• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Writing Issues

ronf423

Question

this is a new program to me that i just purchased. i followed the book and tried to convert a vhs tape yesterday. Every time it would tell me the i have a writing issue and when i put the disc in a dvd player it would tell me i had a bad disc or would do nothing. i am not sure what i am doing wrong. i hooked everything up per the book. i hit play on the vcr and can view it on the computer screen. hit record and it starts "recording". i am using dvd-r discs that have 120 minute and 4.7gb memory. it usually runs for a little over an hour and then a message comes up saying "there was a problem writing to the disc". i tried to do this several times and i find it hard to believe that all those discs were bad. can ANYONE tell me what i might be doing wrong??

15 answers to this question

i have no sound when i first start the recording. i would think that i would be able to hear the tape. the audio is picking up other sounds in the house and recording that. I tried to record the video and play it on my computer. all there is is the image and no sound. I have a compac laptop with windows 7 home. i am not sure about all the other specs. i can pull the info if you think it makes a difference. your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

ron f

thanks again jim. turning off the mic seemed to work. now on to the next problem. when i burn the disc they seem to work on the computer but not on a dvd player. when i burn write them everything seems to work except for the playing protion of it. any ideas from the "guru"

thanks

ron

Specs for the Media (Brand? Type?)

You did say DVD-R in your first post, is that still true?

What Players have you been able to try it on?

We never did determine your Version or Build of software???

along those lines, how about a step by step listing of how you got it from Tape to Disc :P

Could be something in the steps and with this info we might know what to suggest next ;)

First thing you want to do is get a disc or 2 of DVD RW media to learn on.

Then you want to forget about Plug & Burn…

It works for the really simple stuff and an expertance user can usually get by with it, but most of us found out a long time ago, Capture – Edit – Save was the way to go!!!

Disc capacity is a lot less than you have been led to believe!

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

You are starting with a VHS tape so your quality is not very good to start with. If you use less than HQ it will degrade VERY quickly!f

If you don’t adjust your settings to fit the disc BEFORE you start recording, you will have problems. I never tried it, couldn’t see any point in doing it wrong :lol:

With that in mind, try Record – Edit – Save, preferably with an RW disc, and see what happens.

I am using verbatim dvd-r discs. at first when i was burning them on the disc they would try to play but it would play/stop/play/stop etc. some times it would would say bad disc on the screen. the funny thing is that it will play on the computer with no problems.

i then tried to compress the the file using avi compression that i downloaded for free online. it compressed the files just fine but had the same result as above. it asks what format i want to burn it in. there are may options ( .vob, .inf etc)

i transferred the the tape with roxie using the edit record save as you suggested in an earlier post. everything seemed to work fine there. i have sound, picture etc.

thanks

ron

if i can not compress then do i have to save it in 1 hour increments on the disc. i went to best buy and tried to buy teh 8 gig discs but they told me that the only way to get 8 gig discs are a double layer and you need a special burner for that. True??

even on the ones that i burned to the 4.7 and were not compressed did not work in my dvd player. some tried to work but would be that stop and go result or would say "bad disc". i even tried it on 3 different players so i do not think it is the player.

also, every disc seems to work on the computer (both regular and compressed.

very puzzled

ron

if i can not compress then do i have to save it in 1 hour increments on the disc. i went to best buy and tried to buy teh 8 gig discs but they told me that the only way to get 8 gig discs are a double layer and you need a special burner for that. True??

even on the ones that i burned to the 4.7 and were not compressed did not work in my dvd player. some tried to work but would be that stop and go result or would say "bad disc". i even tried it on 3 different players so i do not think it is the player.

also, every disc seems to work on the computer (both regular and compressed.

very puzzled

ron

You need a DL burner to use those 8gb DVDs otherwise they are just coasters for you.

Could you please give a step-by-step description of how your are burning your video to DVD. I don't understand what you mean by "compressed". Please explain what you are doing in regards to compressing the video. If you are creating a video DVD then Jim has listed the DVD capacities available for you. If you are using the "fit-to-disc" quality setting then you are using the worst quality setting and that may be the source of your problems.

You have yet to provide your Version or Build of software...

Yes a DL disc requires a Burner capable of DL burning. I don't think you can even buy one these days that is not DL ready.

I gave you a list of time & capacity for a DVD. If yo use anything but HQ it will fit by sacrificing quality...

Did you think there was some magic compression method that was a free lunch?

I also think you need to outline, step by step, what you are doing as there is no reason that V2D would burn a non compliant disc.

i guess i may not understand waht you mean by version or build. I am using windows 7 and roxie easy vhs to dvd software.

as far as compressing. i downloaded a software off the internet and was able to make a 7gig file to about 500000 meg. i would use the program that came with the laptop(i would have to check to see what the name of it is) and move the file and click "burn". seems like it should be a simple process and probably is. I am just missing something(obviously).

i have the same issues whether i try to burn the file that i compressed or if i try to burn a file that is 4 gig.

The weird thing is that i have no problem playing the video on that or another computer.

should i think about buying a dl external burner. will that even solve my problem.

i appreciate your patience and help.

Ron

i guess i may not understand waht you mean by version or build. I am using windows 7 and roxie easy vhs to dvd software.

as far as compressing. i downloaded a software off the internet and was able to make a 7gig file to about 500000 meg. i would use the program that came with the laptop(i would have to check to see what the name of it is) and move the file and click "burn". seems like it should be a simple process and probably is. I am just missing something(obviously).

i have the same issues whether i try to burn the file that i compressed or if i try to burn a file that is 4 gig.

The weird thing is that i have no problem playing the video on that or another computer.

should i think about buying a dl external burner. will that even solve my problem.

i appreciate your patience and help.

Ron

Ron 500000 MB is 488.28125 Gigabytes, or approximately half a terabyte..

Why no concentrate on the Roxio software?

Open Device manager and list you burner ID's exactly as they are listed. See pic below.

post-97-071808300 1297712065.jpg

thank you jim. i seem to be at least on the right track. i have been able to use the capture edit save way but there is no sound. i have the cables hooked up correctly. any ideas???

thanks

Ron F

First thing you want to do is get a disc or 2 of DVD RW media to learn on.

Then you want to forget about Plug & Burn…

It works for the really simple stuff and an expertance user can usually get by with it, but most of us found out a long time ago, Capture – Edit – Save was the way to go!!!

Disc capacity is a lot less than you have been led to believe!

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

You are starting with a VHS tape so your quality is not very good to start with. If you use less than HQ it will degrade VERY quickly!f

If you don’t adjust your settings to fit the disc BEFORE you start recording, you will have problems. I never tried it, couldn’t see any point in doing it wrong :lol:

With that in mind, try Record – Edit – Save, preferably with an RW disc, and see what happens.

Archived