• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

zang

Easy Vhs To Dvd...can't Burn To Dvd

Question

Running Win 7 on a new HP. Initial installation of software seemed to go fine. I tried to direct burn about three minutes of a VCR tape as a test. The Roxio menu seemed to be working OK. Video and audio were fine in the display window. When I hit the record button I got the following error message: "Can't Burn to DVD: Error Hresult E_Fail has been returned from a call to a COM component". When I hit the stop button the "finishing" icon appeared and ran for about an hour. I could not break out of the program or eject the disk until I crashed the process in Task Manager. CD/DVD Drive works fine because I have used it in other programs and burns. This software shouldn't be this difficult to use right out of the box.

19 answers to this question

Running Win 7 on a new HP. Initial installation of software seemed to go fine. I tried to direct burn about three minutes of a VCR tape as a test. The Roxio menu seemed to be working OK. Video and audio were fine in the display window. When I hit the record button I got the following error message: "Can't Burn to DVD: Error Hresult E_Fail has been returned from a call to a COM component". When I hit the stop button the "finishing" icon appeared and ran for about an hour. I could not break out of the program or eject the disk until I crashed the process in Task Manager. CD/DVD Drive works fine because I have used it in other programs and burns. This software shouldn't be this difficult to use right out of the box.

I don't recommend using the direct burn to DVD feature but prefer capturing first to hard drive. You can then first check the captured video and see if it is correct and even make some editing changes if desired.

I would also use RW DVDs for testing until you are sure everything is working.

The software is really not difficult to use.

Thanks for the reply myguggi. The problem still remains. I can't burn to DVD. All I get is that error code and then the software locks up in the "finishing" mode after I hit the stop button. The DVD-RW is a good tip if I ever get that far.

Probably not a software problem.

If you search the Error Message you will find it hundreds of hits and almost nothing related to Roxio…

Use the Record-Edit-Save portion for a test as Walt suggested. You can output to file if you don’t have any DVD RW’s available yet.

It is just a test, so keep it short and simple. You can also burn a disc using this ‘side’ of the software too.

Let us know how you make out!

Thanks for the reply Jim. I tried the "Use the Record-Edit-Save portion for a test as Walt suggested. You can output to file if you don’t have any DVD RW’s available yet" idea as you suggested. No luck at all. Some strange stuff happened. I recorded several minutes of a VCR in the Record-Edit-Save section with no problem. When I stop the recording nothing shows up in the upper right section marked Video List? No recording Name and Total Play Time is blank? If I click Import Video I can see the recordings I have made. If I try to open a recording I get the following error: "Roxio An unknown error has occurred, The application will shut down now. Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." At that point Window 7 says "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD has stopped working" and shuts the program down. I fell this is definitely a Roxio software issue. I have spent all weekend recording 12 VHS tapes and burning them to DVD using CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe with no problems at all. This software was already on my new HP-337 computer. This program has more options than I need but it works fine. I bought the Roxio software because it was supposed to be easy. I checked my DVD burner and it has the latest driver. Do you think I should try to reload the Roxio S/W? Many thanks for the help.

There is something wrong with your install...

When programs break, Registry Cleaners or overzealous AV software is usually the reason. Something for you to check on.

For now, follow the Prep Steps then start an install of the software. The option to Repair will show up, use that.

Jim, Thank for trying to help. I tried everything you suggested in "Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products". All of my drives are up to date. I turned off my anti-virus S/W. I disable everything in "msconfig". I tried to "Repair" on the reinstallation of the S/W. The reinstall went without any error messages. No luck at all. The program still does not work. The following is what is on my current Help Desk ticket (1136517): The program NEVER gives me the opportunity to save the file to Computer but does it by itself putting the video file in "Library, Videos, East VHS to DVD, Captured Video as an .mpeg file. The captured Videos seem to be find. I can open and run them in ANY other program (Win Media Player, Win Live Movie Maker, Win Media Center etc. What I can not do is to put them back to Easy VHS to DVD. When I try to Import the file I get the following error " Roxio An unknown error has occurred. The application will shut down now. Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation". Then your program crashes. Since I can not Import a video without crashing, I am dead in the water at that point. Now a new problem has started to surface. About half the time when I try to start your program it fails with the following message "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". It will let me "Debug" or "Close Program". I have tried both with no luck. Sometimes I can restart your program after one attempt and sometime it takes two times. This new problem just adds more crap to a growing pile. I am very, very frustrated. I have spend a ridiculous amount of time on a program that I bought because it was supposed to be "EASY". The new start up problem is getting worse. All of these problems are still here after the REPAIR. I really believe that this software in not compatible with Window 7. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the reply Jim. I tried the "Use the Record-Edit-Save portion for a test as Walt suggested. You can output to file if you don't have any DVD RW's available yet" idea as you suggested. No luck at all. Some strange stuff happened. I recorded several minutes of a VCR in the Record-Edit-Save section with no problem. When I stop the recording nothing shows up in the upper right section marked Video List? No recording Name and Total Play Time is blank? If I click Import Video I can see the recordings I have made. If I try to open a recording I get the following error: "Roxio An unknown error has occurred, The application will shut down now. Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." At that point Window 7 says "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD has stopped working" and shuts the program down. I fell this is definitely a Roxio software issue. I have spent all weekend recording 12 VHS tapes and burning them to DVD using CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe with no problems at all. This software was already on my new HP-337 computer. This program has more options than I need but it works fine. I bought the Roxio software because it was supposed to be easy. I checked my DVD burner and it has the latest driver. Do you think I should try to reload the Roxio S/W? Many thanks for the help.

