Roxio Burn Did Not Detect A Cd

echo7

Question

As far as I know it used to work. I have had a lot of trouble with this Gateway 59NV laptop. I've had to send it back for repair 3 times so far. Just got it back and I'm still trying to sort out problems. This last time they replaced the motherboard, heat sink, downgraded me from the I5 processor I had to an I3.

When I got it back the computer didn't recognize the cd/dvd. Microsoft tried to update drivers but it came back and said the most current drivers were already installed. After a lot of other attempts to upgrade, reinstall or otherwise get it to work I ran across a some information that said to go into the registry and if there was a "upper limit" and "lower limit" delete both of them and reboot.

That worked, the cd/dvd now works.

But when I tried to make some disk copies and format some disk Roxio didn't work.

I got an error message Roxio Burn did not detect a CD,DVD or bluray on your computer.

Roxio came bundled with this computer so I don't have a disk to reinstall Roxio. I don't have a clue what kind or version it is either

Anybody have any ideas where to start trying to trouble shoot this?

9 answers to this question

Never mind Dell - check this web page sometime :lol:

http://www.xoticpc.com/laptop-manufacturers-really-makes-laptops-ip-11.html

You have all heard of National Brand laptop's on the market today; such as Alienware/Dell, HP, Toshiba, Compaq and Sony. It may be surprising but none of these companies actually manufacture their own laptop's. These National Brand companies purchase their laptops from an ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) such as Clevo, Compal, Asus, MSI, Quanta, Wistron, Mitac, Arima and Inventec. The ODM's design & manufacture the machine and sell it to these National Brand companies as a barebones system. The National Brand companies then customize the system with a Processors, Hard Drives, Ram, DVD Drive, Wireless, Bluetooth along with other internal accessories, then install a Microsoft Operating System and label it and market it as their own. Most of these National Brand companies force you to purchase a Microsoft Operating System regardless if you have one already or not.

As far as I know it used to work. I have had a lot of trouble with this Gateway 59NV laptop. I've had to send it back for repair 3 times so far. Just got it back and I'm still trying to sort out problems. This last time they replaced the motherboard, heat sink, downgraded me from the I5 processor I had to an I3.

When I got it back the computer didn't recognize the cd/dvd. Microsoft tried to update drivers but it came back and said the most current drivers were already installed. After a lot of other attempts to upgrade, reinstall or otherwise get it to work I ran across a some information that said to go into the registry and if there was a "upper limit" and "lower limit" delete both of them and reboot.

That worked, the cd/dvd now works.

But when I tried to make some disk copies and format some disk Roxio didn't work.

I got an error message Roxio Burn did not detect a CD,DVD or bluray on your computer.

Roxio came bundled with this computer so I don't have a disk to reinstall Roxio. I don't have a clue what kind or version it is either

Anybody have any ideas where to start trying to trouble shoot this?

Even though it is a Roxio program, Gateway is responsible for the support, but after what you have said, I sure wouldn't expect anything out of them. If what you said is true, they just put the screws to you, and I would go after them for a computer that you paid for.

Aside from that, download and install the PXengine, in the following link:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20...mation/000070GN&PARAMS=

Yeah they really screwed me. I went through the BBB after the first two times. Gateway/Acers response was... send it in a third time and we will fix it that's it.

So when it started randomly shutting down I finally sent it in. They took out the I5 processor and put in an I3, put in a different motherboard, heatsink and flashed the BIOS.

So far it hasn't crashed or shutoff by itself so I'm just trying to work with it.

The farther up the corporate "customer support" ladder the more their attitude was... stfu and quit bothering us. It was without exception the worst customer support I've ever had.

After the fact I find out Acer bought Gateway and emachine a few years back. They recently bought a 76% controlling interest in Hewlett Packard too.

So Dell and Apple are the only two US companies left making computers. If my experience is any indication then I would say Acer is going to drive the Gateway brand right into the ground with their own cheap parts and milk the value of the Gateway name until people realize Gateway is long gone. Nobody would have spent anything "extra" to buy a taiwan made acer, but that exactly whats under the hood of a gateway sticker on the case.

BTW.. When I went to uninstall Roxio there was a "repair" option on the uninstall. I clicked that and it reinstalled, When I restarted it, it started and worked fine.

Yeah they really screwed me. I went through the BBB after the first two times. Gateway/Acers response was... send it in a third time and we will fix it that's it.

So when it started randomly shutting down I finally sent it in. They took out the I5 processor and put in an I3, put in a different motherboard, heatsink and flashed the BIOS.

So far it hasn't crashed or shutoff by itself so I'm just trying to work with it.

The farther up the corporate "customer support" ladder the more their attitude was... stfu and quit bothering us. It was without exception the worst customer support I've ever had.

After the fact I find out Acer bought Gateway and emachine a few years back. They recently bought a 76% controlling interest in Hewlett Packard too.

So Dell and Apple are the only two US companies left making computers. If my experience is any indication then I would say Acer is going to drive the Gateway brand right into the ground with their own cheap parts and milk the value of the Gateway name until people realize Gateway is long gone. Nobody would have spent anything "extra" to buy a taiwan made acer, but that exactly whats under the hood of a gateway sticker on the case.

BTW.. When I went to uninstall Roxio there was a "repair" option on the uninstall. I clicked that and it reinstalled, When I restarted it, it started and worked fine.

Where did you get the news that Acer bought 75% of HP? As far as I know it was 75% of Packard Bell for a $45 million (and then only the European division). I am sure 75% of HP would be a few "Billion" more.

BTW, where do you think Gateway got their cheap parts?

Well anyway, it's good to see that you have the software working fine, now.

Archived