• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Burn Size

CaliBluesman

Question

I am trying to burn a data disc.

I have an eBook Folder that says it has 4.40 GB of data in it. I am trying to burn it onto a 4.7 DVD-R disc and it is saying at the bottom that it has a 4.47GB and there is only 4.28 available on the DVD, so it is trying to make it on 2 DVD's.

I have Easy Media Creator 9.

Any ideas?

2 answers to this question

You can't fit it on one, so you may have to split it into 2 discs.

The standard so-called 4.7 GB disc actually holds about 4,700,000,000 bytes of data. Disc manufacturers call that 4.7 GB, but it isn't.

Given that a real GB is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 [1,073,471,824 bytes] your standard DVD only holds around 4.3 of what Windows calls GB.

Confusing, isn't it. That's the wonderful thing about standards, people pick whichever one they like at the moment. :(

There's a move afoot in the rest of the world to abandon the name Gigabyte [GB] and leave it to the storage manufacturers' 1,000,000,000 unit.

The 1024 x 1024 x 1024 computer 'Gig' is being called a Gibibyte [GiB] now, in most of the rest of the world, but not the USA for some reason unknown to me. :blink:

Go figure . . . [sigh]

You can't fit it on one, so you may have to split it into 2 discs.

The standard so-called 4.7 GB disc actually holds about 4,700,000,000 bytes of data. Disc manufacturers call that 4.7 GB, but it isn't.

Given that a real GB is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 [1,073,471,824 bytes] your standard DVD only holds around 4.3 of what Windows calls GB.

Confusing, isn't it. That's the wonderful thing about standards, people pick whichever one they like at the moment. :(

There's a move afoot in the rest of the world to abandon the name Gigabyte [GB] and leave it to the storage manufacturers' 1,000,000,000 unit.

The 1024 x 1024 x 1024 computer 'Gig' is being called a Gibibyte [GiB] now, in most of the rest of the world, but not the USA for some reason unknown to me. :blink:

Go figure . . . [sigh]

Thank you DG. That explains it perfectly.

Edited by CaliBluesman