Do you mean that you can capture the video from the VHS recorder using Cyberlink DVD suite deluxe?

Not compatible with Win7???

Think Again! post-39730-057411200 1294778623.jpg

Your install is messed up, I have installed and run the 201B version on Win7, probably 5 times or more, counting the Beta testing... Also XP & Vista.

Sinced you opened a Ticket, lets wait and see what you hear from that. No point in burning both ends of the candle :P

myguggi. The answer to your question is Yes. I can capture, edit, produce and burn any VHS or existing file to my DVD Drive just fine using CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe. I just can't seem to do it in Roxio Easy VHS to DVD.

Jim, Maybe it is compatible with Win 7 but it would be hard to prove that to me. I agree that my install is probably messed up. I never had any error messages during the install and that is making me scratch my head. I noticed something in your enclosed images. Your "Video List" on the right side of your screen shows three videos. When I capture videos, they do not show up in that position on my screen. My "Video List" is always blank. The only thing I can do is try to Import and I have already said what happens after that. I am getting pretty discouraged with the Help Desk and my Ticket. It has been two days since their last response. I have done everything that they have asked me to do and I am no closer to an answer. Actually I have gotten more and better information from you. I guess I'll wait a little longer. Thank goodness for CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe. Thanks again for all your help. Don't know where I would be without you. B)

You know there is no extra charge for adding Line Feeds to your text to make it readable ;)

Clear one thing up please???

Are you able to capture, using the Roxio Video Capture USB device with CyberLink?

Otherwise, how are you capturing?

I Imported the clips in my example, but I could have recorded them just the same…

Sorry about the line feeds. I get to typing and I don't pick my head up.

Yes. I am able to capture VHS Tapes with the Roxio Video Capture USB device to CyberLink and to Roxio Easy VHS to DVD.

As a matter of fact, I have captured videos to Roxio Easy VHS to DVD. Then I can go into CyberLink Import the video, edit, produce and burn it just fine.

I can not do anything with any video in Roxio Easy VHS to DVD without the S/W crashing.

It is still a mystery why no videos show up in the My Video section of the software.

Is there a way to make an inquiry from Roxio into the status of my Ticket? I have done everything they have asked me to do and it has been three days since their last response. This whole issue has taken a life of it's own.

Jim, It has now been four days since my last update from the Technical Support Desk. I opened a new ticket to inquire about the status of the old ticket. We will see.

I tried to uninstall the S/W and reinstall it. Than was a disaster. I disabled everything in "Msconfig" and Roxio would not load at all. I kept getting "Error 0641".

I finally did get it to reload with everything in "Msconfig" enabled. Now 8 times out of 10 the program crashes on start up. Needless to say nothing at all works within the program now.

Naturally everything works just fine using the Roxio USB and CyberLink S/W.

If I get anywhere I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Hey Jim, I had a question or two.

Are the Help Desk tickets public domain? If so, can you look at 1136517 and 1142742 for me please?

I am not having much luck. Those folks seem to be having a lot of trouble figuring out what my problems are

After a full software reload, the Roxio software is stable enough that it doesn't crash on start up any more.

The problem with the software crash when I try to Import a file from "C:\Users\John\Videos\Easy VHS to DVD\Captured Videos" seems to be because the file is a mpeg file. I think that it needs to be a mpeg2 file. The Roxio software does not offer me the option of what format I want to store the file in. Sort of a Catch 22.

I still haven't gotten an answer as to why after I capture a Video it never shows up in the Video List on the right side of my screen. The left side of the screen (where I can view the video while it is being recorded) goes black after I hit Stop Recording. None of the controls on the left side do anything.

I guess since the Video List is blank, that's why I never see any edit screens or anything else.

If I get a resolution, I'll let you know. Any new ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your help in the past.

Well mpg, mpeg & mpeg2 are all the same and interchangle as far as the program is concerned... The only one that won't work is an mpeg2 that is HD. No High Def files are supported.

All captured videos are the same mpg format and all are usable.

If it were my computer, I would have slapped a new HDD in it and formatted it and installed the OS. You have some problems on your PC that no one has ever seen. That usually goes to Long Term Corruptions in the OS.

The new HDD is a trick to quickly confirm problems and avoid the pain of backing up.

Hello Jim,

I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on my problems with the Help Desk on two tickets.

I have done Everything they have asked me but nothing has worked.

I have been at this for 18 days now and I am off the charts with frustration.

If I ever get a resolution, I'll let you know.

I am glad that I can still edit and burn captured videos in CyberLink.

Hello Jim,

Well I guess that I have reached the end of the line.

The help desk has said that they are out of ideas. They said that "we are unable to offer you any further solutions for your issue and will have to discontinue any further support".

They did offer me a full refund.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in Roxio and Sonic. I guess I will have to find someone else's software. You can bet that I will never again purchase any software from Roxio or Sonic.

Thanks again for all you help in the past.

I think that is a silly reaction…

Everyone else can install and use it but your PC. Seems clear the problem is within your computer case

I am not surprised that Roxio doesn’t want to spend thousands of labor dollars on a one time problem for a $60 box of software.

You have an easy solution, use CyberLink. So you paid $60 for the capture device instead of $50 (stand alone price) Not a big deal. If you had not bought the Roxio device you would have still had to shell out an equal amount to get an Analog-to-Digital converter.

Of course you are entitled to do what you want and to have your own opinions :D

Good luck with your projects!