Creator 2010, Creator 2010 Special Edition, Creator 2011

outerbank

Question

Just purchased a new computer. Used Creator 2009 on my old computer. Want to upgrade software. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

1. How many versions of Creator 2010 exist? If there is more than one version, how do you tell the difference? I am asking this question based on one posting on the forum that seems to allude there is an earlier version of this software.

2. Is it worthwhile purchasing Creator 2010 Special Edition, which includes the UBS device for downloading videos to this software?

3. Besides the addition of 3D and blueray capability, are there any compelling functional reasons for going with Creator 2011 rather than 2010?

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Yes, I did stay with Win XP. It's difficult to change when you've used it for a significant number of years. The computer came loaded with Win 7. Spent some time touring it, but really didn't see an advantage. Plus I have a lot of software that I use which most likely doesn't work with Win 7.

I did go to the C2011 installation instructions to read it. Then went to update as suggested. Found that there are 2 critcal updates.

One for Explorer 8, the other for .Net Framework 4, Client Profile for Win XP x86.

The other updates are optional; two are hardware

ITE Umass Storage Device 330

KME Inc. USB Human Interface Device

Six others are software that include;

One that has to be installed separately: Microsoft .Net framework 4 Client Profile for Win XP x86 (KB982670), and the other 5 are:

Update for Root Certificate (KB931125)

Updae for WinXP (KB 971513)...refers to Win 7 - Windows Automation API

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 & .net Framework 3.5 Family update (KB951847) x86

Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)

Microsoft .Net framework version 1.1: appears to be for software developers

Are any of these updates needed to successfully install 2011? I know that a .Net Framwork that was on my previous computer really screwed a reinstallation of C2009 after my computer crashed. So I'm wary of installing any .Net framework update.

Ahh, yes. Am I okay? That's the 64 dollar question that I guess I will learn.

Okay...? Thought that I might receive some comments about the updates indicated in my previous post. Are any of them vital to the successful installation of Creator 2011? Or, is it recommended that I should begin posting questions about installing Creator 2011 elsewhere? You guys have been very helpful. Don't abandon me now.

Creator 2010 has been out of production for many months now...

2011 is the current version.

"normally" Roxio only sells 2 versions on the web site, Creator 2011 & Creator 2011 Pro.

Any other versions are strictly Retail. That means the return polcy is up to the store!

The SE is great, IF you actually need a A/D Converter capture device... But it lacks the Pro features.

Just purchased a new computer. Used Creator 2009 on my old computer. Want to upgrade software. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

1. How many versions of Creator 2010 exist? If there is more than one version, how do you tell the difference? I am asking this question based on one posting on the forum that seems to allude there is an earlier version of this software.

2. Is it worthwhile purchasing Creator 2010 Special Edition, which includes the UBS device for downloading videos to this software?

3. Besides the addition of 3D and blueray capability, are there any compelling functional reasons for going with Creator 2011 rather than 2010?

Thanks

Is that your new computer in your signature? If so, you are running XP and all are compatible including Creator 2009.

1) There is a standard version of Creator 2009 and a Pro version which has some valuable extras. There may be a Plus version that is missing some features. As you know, the SE version has the video capture device (analog to digital converter) for capture of analog video. The newest - Creator 2011 - gives you 3D and the ability to steady videos that are shot with the minicams and that are jittery. There is the standard and pro versions. I don't know if there is a Creator 2011 Plus. The Pro version has back up software, Sound Soap for cleaning audio and SonicFire to create you own versions of the music.

Many newer computers come with a Creator 10.x (two letter suffix) for example Creator 10.3 which is a OEM piece of software updated for use with W7. It is cut down. The best thing to do with it is to remove it if it is on your computer.

3) Do you have analog devices you want to capture video from (VHS players, analog camcorders, etc)?. If so, then it is worth it unless you have another A/D converter that will work.

4) If you have a lots of friends that watch your videos, then 3D is "in". You can get blu-ray with Creator 2010 didn't Creator 2009 have the ability also? Remember that you can burn blu-ray with Creator 2011 if you have the blu-ray burner but you would still need the plug in to play blu-ray. I already mentioned the steady video feature in Video Wave.

