izabara

ggrussell,

Thanks so much for all your help! I did that last step of add/remove, change... It didn't work. I am going to give up for now, but if anybody has any news on this, please, please let me know!!

I would also like to know if there is some other software I could use to import the videos from my hadycamera through the dazzle and into my computer to burn DVDs.

Thanks so so much,

Iza

Hi Izabara,

have you made sure that you have selected the dazel DV90 in the source first,

post-293-1153002969.jpg

1. select the dazzel unit

2.select the video import type (see below) (comossite or S-video)

post-293-1153003027.jpg

3. select the import audio type

4. dont select the best option on video size, some computers cannot manage this and may shut down media import

also can you tell me what the chipset of you pc is , Make model of pc or laptop?, as the Dazel can have issues with VIA chipset PC's, it seems to work better with Full intel models

you can find that here..see below

post-293-1153002918.jpg

Also

make sure you have the correct codex, as if you dont you may get green lines running though your video

Here is a link to the working codex (for me and others)

I'm having the exact same problem. Media Import seems to shutdown when you click either the photo or video button. I am using EMC 8 Deluxe with a Dazzle (DVC90) on a Dell Inspiron 9400 notebook. Windows seems to see the Dazzle device and I can use it just fine with Windows Movie Maker.

I tried several of the suggestions I read in this post about trying different USB ports, checking the USB chipset (I have Intel) and the video chipset (I have ATI Radeon Mobility X1400). Media import crashes whether the Dazzle device is connected or not.

I opened a ticket for this issue today (8/12/06). I update this posting if I get a reply.

In the mean time, does anyone out there have any other ideas? (I've checked for updates using the "help" menu and my Roxio software appears to be up-to-date).

Given the success using Windows Movie Maker, it would seem this might be Roxio software problem.

First of all, thanks for your help! Attached my answers…

Hi Izabara,

have you made sure that you have selected the dazel DV90 in the source first,

1***The program doesn’t even let me get that far, as soon as I click on the “Video” button, it shuts down

also can you tell me what the chipset of you pc is , Make model of pc or laptop?, as the Dazel can have issues with VIA chipset PC's, it seems to work better with Full intel models

Dell XPS Desktop

2***-Intel® 82801 PCI Bridge – 244E

-Intel® 82801 FB LPC Interface Controller - 2640

-Intel® 82801 FB/FBM SMBus Controller – 266A

-Intel® 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port – 2581

-Intel® 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller - 2580

Also

make sure you have the correct codex, as if you dont you may get green lines running though your video

3***I ran it, but now what should I do with the SLD Codec Selector?

4***So as a last step I opened the Roxio Media Import again. If I click on Audio I see the drop down menu where I can select Dazzle. If I click on Video the software shuts down, it disappears.

5***My other concern is that the guy at CompUSA gave me a cable for the audio that goes from the video camera to the dazzle device, with two ends only, red and white, no yellow… do I need the yellow?

Thanks, Iza

5***My other concern is that the guy at CompUSA gave me a cable for the audio that goes from the video camera to the dazzle device, with two ends only, red and white, no yellow… do I need the yellow?

Thanks, Iza

Ouch! 3 line is absolutely necessary!!! The colors are:

Yellow – Video

Red – Right Audio

White – Left Audio.

Still the program should not crash but report something like No Device Available.

With the Dazzle unplugged, what happens when you select Video?

Ouch! 3 line is absolutely necessary!!! The colors are:

Yellow – Video

Red – Right Audio

White – Left Audio.

Still the program should not crash but report something like No Device Available.

With the Dazzle unplugged, what happens when you select Video?

The order in which you open the programs, plug in the Dazzle and turn on your camera is very important. I had a procedure that worked for me but you may need one that works for your device, your camera and your computer. You may have to vary that somewhat by playing around.

What model camcorder do you have?

I have an older Sony video camera that has only one output post that is like a stereo connection but one line is for video and one for stereo. I'm not sure if that is what you have but if so, you need to split that one line into two with one side going to the video (you have to play with it to determine which one.) The other line would be audio that goes into your sound card. I jury rigged a harness that takes the audio and splits that again so I have two lines into my audio card. his is not necessary since you can record in mono. It just makes it convient for me to plug into my computer when I change audio inputs.

Even if the Dazzel is unpluged, the "Media Improt" shuts down if I click either video or Photo. It only works for Audio, it gives me the drop down menu and all that.

The camera I have is Sony video Hi8, Hndycam ccd-trv58 NTSC 460XDigital Zoom.

This is the info from Sony Support Web Page...

