• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Trying To Fix Roxio 6

LJTexas

Hi Digital -- you seem to understand Roxio 6 problems. I've been using it without trouble for a long time, and continue to prefer it over the newer versions. Started having problems a month ago, getting an Error message saying it'll have to shut down. For awhile it let me re-open and continue burning, but it got gradually worse until now. I can't burn anything. Un-installed and re-installed. Got the 'illegal instruction' warning. I've read that that can be a conflict with AVG 7.5, which I did upgrade to earlier in year. I saw that you recommended 'scrolling back' to IE 6 and Windows Media 9 -- how do you do this? I thought I'd try that first before messing with AVG.

Thanks for being there!

LJ

Hi Digital -- you seem to understand Roxio 6 problems. I've been using it without trouble for a long time, and continue to prefer it over the newer versions. Started having problems a month ago, getting an Error message saying it'll have to shut down. For awhile it let me re-open and continue burning, but it got gradually worse until now. I can't burn anything. Un-installed and re-installed. Got the 'illegal instruction' warning. I've read that that can be a conflict with AVG 7.5, which I did upgrade to earlier in year. I saw that you recommended 'scrolling back' to IE 6 and Windows Media 9 -- how do you do this? I thought I'd try that first before messing with AVG.

Thanks for being there!

LJ

Read this http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/23162-how-to-uninstall-ie-7-and-wmp-11/

Hi Ogden,

I read what you sent me; I haven't yet researched where I find IE 6 once 7 is gone -- just go to the MS site?

Same with Windows Media player?

But after reading some more posts, I thought I'd like to try the AVG patch you recommended to someone else, which seemed to work. I tried following the link, though, and it no longer goes to that patch file. Do you know where I can find ecdr4_53_71.exe?

Thanks again from out here in Texas, and Happy New Year too!

LJ

Hi Ogden,

I read what you sent me; I haven't yet researched where I find IE 6 once 7 is gone -- just go to the MS site?

Same with Windows Media player?

But after reading some more posts, I thought I'd like to try the AVG patch you recommended to someone else, which seemed to work. I tried following the link, though, and it no longer goes to that patch file. Do you know where I can find ecdr4_53_71.exe?

Thanks again from out here in Texas, and Happy New Year too!

LJ

Is this the one you are refering too http://www.roxio.com...err/cdr4_7.html

If not, provide us with link you tried.

Hi again, Ogden -- looks like that link works, and so I believe can access that patch file. I read some more of your discussion threads in the meantime, and now wonder if this patch is mainly for EZCD 4 & 5. I have version 6 -- do you know if it will work for AVG problems with that version?

Thanks again for help, btw -- looks like you've helped many over the years, thanks for that.

LJ

Good morning Ogden....in addition to my question verifying that the ecdr4 file is a fix for the Roxio 6 version, I also saw when I went to the link you sent me that the file size is 183, not 188 as you mentioned in other posts. Wanted to check with you on that.

Thanks again,

LJ

Hi Tom,

I was reading your post about problems with Roxio 6 -- and I too started having problems with it, I can't even burn a CD now. I saw that upgrading to AVG 7.5 could cause conflict (which I did in the fall), and a patch file was recommended. Also scrolling back to IE 6. I was wondering what you did to solve your problem? Did you try the patch file?

Thanks,

LJ

Hi again, Ogden -- looks like that link works, and so I believe can access that patch file. I read some more of your discussion threads in the meantime, and now wonder if this patch is mainly for EZCD 4 & 5. I have version 6 -- do you know if it will work for AVG problems with that version?

Thanks again for help, btw -- looks like you've helped many over the years, thanks for that.

LJ

You can use it with your version 6.

Also, in post 10 you refer to Tom, is this in reference to a specific user on here that you are asking a question, if so, then ask in the post were you saw his name or click on the little envelope under his name and send him a PM (Private Message).

Tom is the Original Poster, who has been totally left out since LJ hijacked this topic at post #3.

I'm not a regular forum user, so have no idea if I've done something illegal or not, as the word 'hijack' implies. No slight meant to Tom. I thought all these posts could be seen. How am I posting incorrectly. And btw, the patch file from the link is only 183 not 188.

