Dvd Pic Quality Diminished?

Bvideo

Question

I import and burn dvd's in HQ and they are less than an hour in length. The video quality while previewing in MyDVD is great, but when I play the burned DVD on a TV the picture is clearly not as good. It actually appears to be the best when the most light was available in a scene, but stil I think this HAS to be related to the software. Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

The OP is using HQ quality; he is not doing any HD from what I read.

The TV is fine, it can candle it. I've tried it on different TV's, all Flat-screen, white screen LCD. It just never appears to be as good as when it plays on the computer. The only 2 options when burning are 704 and 720. Do either of those make a difference?

The software in general drives me crazy though. It is constantly freezing. And menu mode seems to never work right. Like inputing a button on the main page of a menued DVD for 'play all'. The very first time i started using Roxio i was able to get that button, now it won't show up. Anyone else have trouble with buttons? (they say in help menu that it relates to photoshop or other programs)

I don't understand the 704 part. The 720 is HD.

Are you making a standard definition disc (480) or an AVCHD or blu-ray disc? The videos played on your computer can be high definition but unless you burn and play a AVCHD or blu-ray disc (and have the player), then it will play at standard definition on your TV. If you have a upscaling blu-ray player, then it will be slightly better than 480 but not anywhere near HD.

I don't understand the 704 part. The 720 is HD.

Are you making a standard definition disc (480) or an AVCHD or blu-ray disc? The videos played on your computer can be high definition but unless you burn and play a AVCHD or blu-ray disc (and have the player), then it will play at standard definition on your TV. If you have a upscaling blu-ray player, then it will be slightly better than 480 but not anywhere near HD.

I'm making a 720 DVD. One of the players I have is a standard DVD player. I also have a PS3 that plays blu-ray. I'll try it again later, but it seems the standard DVD player is lesser quality when it plays it. I did not purposely burn a blu-ray or AVCHD.

I'm making a 720 DVD. One of the players I have is a standard DVD player. I also have a PS3 that plays blu-ray. I'll try it again later, but it seems the standard DVD player is lesser quality when it plays it. I did not purposely burn a blu-ray or AVCHD.

There is no such thing as a 720 DVD unless you are just copying files to a DVD. STandard DVDs are 480. Period, not way around it ! Industry standard.

If your videos are short (around 40 minutes) and your blu-ray player plays AVCHD discs (not all do) then consider the AVCHD type disc (how to). These are High Definition videos burned on standard discs with a standard burner and played back on AVCHD capable blu-ray DVD players. I'm pretty sure that PS3 will play AVCHD discs.

I assume you do not have a blu-ray burner on your computer.

Do the DVDs look better when played on your monitor vs your TV? If so, you probably have your answer. Are you using a blu-ray player to play a standard definition DVD? Some are notoriously bad about that.

How much in terms of time are you putting on the DVD?

Yes, the DVD looks perfect playing on my laptop compared to the TV. You would think it would have to do with what the resolution of the TV can handle? I'm not using a blu-ray play. And the DVD's are under 1hr. One is actually 59 minutes. Another is approx. 45.

Should they be well under an hour? Like 50 or 40 minutes. Does the less time on the DVD make it that much better quality picture?

Yes, the DVD looks perfect playing on my laptop compared to the TV. You would think it would have to do with what the resolution of the TV can handle? I'm not using a blu-ray play. And the DVD's are under 1hr. One is actually 59 minutes. Another is approx. 45.

Should they be well under an hour? Like 50 or 40 minutes. Does the less time on the DVD make it that much better quality picture?

It still looks like your TV or VHS player cannot handle the HD quality. Are they standard definition 480, or high definition 720 or 1080?

60 minutes or a little more are fine and as you said result in a great looking picture viewed on your monitor.

It still looks like your TV or VHS player cannot handle the HD quality. Are they standard definition 480, or high definition 720 or 1080?

60 minutes or a little more are fine and as you said result in a great looking picture viewed on your monitor.

The OP is using HQ quality; he is not doing any HD from what I read.

I import and burn dvd's in HQ and they are less than an hour in length. The video quality while previewing in MyDVD is great, but when I play the burned DVD on a TV the picture is clearly not as good. It actually appears to be the best when the most light was available in a scene, but stil I think this HAS to be related to the software. Any ideas?

Do the DVDs look better when played on your monitor vs your TV? If so, you probably have your answer. Are you using a blu-ray player to play a standard definition DVD? Some are notoriously bad about that.

How much in terms of time are you putting on the DVD?

Archived