I have a hunch that wile I'm typing this, someone else is also replying. Let see if we agree! :P

I do have quite a bit of VHS material that I have been itching to get on DVD. I also have quite a bit of Super 8mm movies that have been transferred to VHS that should go to DVD. I've put off doing anything with these because of the limitations of my previous computer. I do have an Adaptec AVC-2210 converter device. I've never used it and I'm not sure it's compatible with Creator software. That's why I'm asking about the Creator Special Edition software. Having blu-ray capabilities isn't high on my agenda. Neither is 3D. Viewing 3D through colored glasses gives me a headache. The sound editing features certainly would be desirable. A backup operation also isn't a necessity since I already have backup capabilities. Unless there is something that is special about the Creator backup operation. However, what I really want to know is...are there any improved functional differences between C2010 and C2011? There's one comment that often appears on the web when surfing for opinions about Creator 2011. It's "bloatware". However, I am familiar with Roxio Creator software and I'm not interested in going through another tedious learning curve using another brand video editing software.

[snip]

However, what I really want to know is...are there any improved functional differences between C2010 and C2011? There's one comment that often appears on the web when surfing for opinions about Creator 2011. It's "bloatware". However, I am familiar with Roxio Creator software and I'm not interested in going through another tedious learning curve using another brand video editing software.

You can browse the comparisons, between the 2 versions, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/pro/why-upgrade.html

Thanks for the reference to the comparison chart. It was helpful. However, can anyone tell me what the different colored dots mean that are shown for each feature? I couldn't find any indication on the page showing the comparisons. Presumably, a blue dot means the described feature is included. It isn't apparent what a green or grey colored dot means.

To further define my previous question about any fundamental process changes within the newer versions, are any editing procedures/processes made faster, more stable, and/or easier? For example, have any improvements been made to VideoWave, MyDVD, DVD burning operations? Many of the differences shown in the product comparison chart are merely add-ons and not necessarily improvements to the fundamental functions within Creator software.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reference to the comparison chart. It was helpful. However, can anyone tell me what the different colored dots mean that are shown for each feature? I couldn't find any indication on the page showing the comparisons. Presumably, a blue dot means the described feature is included. It isn't apparent what a green or grey colored dot means.

To further define my previous question about any fundamental process changes within the newer versions, are any editing procedures/processes made faster, more stable, and/or easier? For example, have any improvements been made to VideoWave, MyDVD, DVD burning operations? Many of the differences shown in the product comparison chart are merely add-ons and not necessarily improvements to the fundamental functions within Creator software.

Thanks.

All you have to do is look UNDER the bar below the top text ! :blink:

You can barely see it but Blue = new, green = improved. grey - same old/same old

Although it doesn't show it, Roxio made improvements in the installation (if you follow the procedures) and the repair function. What do you mean by improvements to the basic functions? What did you want to see improved?

There are not a lot of green dots ! :P

As described in my previous post, what I would classify as fundamental functions are VideoWave, MyDvd, etc. I'm talking about working functions. Have they been improved since, say Creator 2009? I'm not sure I can define what improvements I'm looking, but companies often seek to improve upon what they did in the past.

Yeah! I did miss the definitions of the colored dots. My bad.

In any event, I believe my choice of whether to go with a 2010 version or the newest 2011 version has been made.

As described in my previous post, what I would classify as fundamental functions are VideoWave, MyDvd, etc. I'm talking about working functions. Have they been improved since, say Creator 2009? I'm not sure I can define what improvements I'm looking, but companies often seek to improve upon what they did in the past.

Yeah! I did miss the definitions of the colored dots. My bad.

In any event, I believe my choice of whether to go with a 2010 version or the newest 2011 version has been made.

I hope you are going with 2011 because C2010 is "last years model" and does not even appear anymore on Roxio's website as being for sale.

I did choose Creator 2011. You mention something about following installation instructions. I haven't yet purchased C2011. Will do it tomorrow. However, I'm curious about these installation instructions. Are they perhaps posted anywhere on Roxio's website? I wouldn't mind studying these instructions beforehand.

Archived