LJ

Tom is the Original Poster, who has been totally left out since LJ hijacked this topic at post #3.

I'm not a regular forum user, so have no idea if I've done something illegal or not, as the word 'hijack' implies. No slight meant to Tom. I thought all these posts could be seen. How am I posting incorrectly. And btw, the patch file from the link is only 183 not 188.

LJ

No, you have done nothing illegal. It is preferred though that posters start their own thread since in most cases the problems are not the same (just the symptoms look the same) unless you have the identical computer system,. etc. "Me too" posts usually just create a lot of confusion. "Hijack" simply refers to jumping into a thread with a similar problem.

Tom actually never came cak to the forum and his last appearance was on the day he initially posted. So either he solved his problem (and didn't bother to inform this forum) or he is not interested in solving his problem

Brendon/Ogden/Myguggi -- thanks for clarifying. I will start new post next time. Also I did send personal note to Tom. Meanwhile, still wondering if the file size on that patch is ok. I'm also wondering if I should uninstall AVG and get Avast, any thoughts? Also: are any of the newer versions of Roxio as good as 6, should I upgrade?

LJ

Walt,

Thanks. That's reassuring. :)

Brendon/Ogden/Myguggi -- thanks for clarifying. I will start new post next time. Also I did send personal note to Tom. Meanwhile, still wondering if the file size on that patch is ok. I'm also wondering if I should uninstall AVG and get Avast, any thoughts? Also: are any of the newer versions of Roxio as good as 6, should I upgrade?

LJ

LJ,

Here's the detail on the patch file. Yours should be fine.

post-208-077201400 1294188551.jpg

I preferred Avast! to AVG Free,

I'd suggest you upgrade software only if you can see clear advantages in doing so. It costs lots of money to stay up on the bleeding edge of technology and get the latest of everything if you don't need it or aren't going to use the new-fangled features that the newest versions provide. Even worse if you like and use the old features that have been dropped in a new thing.

Brendon

I've been using Roxio 6 for several years and prefer it to newer versions. I upgraded my AVG and later, when I started burning Christmas CDs, started getting an error window (Roxio has encountered and error & must close). I was able to go back in and continue burning. But this error became more frequent until the other day, when I could not even begin to burn. It does appear that I can burn data CDs.

I tried installing a suggested patch -- a cdr4 file -- with no effect. I then uninstalled my AVG virus software, but still same problem with Roxio, even after uninstalling and reinstalling again. I do have IE 8 and Windows Media Player 11, and have read links on how to scroll back. It just seems strange that they were working ok together all year (don't recall exactly when I upgraded to either one, but the AVG was the most recent upgrade). I wonder if scrolling back can cause other problems; I saw that removing 8 can require some adjustments to the registry.

Wondering if it's possible that the Roxio software itself is corrupted, and I should try buying another version 6 CD.

Any advice is very appreciated!

LJ

I've been using Roxio 6 for several years and prefer it to newer versions. I upgraded my AVG and later, when I started burning Christmas CDs, started getting an error window (Roxio has encountered and error & must close). I was able to go back in and continue burning. But this error became more frequent until the other day, when I could not even begin to burn. It does appear that I can burn data CDs.

I tried installing a suggested patch -- a cdr4 file -- with no effect. I then uninstalled my AVG virus software, but still same problem with Roxio, even after uninstalling and reinstalling again. I do have IE 8 and Windows Media Player 11, and have read links on how to scroll back. It just seems strange that they were working ok together all year (don't recall exactly when I upgraded to either one, but the AVG was the most recent upgrade). I wonder if scrolling back can cause other problems; I saw that removing 8 can require some adjustments to the registry.

Wondering if it's possible that the Roxio software itself is corrupted, and I should try buying another version 6 CD.

Any advice is very appreciated!

LJ

Would you please explain what you mean (in the bolded text in the first paragraph).

It would appear that it is ok when you burn a data CD, but when you make a Music CD it gives you problems.

LJ,

It won't be that your installer CD is corrupted and you need to find another installer CD for Easy CD and DVD Creator 6.