"Connect your camcorder to your TV with the A/V connection cable supplied with your comcorder to watch the playback picture on the TV screen.... If your TV has an S video jack, connect using an S video cable to obtain high qualiti pcitres. With this connection, you do not need to connect the yellow (video) plug of the A/V connection cable."

So I guess from that, I don't need the yellow cord, right?

Let mw know what you think!! Thanks, Iza

Red/White = stereo audio left & Right

for video you can use the Yellow RCA plug OR the SVideo

Since you have the audio and the SVideo cable, then using those should work fine. However, Media Import is having a problem. You need to fix that first.

Even if the Dazzel is unpluged, the "Media Improt" shuts down if I click either video or Photo. It only works for Audio, it gives me the drop down menu and all that.

The camera I have is Sony video Hi8, Hndycam ccd-trv58 NTSC 460XDigital Zoom.

"Connect your camcorder to your TV with the A/V connection cable supplied with your comcorder to watch the playback picture on the TV screen.... If your TV has an S video jack, connect using an S video cable to obtain high qualiti pcitres. With this connection, you do not need to connect the yellow (video) plug of the A/V connection cable."

YES! You do need the yellow plug to see video!!!!! You aren't plugging it into your television with an S video jack. You are plugging it into the Dazzle. Read what you need to read, not what you want to read!!!!

If you click on Import Video or Photo, and Media Import shuts down, you have other problems and need to find out what they are.

The $64K dollar question... First start with your computer specs especially video card. For the Dazzle to work problaby, you need USB2 ports. According to Pinnacle Systems (now part of AVID) that make the device, it has issues with VIA brand USB chipset. So let's start with that.

Right click on My Computer

Select MANAGE

In the left side, click on Device manager

This show devices connected in the right hand pane

Click on the + beside Universal Serial Bus Controllers

What is listed that says XXXXXX USB Universal Host Controller?

The XXXX part is usually the chipset brand like VIA, INTEL or NForce. If you have VIA, then you may need to purchase another USB card that has another chipset. Unfortunately, this is not a Roxio problem since they got the device from another company.

Thanks, I have Intel, here is in detail...

Intel® 82801 PCI Bridge – 244E

-Intel® 82801 FB LPC Interface Controller - 2640

-Intel® 82801 FB/FBM SMBus Controller – 266A

-Intel® 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port – 2581

-Intel® 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller - 2580

:) That is the same camera model I have.

Please read my previous posts about the use of the camera. If you do use the "S" video, then you must use only one of the two outputs from the A/V jack to get the audio. That unit is mono audio only so you only "need" one line for that. Use the "Y" connection that came with your camera if you still have it. If not, did Radio Shack give you a stereo "Y" connector? You will have to experiment to find which one. Look at the image below and substitute your device for where it shows a TV. Do not use both video outputs. I don't think that that type of connection is used much so the person at Radio Shack didn't know.

You probably still have a problem with the import part of the program that must be fixed before you worry about connections. Do you know if the Dazzle drivers were installed?

Even if the Dazzel is unpluged, the "Media Improt" shuts down if I click either video or Photo. It only works for Audio, it gives me the drop down menu and all that.The camera I have is Sony video Hi8, Hndycam ccd-trv58 NTSC 460XDigital Zoom.

If you have multiple USB ports on your computer, you may want to try all of them since they may be powered slightly differently.

The $64K dollar question... First start with your computer specs especially video card. For the Dazzle to work problaby, you need USB2 ports. According to Pinnacle Systems (now part of AVID) that make the device, it has issues with VIA brand USB chipset. So let's start with that.

Right click on My Computer

Select MANAGE

In the left side, click on Device manager

This show devices connected in the right hand pane

Click on the + beside Universal Serial Bus Controllers

What is listed that says XXXXXX USB Universal Host Controller?

The XXXX part is usually the chipset brand like VIA, INTEL or NForce. If you have VIA, then you may need to purchase another USB card that has another chipset. Unfortunately, this is not a Roxio problem since they got the device from another company.

oK, I tried the cd/dvd driver again before I clicked Video on the "Media Import" and it steel disappears completely.

I also downloaded all the drivers that you (ggrussell) recommended.

Now I will restart and hope the "Media Import" works.

I'll keep you posted!

Iza

Media Import still shuts down completely as soon as I click on Video or Photo. Any other recommendations? I should have the video camera on, right? On Player, connected to dazzle and dazzle connected to the USB port. Anything else?

Thanks, Iza

It shouldn't matter if the Dazzle is plugged in at this point. Even if you have NO video or photo devices, Media Import should not close down. UNPLUG the Dazzle and see if Media Import closes. If it doesn't, then we know the problem is the Dazzle. The Dazzle driver at Pinnacle is dated 2004 so I don't know if the one from Roxio is newer or not.

Archived