Purchasing New Computer

outerbank

Question

Seeking input and guidance. Plans are to purchase a new computer. One of the computer brands being considered offers a free downgrade to XP professional from Win 7. I'm not displeased with Win XP or Creator 2009, which I already use. Wish to replace current computer because of limited HD capacity, memory and CPU operating speed. Are there any overriding reasons why this does not make sense? I understand that Creator 2009 does not work with Win 7. Is this correct?

Here are the three computers being considered: Hp Pavilion Elite HPE-240f, Dell Studio XPS 8100-959NBC, PoweSpec B818. The HP and PowerSpec have the Intel Core I5-650 and 760, respectively. The Dell contains the Intel Core I7-870 processor. They all have various ATI Radeon graphic cards; comparable amounts of memory, and they are all price within a couple hundred dollars of each other. The big difference that seems notable is weight. The Dell computer weighs nearly twice as much as the other two, with the HP weighing the least. The physical size of the housings are nearly the same.

Thanks.

19 answers to this question

Thanks for the input and the link to Velocity Micro. Haven't yet studied the details of this computer, but it looks tantalizing, especially the onshore tech help.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to upgrade my current computer (a 2002 model). Memory is maxed out at

1024MB, and only has a Pentium 4 CPU running at 1.8Ghz. The internal HD is only 60GB. Saving and encoding takes lots of time. It does have a separate graphics card. Have a Maxtor 500GB external HD attached, but it's beginning to fill up (lots of digital images and music on it plus previously created slide shows).

Was under the impression that Creator 2010 has blueray capability.

If you or anyone else has additional suggestions or recommendations, they're welcome.

Thanks for the input and the link to Velocity Micro. Haven't yet studied the details of this computer, but it looks tantalizing, especially the onshore tech help.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to upgrade my current computer (a 2002 model). Memory is maxed out at

1024MB, and only has a Pentium 4 CPU running at 1.8Ghz. The internal HD is only 60GB. Saving and encoding takes lots of time. It does have a separate graphics card. Have a Maxtor 500GB external HD attached, but it's beginning to fill up (lots of digital images and music on it plus previously created slide shows).

Was under the impression that Creator 2010 has blueray capability.

If you or anyone else has additional suggestions or recommendations, they're welcome.

You're right about not trying to upgrade your current computer, especially if you are looking at doing BD projects.

Creator 2010 Pro does have BD capabilities, but you can no longer get the BD playback plugin to play your burned BD projects on your computer. I would suggest going with a new computer (as your stated in your first post) and Creator 2011.

The velocitymicro computer that I linked to shows only a blu-ray player option. If you want blu-ray burning capabilities, you would have to contact them to see if it can be added. They are willing to work with you on things like that. Of course you can always get an external blu-ray burner. I think I have the last one Buffalo made (but it works great). :P

If the projects you burn to disc are typically only 40 minutes or so long, then read up on AVCHD discs that you make with a standard burner, standard discs but need a compatible blu-ray player attached to your TV. There is a great savings over blu-ray - no need for the burner and the blu-ray discs.

Purchased a new computer today. Here is the spec:

Intel Core i5-760, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 5450 w/512MB DDR3, LGSuperMulti 8xDBL DVD+/-RW burner. Hopefully, this is adequate to efficiently operate Roxio Creator 2011, which I plan on purchasing.

Any suggestions/cautions about transferring files from old computer to new computer? Are there any special steps required to transfer Creator 2009 produced project files to the new computer. I would like to preserve the work just recently completed on three slide shows. I presume that the three ISO Image files can be transferred. However, I would like to transfer the respective VideoWave files. Chose not to save the MyDVD files. As posted under Creator 2009 Capture and Burn DVDs, I experienced a blip in the sound track after burning an ISO Image file to DVD and subsequent playback, which has not been resolved even with input from the experts on this forum. Also hoping that the sound track blip doen't transfer along with the files.

Thanks

Purchased a new computer today. Here is the spec:

Intel Core i5-760, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 5450 w/512MB DDR3, LGSuperMulti 8xDBL DVD+/-RW burner. Hopefully, this is adequate to efficiently operate Roxio Creator 2011, which I plan on purchasing.

Any suggestions/cautions about transferring files from old computer to new computer? Are there any special steps required to transfer Creator 2009 produced project files to the new computer. I would like to preserve the work just recently completed on three slide shows. I presume that the three ISO Image files can be transferred. However, I would like to transfer the respective VideoWave files. Chose not to save the MyDVD files. As posted under Creator 2009 Capture and Burn DVDs, I experienced a blip in the sound track after burning an ISO Image file to DVD and subsequent playback, which has not been resolved even with input from the experts on this forum. Also hoping that the sound track blip doen't transfer along with the files.