If your CD was scratched or otherwise damaged it would have complained a storm when you tried to install from it. It didn't so the CD is fine.

Something has changed in your machine which had broken the Roxio software. Whatever it is, it's still there when you reinstall the Roxio software, so the Roxio software still doesn't work properly.

I suspect it's the upgrade to I.E. and/or WMP which has done it. What's difficult about diagnosing that is that things can keep working fine with the upgrades until one day something changes the load order of your software and then everything falls apart.

Would you please explain what you mean (in the bolded text in the first paragraph).

It would appear that it is ok when you burn a data CD, but when you make a Music CD it gives you problems.

Yes, I mean that the problem gradually worsened while I was burning music CDs. It hasn't complained yet about data CDs. Meanwhile I checked with our corporate IT dept about scrolling back on IE. They said going to 7 would be ok, but anything lower could cause problems with the Citrix connection installed on my home system. That allows me to access files & emails from work, so can't risk messing that up. What's your opinion about just scrolling back to 7? Pretty much a crap shoot?

And to deepen the mystery, I tried burning one of my Christmas CDs today, and it had no trouble. Then I burned a CD of other songs, no problem. It will balk completely at the list of karaoke songs I downloaded last weekend. Maybe it just hates my singing......? (I'm not kidding myself, though, into thinking everything is ok. Something is obviously wrong).

LJ

Yes, I mean that the problem gradually worsened while I was burning music CDs. It hasn't complained yet about data CDs. Meanwhile I checked with our corporate IT dept about scrolling back on IE. They said going to 7 would be ok, but anything lower could cause problems with the Citrix connection installed on my home system. That allows me to access files & emails from work, so can't risk messing that up. What's your opinion about just scrolling back to 7? Pretty much a crap shoot?

And to deepen the mystery, I tried burning one of my Christmas CDs today, and it had no trouble. Then I burned a CD of other songs, no problem. It will balk completely at the list of karaoke songs I downloaded last weekend. Maybe it just hates my singing......? (I'm not kidding myself, though, into thinking everything is ok. Something is obviously wrong).

LJ

It is probably better for your to scroll up to a new version of the software. ;)

LJ

So. the problem is ONLY when you try to burn karaoke songs.

Were did you "download" these songs from?. I don't think that Roxio software can create CD+G disc's. Maybe another user can confirm this.

Did your Roxio 6 come pre- installed on your computer, or did purchase it.

What specific application within the program are you using? be specific.

Give us a step by step of what you are doing, details, we cant see what you are doing.

As for rolling back, thats your call, go with what your IT say.

LJ

Downloaded karaoke songs from where? Are they commercial? Maybe they have copy protection?

I doubt rolling back to IE7 will help, after all IE7 breaks EMC 7/7.5 and alsol as EMC 6 I believe

Karaoke tracks don't work but ordinary MP3s will?

You're not running into the CD+G/MP3+G thing, are you? [and we are 20 posts into the topic before we find out that Karaoke tracks are involved?]

Try some more regular music stuff, and if that works but the Karaoke stuff doesn't then you know what the problem is, right?

So. the problem is ONLY when you try to burn karaoke songs.

Were did you "download" these songs from?. I don't think that Roxio software can create CD+G disc's. Maybe another user can confirm this.

Did your Roxio 6 come pre- installed on your computer, or did purchase it.

What specific application within the program are you using? be specific.

Give us a step by step of what you are doing, details, we cant see what you are doing.

As for rolling back, thats your call, go with what your IT say.

It may have come with the computer originally; I bought a new CD of version 6 in 2008 when the other started getting glitchy (I did try version 8 briefly but was very disappointed). Current version 6 worked fine til now. The application I'm having trouble with is Creator Classic; it seems intermittent because, as I mentioned, it actually allowed me to burn 2 music CDs just hte other day. The karaoke downloads aren't the problem; I got them from Amazon, where I download alot of music. The 2 CDs I just burned contained music downloaded from Amazon.

If I do have to upgrade -- can y'all tell me which version is most similar to 6 as far as the Creator Classic and Audio Centrol goes?

Archived