Convert .mov Files To M2Ts, Etc.

jeffreyg_NJ

Question

I am trying to watch projects that I create in iMovie on my HDTV via my home network. Rather than burning a DVD and playing it on my Blu-Ray player, I want to be able to play the files directly from my network. I have a network attached LG Blu-Ray player that will not read .mov files. I want to use Popcorn to convert the finished product on my computer to a file format that is viewable in this way in HD. So far, I have had no luck. The Blu-Ray player will read the raw files in the form they are downloaded from the camcorder, which is m2ts. However, after a product is created in iMovie, it saves in .mov format. I would like to convert back to m2ts if possible. Another usable format is also ok, if it is in HD. Any suggestions? thanks.

4 answers to this question

As I understand you, the LG Blu-ray player is what sends the video it receives over the network to your HDTV. What formats can that player accept? If it can accept h.264 MPEG 4 video then that is what I would choose. You can have iMovie directly export in that format.

As I understand you, the LG Blu-ray player is what sends the video it receives over the network to your HDTV. What formats can that player accept? If it can accept h.264 MPEG 4 video then that is what I would choose. You can have iMovie directly export in that format.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, the video is sent from my network hard drive to the LG Blu-Ray player which then plays the content on the connected HDTV. The Blu-Ray player is limited in the types of files that it can read/play. Here is the list: DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG (copied from the LG website.) I need to be able to convert my iMovie projects to one of these (video) formats. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, the video is sent from my network hard drive to the LG Blu-Ray player which then plays the content on the connected HDTV. The Blu-Ray player is limited in the types of files that it can read/play. Here is the list: DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG (copied from the LG website.) I need to be able to convert my iMovie projects to one of these (video) formats. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you have the Toast Blu-ray plugin you could create a Blu-ray disc image with MPEG 2 selected as the encoding format. Then mount the disc image, drag out the .m2ts file inside and see if it will play. It may be, however, that you'll need to encode as a DivX HD video instead. Toast 10 doesn't create DivX video but you can buy that encoder as a download from DivX. Otherwise, I don't see any other HD formats listed.

Oops, forgot I was in the Popcorn forum. So you don't have the Blu-ray plugin. So I suggest DivX.

If you have the Toast Blu-ray plugin you could create a Blu-ray disc image with MPEG 2 selected as the encoding format. Then mount the disc image, drag out the .m2ts file inside and see if it will play. It may be, however, that you'll need to encode as a DivX HD video instead. Toast 10 doesn't create DivX video but you can buy that encoder as a download from DivX. Otherwise, I don't see any other HD formats listed.

Oops, forgot I was in the Popcorn forum. So you don't have the Blu-ray plugin. So I suggest DivX.

Thanks. I have Toast 10 also so I will try that. Also, since posting, I tried Divx and that works so that is definitely an option. Thanks for the help!

Archived