Thanks

C2009 project files cannot be used in C2011 so you better complete the project in C2009.

No problems transferring iso files.

So it appears that there may be some choices to be made. I would like to retain the Creator 2009 VideoWave project files in case they need to be modified, hopefully to eliminate the sound track problem that was encountered after burning to disk. The problem is posted elsewhere on this forum. I have the downgrade rites to Win XP professional SP3 with this new computer. Does Creator 2010 have the capability of reading Creator 2009 project files using Win XP professional? I'm not that interested in doing 3D, or posting videos on UTube. If neither year Creator software packages have this capability, I suppose my only recourse is to just start over.

So it appears that there may be some choices to be made. I would like to retain the Creator 2009 VideoWave project files in case they need to be modified, hopefully to eliminate the sound track problem that was encountered after burning to disk. The problem is posted elsewhere on this forum. I have the downgrade rites to Win XP professional SP3 with this new computer. Does Creator 2010 have the capability of reading Creator 2009 project files using Win XP professional? I'm not that interested in doing 3D, or posting videos on UTube. If neither year Creator software packages have this capability, I suppose my only recourse is to just start over.

Project files from one Roxio version are not compatible with any other Roxio version. That part has has nothing to do with your operating system.

This is one of the major complaints against Roxio software: the inability to use previous project files or having a small utility that would convert from one version to another.

Not certain I should continue this dialogue here, but decided it is a continuation of the discussioon about purchasing a new computer and what Roxio software to use.

Went to Amazon website. Here are the Creator 2010 software they show;

Creator 2010 (old version) for Win7/Vista/XP

Creator 2010 Pro (old version) for Win7/Vista/XP

Creator 2010 Special Edition w/ VHS to DVD Adapter for XP/XP Pro

The selling price for each is comparable. So that's not a consideration. It appears the Special Edition isn't compatible with Win 7. Is this correct, or is it a misprint? Based on what is described, the Special Edition version has the VHS to DVD Adapter which is appealing to me. Do the other two versions have the same VHS to DVD conversion capability, presumably with a suitable VHS to DVD adapter?

Not certain I should continue this dialogue here, but decided it is a continuation of the discussioon about purchasing a new computer and what Roxio software to use.

Went to Amazon website. Here are the Creator 2010 software they show;

Creator 2010 (old version) for Win7/Vista/XP

Creator 2010 Pro (old version) for Win7/Vista/XP

Creator 2010 Special Edition w/ VHS to DVD Adapter for XP/XP Pro

The selling price for each is comparable. So that's not a consideration. It appears the Special Edition isn't compatible with Win 7. Is this correct, or is it a misprint? Based on what is described, the Special Edition version has the VHS to DVD Adapter which is appealing to me. Do the other two versions have the same VHS to DVD conversion capability, presumably with a suitable VHS to DVD adapter?

Did you notice that the picture of the box for the Creator 2010 Special Edition w/ VHS to DVD Adapter is not for that version, but is for Creator 2009. Maybe a phone call to Amazon is in order to find out what is correct.C2009 is not compatible with Win 7.

post-68-093089600 1294944311.png

Also maybe this will appeal to you http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11596193&search=roxio&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=roxio&Ntt=roxio&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

The lack of compatability from older to newer versions is unfortunate. It would seem that VideoWave and MyDVD would be fundamental construction programs. I guess that I'll have to manually document which digital images were used and in what sequence. Presumably, the audio files created using Sound Editor are also incompatible.

Thanks. Your input has been very helpful.

The lack of compatability from older to newer versions is unfortunate. It would seem that VideoWave and MyDVD would be fundamental construction programs. I guess that I'll have to manually document which digital images were used and in what sequence. Presumably, the audio files created using Sound Editor are also incompatible.

Your audio files will work with any version of Sound Editor. Roxio got it right with the .dmse files, if that is what you are talking about when you say files.

If you are talking about the audio files made, when you export to a .wav, mp3...., those will work anywhere.

Actually you can use previous project files (I think from EMC 10 on) in C2011. It is that transitions, effects, etc. do not seem to work properly and you will have to redo all of those. The correct images and the loading sequence will be correct. Also any video and/or audio files that were created with earlier version will also be fine. The problems occur mainly with project files from Videowave and myDVD. I don't know how compatible project files from other programs are.

