Disc Information Not Recognizing Dvd

Frejus

Question

Looking to see if someone can shed light on an issue I am having. I am using Roxio Easy CD DVD Burner, version 10.3. My Windows 7 Pro, Dell computer and CD DVD + - RW DL burner are one year old and have no problems with other DVD authoring using Easy Burner. I have a DVD of my home movies that I had my local store/photo lab create. I want to make copies for the family. The Disc Info module will indicate "reading", then states "no disc". Tried to make a copy anyway, and nothing happens. This DVD plays in Windows Media Player and my standalone DVD player. Checking the disc contents in Windows Explorer shows the usual Video TS folder and BUP, IFO and VOB files inside. The store made this DVD from a four hour VHS tape, and all the intended video is on it. Any ideas why Easy Burner is not recognizing this DVD so I can copy it? I'm certain the disk used by the lab is a DVD-R, closed, multiborder, as I have other from the same source, which work. Thanx.

6 answers to this question

If the Roxio program isn't seeing the drive follow this.

http://forums.suppor...ive-recognized/

Thank you cd. I did not try the patch yet because my Roxio program does see the drive. I can look at and burn other DVDs right now. It is just this one disk from the store/photo lab that I am having this issue with. I'm suspecting it has something to do with the disk, and I was wondering if you knew what it could be. Why would it play in WMP and other players, but can't be read by Easy Burner?

If the disc plays in WMP and it's in the same DVD Drive as it is when Roxio doesn't see the disc?

I would run the patch anyway won't hurt anything, I've did it myself on a working system with no problem.

Does your Roxio software have a utility to make a image file from the disc, try that?

Or make a folder on your hard drive and use windows explorer to copy and paste the contents from the disc to the folder. If that works without read errors, it points to the Roxio software being the problem not the disc.

If the disc plays in WMP and it's in the same DVD Drive as it is when Roxio doesn't see the disc? Correct. The disc is in the same drive, only drive, that it plays in WMP but is not read by Roxio.

I would run the patch anyway won't hurt anything, I've did it myself on a working system with no problem. Not ready for this yet. Have a workaround below.

Does your Roxio software have a utility to make a image file from the disc, try that? Yes, and I tried to make a disc image, but nothing happened. Presumably Roxio is not seeing this disk under that scenario either.

Or make a folder on your hard drive and use windows explorer to copy and paste the contents from the disc to the folder. If that works without read errors, it points to the Roxio software being the problem not the disc. Okay, I copied the disk contents using Windows Explorer, and they all copied to my hard drive.

Here is a workaround I found. I found that by using the Capture Video module, Easy Burner read the disk in the drive, and allowed me to save the clips im mpg format on my hard drive. Even broke it into chapters for me LOL. So far I'm happy. Then I tried to create a DVD using Roxio MyDVD Express. It would have worked except for the old bugaboo that AC3 audio is not supported, and my DVD would have been a silent film. Now I'm not happy. So I turned to Windows DVD Maker that came with my machine, and I was able to create a DVD with that. This new DVD plays in WMP and my standalone player. Now I am basically happy, although we still don't know why Roxio could not read the disk in the other modules. As for Roxio software being the problem, I think not, and see the next post.

Have you tried calling the lab and asking if they did something when they made the disc so it can't be copied?Not likely but not out of the question.Especially if it's that one disc you have troubles with.

Thanx for your review. I did not try to find out who the lab is and whether I should call them. I have a feeling they will not try to help, but here is the real reason. This same lab created a disk of my home VHS movies last month, a different earlier disk, that worked in Roxio Easy Burner. I stupidly ruined that disk by accidentally putting it on top of another disk in my drive, and the recording side got severely scuffed such that portions of the movie file won't play. So I took the same VHS tape back to the same store, had a new DVD disk made. From the looks of the new job disk, it is the same type and coloring as the original job, and the software used in the lab appears to be the same. Yet the new disk is not seen by Roxio, but the earlier disk was. That is what is wierd about the situation. I will just chalk it up to "just one of those things".

Archived