I Don't Have Permission ? ? ? ?

blurijj

Question

HI,

Just tried to update my Toast 9.0.2 to Toast 9.0.7.

I have MaxOSX 10.6.5

First when I drag the file Toast 907a-260 updater.dmg into my applications folder I get a message

saying "A newer item named Toast 9 Titanium already exists in this location.

Do you want to replace it with the older one you are moving ?"

How can that be if my current version is 9.0.2 ?

So I checked replace and then I get this message

"This operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

I bought Toast 9. It's not a copy. What gives ?

And how compatible is Toast 9 to Snow Leopard anyway ?

I just updated to MacOSX 10.6.5

Am getting freezes when I try to burn eyetvhd files that have been exported out of eyetv as Toast files

to be then burned on Toast.

Have been thinking about getting Toast 10 but if it is as buggy as Toast 9 not so sure.

Thanks for any help

7 answers to this question

Hello Tsantsee,

Interesting that we have similar goals - sharing HD sports events.

Thanks for your WD suggestion, but surprisingly my son is even less

tekkie perspicacious than ole dad. I don't even think his own brain waves are wireless.

So I will go the Blu-Ray route.

You did mention encoding to HD720.

What is the difference between HD720 and HD1080p because in eyeTVHD the h.264/avc technical specs

for both 720 and 1080 are identical and take up the same amount of space.

Is the only difference for those who have HD720 tv screens and those who have HD1080 ?

And why are there not Universal flash drives or hard drives that work both on Macs and PCs ?

Is that day coming ? As I mentioned before I was debating sending flash drives back and forth

but there seem to be major limitations on file size and computer platform.

For example - a 16gb flash drive, although 16gb, will not allow a file size greater than 4gb I believe.

Anyways one cannot put a 12gb file on a 16gb flash drive which seems strange.

Have really enjoyed the back and forth with you Tsantsee.

My son, poor guy, lives in Hawaii and I want to send him the recent Little League World Championship game

which had Hawaii in the finals. Thanks for all the help in getting me there.

Pete

Rename the older Toast folder and then drag in the new one. That way you aren't replacing the old one and you won't get those messages. After you've launched the new version and are satisfied that it is working fine, trash the old folder.

The latest update to Toast 9 should work fine on your Mac. Hopefully using the update will cure the freeze issue. You can also access the EyeTV files from within Toast by selecting EyeTV from the Toast Media Browser. If that also fails you can export the EyeTV video from within EyeTV as a MPEG 2 program stream and drag that to Toast.

Thank you for your help. I was able to upgrade to Toast 9.0.7 by placing the dmg file directly inside the old Toast folder instead of just throwing it in Mac Applications.

And I also encoded the eyetvHD recording into Apple TV format instead of the Toast option and that resulting file placed in Toast will burn.

Wonder why the Toast option doesn't work?

Anyways very glad to get your help and letting me know about the Verbatim DL disks and that they work in dvd players.

My present concern is trying to burn HD videos onto a dvd disk. I really haven't found a way to do it other than buying a

blu-ray burner which will make HD disks playable on a blu ray player or PS3.

We are in a High Definition ( now 3-D )age, but there seem to be very limited ways to record HD and transfer it apart from computer to computer -

and even that gets tricky sending from my Mac to another's PC. Even flash drives and small hard drives are PC or OSX specific and

file sizes are limited. Will we ever get beyond this you think?

thank you again very much for taking the time to help me out.

Could I also ask you if there are other blu-ray burning software out there other than Toast 10 ?

Does Nero make software for OSX ? Any you could recommend apart from Toast? I wish I could trust Toast more.

Hello Tsantsee,

Interesting that we have similar goals - sharing HD sports events.

Thanks for your WD suggestion, but surprisingly my son is even less

tekkie perspicacious than ole dad. I don't even think his own brain waves are wireless.

So I will go the Blu-Ray route.

You did mention encoding to HD720.

What is the difference between HD720 and HD1080p because in eyeTVHD the h.264/avc technical specs

for both 720 and 1080 are identical and take up the same amount of space.

Is the only difference for those who have HD720 tv screens and those who have HD1080 ?

And why are there not Universal flash drives or hard drives that work both on Macs and PCs ?

Is that day coming ? As I mentioned before I was debating sending flash drives back and forth

but there seem to be major limitations on file size and computer platform.

For example - a 16gb flash drive, although 16gb, will not allow a file size greater than 4gb I believe.

Anyways one cannot put a 12gb file on a 16gb flash drive which seems strange.

Have really enjoyed the back and forth with you Tsantsee.

My son, poor guy, lives in Hawaii and I want to send him the recent Little League World Championship game

which had Hawaii in the finals. Thanks for all the help in getting me there.

Pete

It's still a work in progress for me, too. Your source video is either 1080i or 720p so to make it 1080p is to upscale it. In addition, the additional size makes for more data that the player must decode which increases the chance of stuttering. So making it 720p seems ideal for me.