Now you guys have me confused. I've created slide shows using Creator 2009 in VideoWave. These are designated as .dmsm. Can they be used with either Creator 2010 and/or 2011? I also have some Video_TS files saved of previous projects. Are these usable? I know that ISO Image files can be used, and now I know that .dmse file are usable. And just what iin the heck is EMC10, etc.? Is this a different Roxio program, or does this refer to Creator software? On the matter of losing transitions, etc., that doesn't concern me. I would like to be able to preserve the image sequence as they appear in Storyline. Adding transitions and music tracks is the easy part of any project.

To make it simple to understand, just what files used to create projects in Creator 2009 are compatible with Creator 2011? You know the cliche....KISS, keep it simple stupid?

Now you guys have me confused. I've created slide shows using Creator 2009 in VideoWave. These are designated as .dmsm. Can they be used with either Creator 2010 and/or 2011? I also have some Video_TS files saved of previous projects. Are these usable? I know that ISO Image files can be used, and now I know that .dmse file are usable. And just what iin the heck is EMC10, etc.? Is this a different Roxio program, or does this refer to Creator software? On the matter of losing transitions, etc., that doesn't concern me. I would like to be able to preserve the image sequence as they appear in Storyline. Adding transitions and music tracks is the easy part of any project.

To make it simple to understand, just what files used to create projects in Creator 2009 are compatible with Creator 2011? You know the cliche....KISS, keep it simple stupid?

It isn't the files you use, it's the transitions, etc. that you use, that determine the compatibility. And, whatever one version, vs the other version, does, when it saves the file. I have found some transitions that don't work, with a dmsm file, created in a previous version, but I have never seen a change in the image sequence.

So, there really is no answer to the last question that you asked. It is something that you have to find out for yourself.

BTW, EMC 10 is Easy Media Creator 10, which is an earlier version of Roxio software.

Thank you for the clarification. After reading the last couple of responses, I came to the same conclusion that I would see what happens when accessing these projects in VideoWave. I believe you guys have done a great job answering, what may seem to you to be stupid questions. I suppose you can anticipate that my next inquiries will be about Creator 2011, unless I choose to return this software and purchase the 2010 version.

Thank you for the clarification. After reading the last couple of responses, I came to the same conclusion that I would see what happens when accessing these projects in VideoWave. I believe you guys have done a great job answering, what may seem to you to be stupid questions. I suppose you can anticipate that my next inquiries will be about Creator 2011, unless I choose to return this software and purchase the 2010 version.

There is nothing stupid about your questions. We have all asked why Roxio why they refuse to provide backwards compatibility.

Go ahead and ask your questions about Creator 2011, but please post them in the Creator 2011 forums. We will be there to try to answer your questions.

Seeking input and guidance. Plans are to purchase a new computer. One of the computer brands being considered offers a free downgrade to XP professional from Win 7. I'm not displeased with Win XP or Creator 2009, which I already use. Wish to replace current computer because of limited HD capacity, memory and CPU operating speed. Are there any overriding reasons why this does not make sense? I understand that Creator 2009 does not work with Win 7. Is this correct?

Here are the three computers being considered: Hp Pavilion Elite HPE-240f, Dell Studio XPS 8100-959NBC, PoweSpec B818. The HP and PowerSpec have the Intel Core I5-650 and 760, respectively. The Dell contains the Intel Core I7-870 processor. They all have various ATI Radeon graphic cards; comparable amounts of memory, and they are all price within a couple hundred dollars of each other. The big difference that seems notable is weight. The Dell computer weighs nearly twice as much as the other two, with the HP weighing the least. The physical size of the housings are nearly the same.

Thanks.

You didn't say what you had but if you want so save $$, consider upgrading the computer you have. Hard drive space and memory is easy; it would depend on your mother board for what CPU you can put into it. Depending on the power supply, you may be able to stick a better video card in it also.

That is correct Creator 2009 is NOT compatible with W7. Both Creator 2010 and Creator 2011 are. If you are not interested in working/viewing 3D, then Creator 2010 might be something to consider. You may be able to get that cheaper (from someplace like Amazon) since it is the old version. Make sure it is the full version and not a cut down version. If you buy Creator 2011 from the Roxio on line store, you have up to 30 days to return it AND you get free telephone tech support for a time after you do buy it.

Go for the Pro if you want blu-ray and some extras.

As for computers, it is a toss up. Intel just came out with their second generation "i" chips and they are slightly cheaper. You may have to wait for a shot time until they are available. I have no t heard about PowerSpec.

Look at these also; I think they are well built. This (link) is in the same ballpark as the others but I think it is still available. Also you can upgrade it a you would like.

Consider a better graphics card and a separate audio card. Modern audio chips are very good however.

Archived