• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Disk Copy Windows 7 Dvd To Dvd-R

jeffmanz

Question

I am attempting to burn a copy of my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit DVD so that I have a back up copy in case I damage my original.

I tried to accomplish this 3 different ways; all unsuccessful.

1. Disk Copy

2. I copied the files to my hard drive then tried creating a Data DVD.

3. I created an ISO file then tried to create a DVD.

All attempts fail during the writing phase. During each writing phase the progress indicator never changes from 0% though the Time Remaining fully counts down from the initial time of 45 mintues to zero. I've let the process continue through at least an hour at which time I click on Cancel. The Cancel message shows for about another 20 mintues and then I have no choice but to use Task Manager to end the Roxio program.

I'm using brand new Memorex DVD-R's. My PC is a Windows 7 Pro 64bit with a quad core AMD chip; 4GIG or RAM and a 1.5 TB HD with tons of room and an MSI DVD Writer. I'm using Roxio Creator 2010 with SP2 installed. I've performed Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag several times to make sure the PC is clean.

I noticed that the Windows 7 Pro DVD contains 3.03gig of files comprised of 875 files. One of the files is 2.8gig in size. (IS THERE A FILE SIZE LIMITATION THAT I'M RUNNING INTO?)

I was thinking about buying a new DVD writer. Are there preferred makes I should consider that get along best with Roxio? Are there preferred brands of DVD-R disks that I should consider?

I attached a screen shot of an example of attempting to burn an ISO of the Win7 DVD to a DVD. (Obviously the ISO creation itself went fine).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-91301-055975000 1294699635.jpg

6 answers to this question

I checked all the Channels per your instructions and they are and were set to DMA Enabled.

I just tried to perform a disk to disk copy (again) and selected the 1.0x speed for the DVD burn along with Verification and the result is the same.

Is it possible that since one of the files is 2.8gig in size that it's too big for Roxio to copy?

Is it possible that an upgraded DVD writer might fix this problem. What brands are known to work best with Roxio?

Though I'm using a top brand DVD-R (i.e. Memorex), would another brand work better?

Thanks

Verbatim/Tayo Yuden/Sony are recommended, read this..... http://www.digitalfa...s/dvd-media.htm

Memorex are bottom feeders.

You might want to get some RW's for testing.

Open device manager and expand the > mark next to DVD/CD-Rom drives.

Right click each DVD Drive and click uninstall.

Reboot the pc windows will re-install the drives, wait and watch that it's done. For good measure reboot the PC again.

Open Data/Copy, Copy Disc to Image and recreate a iso image file of your W-7 Pro disc..

When the image is done, double click the image and burn disc image should launch try burning that to a disc.

My W-7 x64 pro disc took about five minutes to make the image, take note how long yours takes.

I checked all the Channels per your instructions and they are and were set to DMA Enabled.

I just tried to perform a disk to disk copy (again) and selected the 1.0x speed for the DVD burn along with Verification and the result is the same.

Is it possible that since one of the files is 2.8gig in size that it's too big for Roxio to copy?

Is it possible that an upgraded DVD writer might fix this problem. What brands are known to work best with Roxio?

Though I'm using a top brand DVD-R (i.e. Memorex), would another brand work better?

Thanks

Turn off the verification. It gives unreliable results.

Dump the Memorex, they are bottom of the barrel in my opinion

Turn off the verification. It gives unreliable results.

Dump the Memorex, they are bottom of the barrel in my opinion

I doubt verification caused the burn to fail.

Bashing the Memorex brand means nothing unless you know who made the disc, remember Memorex doesn't make the media.

I am attempting to burn a copy of my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit DVD so that I have a back up copy in case I damage my original.

I tried to accomplish this 3 different ways; all unsuccessful.

1. Disk Copy

2. I copied the files to my hard drive then tried creating a Data DVD.

3. I created an ISO file then tried to create a DVD.

All attempts fail during the writing phase. During each writing phase the progress indicator never changes from 0% though the Time Remaining fully counts down from the initial time of 45 mintues to zero. I've let the process continue through at least an hour at which time I click on Cancel. The Cancel message shows for about another 20 mintues and then I have no choice but to use Task Manager to end the Roxio program.

I'm using brand new Memorex DVD-R's. My PC is a Windows 7 Pro 64bit with a quad core AMD chip; 4GIG or RAM and a 1.5 TB HD with tons of room and an MSI DVD Writer. I'm using Roxio Creator 2010 with SP2 installed. I've performed Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag several times to make sure the PC is clean.

I noticed that the Windows 7 Pro DVD contains 3.03gig of files comprised of 875 files. One of the files is 2.8gig in size. (IS THERE A FILE SIZE LIMITATION THAT I'M RUNNING INTO?)

I was thinking about buying a new DVD writer. Are there preferred makes I should consider that get along best with Roxio? Are there preferred brands of DVD-R disks that I should consider?

I attached a screen shot of an example of attempting to burn an ISO of the Win7 DVD to a DVD. (Obviously the ISO creation itself went fine).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What write speed are you burning at?

I would check you DMA settings.

# 5 in my signature below, use Vista for W-7.

Thanks

Archived