You are correct about the file-size limitation with the PC-formatted discs. I forgot about that. The UDF format (which Toast calls DVD-Rom (UDF) in the Data window I think overcomes this and it is the same with Macs and PCs.

Sitting in an ocean front motel right now on the Oregon Coast. Rain and socked in. Tomorrow will be nicer.

My present concern is trying to burn HD videos onto a dvd disk. I really haven't found a way to do it other than buying a

blu-ray burner which will make HD disks playable on a blu ray player or PS3.

We are in a High Definition ( now 3-D )age, but there seem to be very limited ways to record HD and transfer it apart from computer to computer -

and even that gets tricky sending from my Mac to another's PC. Even flash drives and small hard drives are PC or OSX specific and

file sizes are limited. Will we ever get beyond this you think?

Rather than choosing Blu-ray I bought a WD TV Live unit sold by Western Digital that streams high definition video from my computer to the TV or from a connected hard drive. That way I don't bother with burning discs. Another advantage is it plays many formats so I also don't need to re-encode the video to a special format unless I want to do so to save space. To me, Blu-ray is a nice medium for selling commercial movies and for storing a lot of data on optical discs.

thank you again very much for taking the time to help me out.

Could I also ask you if there are other blu-ray burning software out there other than Toast 10 ?

Does Nero make software for OSX ? Any you could recommend apart from Toast? I wish I could trust Toast more.

I don't know of anything other than Toast for the Mac. I'm hopeful that Roxio will release a new version of Toast that is 64 Bit and doesn't have to work with older Macs. That should improve its performance.

Rename the older Toast folder and then drag in the new one. That way you aren't replacing the old one and you won't get those messages. After you've launched the new version and are satisfied that it is working fine, trash the old folder.

The latest update to Toast 9 should work fine on your Mac. Hopefully using the update will cure the freeze issue. You can also access the EyeTV files from within Toast by selecting EyeTV from the Toast Media Browser. If that also fails you can export the EyeTV video from within EyeTV as a MPEG 2 program stream and drag that to Toast.

Hello Again,

Very much appreciate your interest in my predicaments Tsantshee.

My reason for recording HD onto blu-ray is to be able to send disks to friends and relatives.

Problem is some have PCs and not Macs. But most have a Blu-Ray player or a PS3.

For example - I have a 12gb HD recording of a sports event I want to send to my son who has a PC and a PS3.

The only options for me ( a Mac owner ) is to put the program on a Blu-Ray disc ( once I invest in a Blu-Ray burner )

( Is there one you recommend for a Mac using OSX 10.6.5 ?)

I thought about sending a flash drive back and forth to him - but I've read that flash drives will not take a single

video file greater than 4Gb or so. I would have to break the sports program into segments.

Then there is no guarantee that a flash drive would work on both a Mac and a PC

Seems like my only option is to get that BluRay burner for a Mac. Or buy my son a Mac - yeah right!

I told him to get a Mac.

Thanks again for all the help. Looks like Toast 10 is it then. Is it any faster than Toast 9 ?

Pete

Hello Again,

Very much appreciate your interest in my predicaments Tsantshee.

My reason for recording HD onto blu-ray is to be able to send disks to friends and relatives.

Problem is some have PCs and not Macs. But most have a Blu-Ray player or a PS3.

For example - I have a 12gb HD recording of a sports event I want to send to my son who has a PC and a PS3.

The only options for me ( a Mac owner ) is to put the program on a Blu-Ray disc ( once I invest in a Blu-Ray burner )

( Is there one you recommend for a Mac using OSX 10.6.5 ?)

I thought about sending a flash drive back and forth to him - but I've read that flash drives will not take a single

video file greater than 4Gb or so. I would have to break the sports program into segments.

Then there is no guarantee that a flash drive would work on both a Mac and a PC

Seems like my only option is to get that BluRay burner for a Mac. Or buy my son a Mac - yeah right!

I told him to get a Mac.

Thanks again for all the help. Looks like Toast 10 is it then. Is it any faster than Toast 9 ?

Pete

I've read some posts in the Toast 10 forum that mention certain Blu-ray burners working better than others, but don't recall which those are. Big help, right? I typically go for LaCie drives but you should check if those are working okay with Toast.

I may have another option, though. I have some HD football games that I'm keeping and also sharing with my adult son. Encoded as 720P H.264 files the ones less than 2-1/2 hours are small enough to fit on a dual-layer DVD discs and the longer ones can be split across two single-layer DVDs. My son can play h.264 HD videos on his TV using his WD TV Live. I don't know if your son can stream h.264 video with his system. Because I have an entire season of those games I'm going to buy a portable hard drive for about $50 and send it to him filled with the season's games.

Since your son has a PS3 it does make sense to burn them as a Blu-ray disc. If you don't have the Blu-ray plugin for Toast 9 then you should get Toast 10 with its plugin instead.

Archived